Any old timers still around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kgibsonuk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Did it have something to do with that somewhat obnoxious happiness and sunshine nonsense you used to be high on?

2. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Used to be? :vulcan:

3. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been TorontoTrekker since I first joined. It's pretty descriptive of me, although the convention I volunteer for, which used to be called Toronto Trek, changed its name to Polaris in 2007.

If I were to change my name, the only other name I use online is a nickname that was given to me by a bartender at the place I used to hang out at, when I was telling him about how I was working on three conventions and trying to get a fourth one started. He said, "Your problem is, you're the boy who can't say 'no'." That's how I acquired the Livejournal handle "boywhocantsayno", and I use it in a few other places as well. I enjoy letting people misinterpret its meaning. ;)

(Though I probably shouldn't use it on dating websites... ;) )

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I've been LeadHead my entire 12 years here, besides the occasional holiday name change of course.

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I use a different name on every board. It makes it easier to sort my contacts, PMs, mails etc.
    And of course every name has a set of different passwords which I change at random intervals. Call me paranoid, but at least this way none of my accounts has ever been hacked.
    My current username on this board is the result of a late night chat in a somewhat giddy atmosphere, a botanical tongue twister and the global warming.

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Aside from holiday name changes I've always been TheSeeker.

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've never changed my name, though sometimes I've been tempted to request a space being added between 'The' and 'Brew'. I didn't realize you could put in spaces when I joined 11 years ago.

I sort of wish there was a way for me to go over my entire post history. It would be an interesting time capsule.

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^ I think you can go back to 2008. Posts from 2007 seems to be sporadic. Too bad I can't go back to 2006, the year I finally signed up.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I would love to do this as well. On this same note, I do sort of miss the old warning utility that would link you straight to posts that people (not just yourself) were warned for. I get why the got rid of it, but there was a quiet amusement that could be had with it when the mood struck. :shrug:

10. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting, I always assumed your name intentionally translated to "psycho dad", since pere is father in French.

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GFq6usPg6U[/yt]

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    When Al Bundy enters a thread, its immortality is assured.

13. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started on the board using my real name, at the time I was just posting in the trek only boards.

Once Google started indexing board posts, and my name is uncommon and easily searched, I moved to my more common handle.

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQR7PPSX_M[/yt]

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, at the time I registered I didn't know that, so it later became one reason that I've occasionally considered a change. I was definitely too young to be a father when I registered here.

As I recall, kgibsonuk used to call me "psycho dad" often. :p

16. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

HIIIIIII, WACKY!

18. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I've been Zion Ravescene since before I joined the TrekBBS - I first used the name on two different BBSs which I signed up to earlier in 2004 but hardly ever visit these days. However, in what will be very close to 8 years ago now, I didn't originally sign up here as Zion Ravescene.

Incidentally, I've been considering changing the username again - this time simplifying things just to ZR (seeing as that's how most people here address me these days - I mean, Zion Ravescene is a bit of a mouthful, or so they say... ;)).

Name changes aside, it wouldn't be you without that iconic avatar of yours. :)

In fact, I find that some of the most memorable users here are those with the same old avatars, never (or rarely) changing over time and therefore becoming inextricably but reassuringly linked to that person, to the extent that I can't picture the posts of that person without their avatar by their side. It even works in reverse in some cases, where I associate the image as depicted in the avatar with the user on the TrekBBS.

19. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HELLO OLD TIMER!

20. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic! I'll have to learn that song for the next time I'm at karaoke. (With one particular lyrical change, of course... ;) )

D'awwww. I've never had the word "iconic" associated with me before. :o

I remember, a few years ago, I was asked to participate in an April Fools' Day avatar swap. I got at least one PM from someone who had been temporarily confused until they spotted my avatar being used by someone else. :D

But I know what you mean. There are a few people whose avatars I've gotten used to seeing over the years, and which bring a smile to my face when I see them. Especially when the poster hasn't been around as much as they used to be.