Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's true, when I watch Clone Wars I just can't picture Anakin doing what he did in ROTS based solely on the events as presented.

EDIT: Meant ROTS not AOTC

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Umm... don't you think the death of his wife would affect him even more?

I mean, we've already seen what pushed him over the edge. And we've seen that at the start of ROTS, he wasn't yet over the edge, just close to it. And we were clearly shown how the events of that film led to his ultimate fall. For all the prequel trilogy's problems, it did, I feel, satisfactorily explain and depict Anakin's descent. Frankly, I think giving him another great, tragic loss just before ROTS would be inconsistent with his canonical portrayal.

3. Mr. Adventure

To natural causes (in a dream....), no, didn't do much for me. Like I say I especially can't see CW Anakin crumbling for that.

I realize I'm doing that annoying thing of trying to rewrite what's out there. I just really dislike how that played out in the movies.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obi-Wan shouldn't actually act on his need for revenge. But it would be in Anakin's nature to do so.

5. Mr. Adventure

Obi-Wan did seem to handle the event in a very Jedi-like manner.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because revenge is not the Jedi way. It's one of the reasons Lucas wisely chose to rename Episode VI from Revenge of the Jedi to Return of the Jedi.

I could see Obi fighting Maul and ultimately taking him into custody or Maul somehow dies of his own accord, but the idea of Obi killing Maul in revenge for Satine doesn't feel right. Plus it goes against the whole Jedi detachment thing.

Anakin killing Maul makes more sense, especially if Ashoka is his victim, because we have seen Anakin kill in anger over a loved one before and we know what his attachment to Padme will lead to in Episode 3. Anakin taking revenge just puts him one step closer to a complete embrace of the dark side.

Plus it would might answer some of those Vader v. Maul debates.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't see Ahsoka dying immediately before SITH, because then it raises the question of why no-one mentions her during the entire movie. Why doesn't anybody say "Anakin, you're acting out of grief over Ahsoka!"? Plus at the opening of SITH Anakin is pretty chummy with Obi-Wan, not sullen and dark.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually don't think the prequels did a good job explaining Anakin's fall. Granted, we were shown how the events of the films led to his fall, though some of the decisions made didn't feel organic to me. It felt a bit herky jerky. That being said, I don't see how Ashoka's death would be inconsistent with his canonical portrayal, outside of Ashoka not being mentioned.

Even if she survives the series, the fact or problem that she isn't mentioned remains. We saw in Episode 2 how Anakin could rebound from a major dark side outburst so I don't see why the same couldn't be done here, with Anakin flipping out over Ashoka's death, but getting it together enough to be the guy he was at the start of ROTS. But even that guy was on the edge, questioning right or wrong, his moral compass skewed. Perhaps Ashoka's death is the thing that makes him more willing to off Dooku?

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What an excellent end to a highly entertaining arc. I re-watched it from last season's "Nightsisters" and altogether the 8 episodes are probably the highlight of the series so far for me, anyway. Even though there is very little Jedi in them... yes I did enjoy the silly 'magic' of Dathomir. Everything involving the Mandalorians was excellent as well. To finally see them come to screen canon in such a manner was beyond my expectations.

But to see Sidious instead of Palpatine for a change of pace was incredible! Has he been seen in The Clone Wars in any episodes prior? I can't recall, but certainly not with his lightsaber.

About the ongoing discussion of Ahsoka's fate (as well as Maul's) it makes me wonder if The Clone Wars production team have had any knowledge of the upcoming Star Wars prequel trilogy during this season, last season, even earlier? Would it be much of a stretch to see Ahsoka in episode 7 and beyond? She'd be old, sure, but maybe her race doesn't age quickly. It just seems like she's becoming more of a central character of this show and probably has lots of young fans... I can't imagine the people behind the new films haven't considered using her in some capacity. We'll likely get Boba Fett out of the Almighty Sarlacc pit as well... everyone (even Lucas) admits it was a shitty way to go out.

Maul, I firmly believe, won't last. The status quo will remain: Obi Wan will kill him, probably in a huge explosion so he won't sew himself back together with spider legs again. It wouldn't be right for Anakin to off him.

I do like where this discussion is leading with Akanin... Ahsoka could survive and it may seem to him like she's dead. But then how will this show end and stitch into ROTS? Will the story lead up to the opening of ROTS? It's not necessary.

I was loving when Sidious came in on the Super Maul Bros. because I knew he was sensing them as threats... Maul was so satisfied with himself for getting the revenge that he loves so much. I wonder... if Luke had agreed to join the dark side in ROTJ, would Sidious have had a similar show down with Vader? 'You've been replaced, etc'

The conversation between Obi Wan and Maul was excellent as well. They never traded words in TPM, did they? Obi Wan tries to appeal to him with a rational argument, 'I've been to your village, I know the dark side was a choice forced upon you, etc.'

As for the begging, although it did seem out of place I need to see it again.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

When Maul is finally killed, I want to see Anakin/Obi-Wan slice up the corpse (off-panel) into a dozen pieces and say "just to be sure" :lol:

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Nightsisters is a season 3 episode.

I know that he appeared as a hologram in the TCW film.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Pretty sure we've seen him in Sidious mode on several occasions, but usually giving orders to underlings; I don't recall if we've seen him fight before.

You mean sequel trilogy, right?

Ian Abercrombie, the voice of Palpatine/Sidious, died about a year and a week ago, so these scripts would've been written and recorded before then. It's not clear how long ago the outline for the sequels was settled on.

Wookieepedia says a Togruta's average lifespan is about 94 standard years. Ahsoka was born c. 36 BBY, so she would've been around 40 at the time of Return of the Jedi. If the new movies bring back any of the original actors, then we might expect them to be set about 30-odd years after ROTJ to reflect the actors' real-life aging, so that would put Ahsoka in her 70s. That's about 75-80% of her people's average life expectancy, so if we assume a standard of living comparable to the United States, that would correspond to around 60 for a human -- not really that old at all.

I don't think Maul ever spoke in the movie.

13. Mr. Adventure

He spoke to Palps/Sid at least.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

In The Lawless, before the opening titles, are the words

Darth Maul has three lines in The Phantom Menace, voiced by Peter Serafinowicz. The first two are on Coruscant, and the last is on Naboo.

15. Mr. Adventure

Oddly enough he spoke in one of the "tone poem" ads as well.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZE1UM6xpjM[/yt]

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't let Obi Wan do it. He cuts people up, lets them burn alive and they still come back after him. Poor guy can't get a break.

17. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my close friends is always complaining that Obi-Wan gets his ass kicked too often in the prequels. I wonder if Obi-Wan is going to 'lose his shit' after Satine's execution and get some revenge of his own? I don't think so. It doesn't seem in his character. Is Obi-Wan not the most centered Jedi around? Besides his forbidden romance to Satine, of course. he seemed quite composed from his rescue.

Quite right! I meant to say Massacre.

Indeed I did! My post was mangled up. The Superbowl's been distracting me from the mighty TrekBBS. The sooner it's over I can re-watch this arc from the beginning again.

Oh! We haven't discussed the death of The Twilght, have we? Poor old ship. Under the circumstances, I can't imagine Anakin giving Obi Wan hell. I actually hope they deal a little bit with the fall out next week... these are big events in Obi Wan's overall character.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not saying he should actually go after him looking for revenge. I just think if he dies it should be by Obi-Wan's blade.

19. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Uhhh....

If Anakin can just Force push the buzz droids away so easily, why didn't Obi-Wan do that in ROTS?