A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

There are also a few slight spoilers in the season 3 credits and I suppose one could make an argument for season 4 as well.

I never thought "clip" credits were a good idea.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

That isn't what's being referred to here. Don't avoid the credits in general, they're pretty awesome.

It's in reference to the wrong credit sequence being used in the first two episodes, and thus showing Delenn's new appearance too soon. I believe the original version also credited Ivanova as a Lt. Commander for those first two.

A similar although less notable mistake occurs in season 4, when
    the credits which name Zack as the security chief rather than Garibaldi, originally used for about half the season, never appear.
    [

3. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Well I guess the thread title wasn't obvious enough with its "(NO spoilers, please)"...

4. Lindley

Anything behind spoiler tags is fine, so long as it doesn't devolve into a conversation entirely in spoiler tags (which I've seen happen a few times). That's just common sense.

5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Well, your post was mostly spoiler tag, is it not? :) It's just common sense not to derail the conversation with stuff that the OP/reviewer hasn't even touched on - opening credit sequences and stuff happening in season 4! :wtf:

Common sense and OP requests apply to moderators as well, I would think.

6. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Yes it does apply to them, and Lindley understands that as well as, if not better than anyone. His post had material that added to the thread and yet still hid the appropriate material behind the tags, which seems to fit everyone's needs doesn't it?

If there is a problem with spoilers. just notify and the mods for this forum will handle it.

7. Lindley

To that point I was speaking in generalities intentionally. But CorporalClegg seemed to be misunderstanding, so I had to clarify what I and Kegg were suggesting for his benefit. In order to do so, I had to use spoiler tags, because there's no other way to get sufficiently specific.

The second spoiler tag was an aside about a related oversight in the DVD creation process.

Happy? I'd rather not drag this further off-topic.

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

There were a couple of scenes in the script for "The Parliament of Dreams" that never made it to the final episode. In one, Sinclair goes to visit Ambassador Kosh to invite him to participate in the festival but is rebuffed. In the other, Sinclair and Ivanova discuss the assassination attempt against Kosh while watching some Drazi religious fireworks outside the station.

Jan

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

EDIT

Whoops - pleaz ignore. I made a joke about kosh that, I just realized, is a season 2 spoiler.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And for the record, I new what you were talking about--the season 4 reference was the same.

With season 3, I was talking about
    The White Star shown in Ivanova's monologue obviously spoils Matters of Honor...
    Though I don't know if whats originally aired that way.

Now that we're all on the same page...

11. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

This thread scares me. Five episodes in and we're on page 8? :eek:

I rather like Parliament of Dreams, in spite of it's cheesiness. The religious lineup at the end of the episode is in particular a favourite scene. I enjoyed the introduction of Na'Toth as well. She seemed like someone who could give G'Kar a run for his money, but who throws her full weight behind him to serve and honour.

Wasn't it also the first episode with the full ensamble in it?

The extra bits in the script that never made it to air are also interesting.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

My count reads page 21.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can go change your defaults to like 50 posts per page. Makes thing smaller that way in my opinion.

14. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

It's page 13 on mine.

15. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did it? I don't seem to remember Talia Winters, say, but maybe she was in that episode. I'd be curious if there were any episodes of any season that had the full ensemble listed in the credits; actually, it'd strike me as a rather rare occurrence. Unlike Star Trek B5 is seldom keen on that idea.

16. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm sure if there were any with all of the regular cast, they were few and far between. The actors would only be contracted for a certain number of episodes (8, 13 or 22) each season...if they had a guarantee at all. JMS has said that Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik didn't have a guaranteed number of episodes at all for the first two seasons.

Jan

17. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

The Lurker's Guide lists Season 4's "The Summoning" as the first episode of the series to feature the entire cast:

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/guide/069.html

Not sure if there were any after that. Probably not.

[And let me preemptively ask people not to spoil things for the OP by engaging in a discussion of who's in the cast in Season 4, unless you're going to use spoiler code.]

18. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing that bothers me about the ending scene of "The Parliament of Dreams" is that the message is "Humans are awesome because only they are diverse!" Except, JMS, that the only reason that only humans are diverse is because you couldn't be arsed to think up more than one religion/culture per civilization!

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It's my impression from the episode that you're pretty far off the mark with the "why" for that scene. It was simply Sinclair's answer to the reason for the occasion. Everyone was to put on display their dominant religious belief. Sinclair's problem from his perspective was there was no dominant belief system on Earth at that time - hence the diverse crowd we see. Sinclair was as much a diplomat as he was military, and his solution was simply to underscore what he saw. There was no message of "superiority", by Sinclair or jms. It was simply what you saw on-screen, a celebration of Earth diversity, not a declaration of anyone's superiority. As the scriptbook mentions, that scene underscored the commonality shared amongst those representatives - they were all from Earth. It was their home. No matter what other differences they had, they were part of the same community.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That's exactly how it came across to me. It sure isn't a declaration of superiority, not if Sinclair has that much trouble figuring out how to display or explain it.