Details for J. K. Rowling's next novel

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainCanada, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Putting fantasy behind her for the time being, we've got a description of JKR's followup to the best-selling book series of all time (tough act to follow). Will it set the world on fire? Will it be judged a colossal disappointment?

I'll be reading, either way.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It may not be fantasy, but it sounds pretty Rowlingesque in other ways. There was a lot of political and social satire and dark humor underlying all the magic and fantasy tropes of Harry Potter.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't she have a murder mystery published under a different name? When I worked at B&N I remember more than a couple people mentioning it.

4. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Rowling's next book will be called The Casual Vacancy and will be published Sept 27, for those who are interested.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If it weren't by her I definitely wouldn't be interested but I'll have to check it out!

6. CaptainCanada

She suggested she might do that, but decided against it.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Reading that description, it sounds boring - the stuff Sharpe and Amis were doing decades ago

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

It's a brave choice, following up Potter with something in the "general fiction" or even possibly "chick lit" category. Sort of the equivalent of Radcliffe following it up with his movie about Allen Ginsberg rather than signing up for Star Trek and Emma Watson doing a cameo in that Marilyn Monroe movie rather than signing on to Hunger Games.

Thing is Rowling is set for life. She doesn't have to write another word and she'll still be richer than most kings. So this gives her the opportunity to experiment. And who knows - you know full well this book is probably already lined up for a movie even before it sees print. Maybe this one will get Best Picture of 2014 or something. So best of luck to her and if the book appeals to me when it's actually released I might give it a try.

I just hope she gets that Potter Encyclopedia written up (which has been described as the Potter equivalent of the Silmarillion).

Alex

9. Argus Skyhawk

I'm looking forward to it, because I've been quite curious how her writing style will feel when she is writing outside of the Harry Potter series.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I was under the impression that it came out, circa 2001. But I have no idea what it is.

11. CaptainCanada

No, she floated the idea of publishing future works under a pseudonym midway through the last decade, but eventually decided against it (partly because she figured the press would find out about it pretty quickly anyway).

12. Argus Skyhawk

I had wondered if she was pulling a Richard Bachman on us, but yeah, I'm sure that would be a pretty difficult secret to keep. After all, we know who Richard Bachman is.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm betting now that this gets a critical mauling, whether it deserves it or not. The UK literary reviewing circle is as cliquey and bitchy as it gets. The knives will be out now, because they've been waiting for years to stick them in JK - the Potter books having been critic-proof. Merit will have nothing to do with it - so many of the critics will want to be able to say "Oh, she can write kids' books, but she can't write real literature!"

She could write something with the wit of Catch-22, the scope of Atonement, the realism and grime of Trainspotting and the dynamism of James Ellroy and they'll still slate it.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds terrible.

She is not really a good writer.

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're right, unfortunately.

The subject matter doesn't really appeal to me either, but I'll give it a try.

Why do you say she isn't a good writer?

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The rumors of the pseudonymous novel are older than that, however. I'm aware of what she said later, but it was believed around 2000-1 that she had published a mystery novel under a pseudonym.

17. I'm surprised to hear so much pessimism. THe concept sounds right up her alley, providing ripe opportunity for the kind of somewhat over-the-top british-y humor and conflict that permeated Harry Potter. Kind of like when Umbridge took over the school or the ministry of magic stuff in later books.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, it's clear from the HP books that she hates politicians. Not that I blame her. But disgust and distrust of government is definitely a theme in the later books of the series.

It sounds interesting, I'll definitely pick it up. I want to see what else she's capable of outside of Harry Potter.

I did read an article a day or two ago where she discussed the encyclopedia.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ She doesn't hate all politicians. She was an enthusiastic supporter of the last Labout government, even under Gordon Brown.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Labout government? Man you Tories would have killed for that as a slogan a few years ago :lol: