So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished City of Bones yesterday. Found it rather meh, but I will probably eventually give the second book a try.

Right now I think I'll try the first Leven Thumps book. The covers and titles have made me curious - Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo?? :lol:

2. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently reading the (so far, as expected, excellent!) Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures by Christopher L. Bennett. So far, my only concern is how to link to the (sure to be glowing) review in my signature with that huge title and the imposed character limit!

Speaking of which, I just published my review of William Leisner's superb The Shocks of Adversity.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Reading Peter David's Imzadi from the early 90's. Nice story of Riker and Troi and how they met. Some humerous exchanges between future Data and Riker as well. Overall a smooth easy read.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek Enterprise Rise of the Federation.I've really enjoyed reading this book so far.:techman:

5. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finally, reading "Betrayal" by Lois Tilton (ST-DS9 #6) after reading 1 & 2 Esdras (Apocrypha), rereading "Hand Me Another Brick" by Charles R. Swindoll, and "A Handbook of Norse Mythology" (translated by Crowell) by Karl Mortensen (1898, 1913). And, I did finish reading "Directive 51" by John Barnes (2010) which moved better towards the end of the book. But, it is a trilogy and I do not think the third book is out yet. The author may wish to edit earlier works and self-publish or some such thing.

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just got Christopher's A Choice of Futures and I've jumped right in. Only about 20 pages so far, and I'm absolutely loving it! I'd been waiting for this book with baited breathe. Can't wait to get all the way in :techman:

7. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Same here. Downloaded it last night and read the first chapter or so before bed. I was a bit nervous because I'm not the biggest Enterprise fan, though I didn't hate it as some did. But Christopher drew me right in from the start!

8. Phantasy Star

Phantasy Star Cadet Newbie

I'm reading Star Trek TNG Vendetta from 1991 and it's written by Peter David. I'm a bit over have way through and it's my first st book, and I loving it.

9. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

War Drums by John Vornolt. Nice little Ensign Ro side story in this one.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just got a huge amount of Lovecraft /Cthulu stuff on Kindle and received a mint copy of DC Fontana's Questor Tapes paperback through the post, so either could be next.

I am curious if Questor works as a prequel to Immortal Coil and Persistence Of Memory, so that one I think...

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just about to start ENT: A Choice of Futures

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Only by implication; since Questor is owned by Universal, he can't be explicitly referenced in a licensed Trek novel. But I've long considered The Questor Tapes to be part of my personal Trek continuity.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That will do for me !

It will help occupy me while I'm waiting for Amazon to send me my new Enterprise novel...which they say I won't get until around 23 July.

14. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I just got a copy of The Questor Tapes on DVD from Amazon. It's one of those "Burn On Demand" (BOD...?) titles. All Roddenberry's failed '70's pilots except Spectre are now available like that.

15. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I read The Witch of Blackbird Pond over the last couple days - very enjoyable. Not sure where I'm headed next.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I got Genesis II and Planet Earth in that format a while back. I haven't gotten Questor yet since I still have it on VHS, though I think the image quality is pretty poor.

Spectre's the only Roddenberry pilot movie I haven't seen. Although I gather I'm not missing much.

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Took a break from my other reading to enjoy Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures by Christopher. Really liking it so far! :bolian:

From there, it's back to The History of White People by Nell Irvin Painter. It's a fascinating look at the history of the concept of whiteness, of who's "white" and who "isn't," and how that list has changed over the centuries.

Then, I'm going to finish re-reading Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy by Christopher Hayes. A more brilliant analysis of the sickness of modern American culture, I have not seen.

After that, it's back to The Honourable Schoolboy by John le Carré , which I have to admit I'm having some trouble getting through. It's not as engaging as The Spy Who Came in From the Cold or Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy so far. But by gosh, I will get through this and make my way through the conclusion to the Karla trilogy, Smiley's People.

From there, I'm not sure whether to read Dirty Wars: The World is a Battlefield by Jeremy Scahill or Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading The Seventh scroll by Wilbur Smith, Tos A choice of Catastrophies by Micheal Schuster& Steve Moll and the new Enterprise Rise of the Federation I really enjoyed reading this book a lot! I started reading Saving the sun by Ben Bova.

19. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Sarek by A.C. Crispin.

Techincally re-reading - it's one of about 6 Trek books I read back in the 90s.

20. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Read Paths of Disharmony and The Struggle Within this week, and started Fallen Gods.