And now The Newsroom....

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Warped9, May 13, 2013.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

We haven't gotten to November yet in "showtime", its still September.

All of the deposition/mock testimony scenes are taking place over a period of 5 days at the beginning of November (Jim states its been 5 days, Will states that it's the day before the election on November 6th). But as far as the main timeline of the show itself, we're still a couple of days after Benghazi, September 11th 2012. Sandy doesn't happen until the end of October. Unfortunately, there are only two episodes left this season, and by the titles both seem to be about the election. Hurricane Sandy made landfall in New York around the 29th of October, which was only a week before the election. So they may or may not get to it.

I know this season has been wrecking with people's brains as far as the timeline goes, but if you piece it all together it makes sense. All of the scenes with Becca are taking place in November 2012, the season itself started around September 11th 2011, the Uganda trip takes place shortly after that, and Maggie gets her redhead haircut probably on the one year anniversary of the Uganda trip (which is why she's been blond this whole season).

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, since the last episode ended shortly before the election and the next two episodes seem to take place on election night, judging by the title (and I might add, the promo and the synopsis), I figured the show had finally caught up to their here and now.

I guess there could be some flashbacks. But that would mean going back behind the emotional culmination of the last episode and I don't really see that happening. But we'll see.

3. tighr

If both episodes take place during election night, that also means we aren't going to get a resolution on the lawsuit until next season.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The suit doesn't have to be settled in court.

Imagine this...

"We're screwed. What we really need is an act of god."

Cue a bolt of lightning.

A Bolt of Lightning?

A Bolt of lightning!

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely the best episode of the season, possibly of the whole series. It was a little muddled at the start, but once the Genoa story aired things started to hum just right.

Maybe the team will put on such an amazing election night broadcast that they'll win back the trust of the public, and Jerry Dantana will learn the true meaning of journalism and drop the lawsuit.

Or that story will just disappear into Mandyland, like Will's death threats.

6. Guy Gardener

Yeah... But he filmed a clock?

How fricking dumb is he?

You ever watched Star Trek 6 and tried not to notice the huge digital clock above the view screen that's having a mental episode?

7. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Just saw it tonight. Best episode of the series to date. No contest there. Amazingly done. If The Newsroom isn't nominated next year for Best Drama Series in the Emmys, they need to stop having the Emmys.

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was hoping they'd deal more with Jerry than just the "You're fired." "I know" bit that we saw between him and Mac in the elevator.

I mean I know the whole season up to this point has been them dealing with his wrongful termination case, so I realize they're dealing with it that way, but I would have liked to see more of Jerry explaining why he did what he did. Well, there are still two more episodes left, I may get my wish yet.

And yes, this was a superb episode.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

We kind of already did, when he went into demented white boy mode, hell bent to bring down the presidency at all costs and he started yelling at everyone about how they liked the president too much to be objective. Pretty much summed up his agenda to me...

He hated the president soooo much, he was willing to risk his ethics, career, and everybody else's to get him impeached with a fake story.

10. Guy Gardener

Just to clarify, according to Sorkin on Colbert, in the real world, what this is based on, the story was real.

The guy changed the tape because the source wouldn't repeat what he said off camera, on camera.

11. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

I wondered if it was based on a real event, but don't remember anything like that reaching the UK.

dJE

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I suppose I just would have liked to see more of him after getting fired. Now like I said, there's two episodes left, so I may still get my wish, but I thought it was kind of a cheat that his finale scene was basically: "You're fired." "I know."

13. tighr

Which just raises the question, did they really use Sarin gas? And Newsnight just couldn't prove it? Or was the general full of shit off-camera when he said "It happened".

14. Guy Gardener

I reviewed the sequence from the episode 10 seconds ago. All Jerry asked before the interview started was "Do you understand that we are talking about a classified mission and that it did happen". Stephen Root says "yes", and then Jerry turned the camera on.

It was a shit preinterview, because Jerry thought he general was squirely and that Charlie and Mac had already forced the truth out of him.

(Do I now have to go back and find the Charlie/Mac/General conversation?)

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeanwhile...

The white house unclassified all the paperwork behind Genoa after the news report aired.

Which was a massive "Go fuck yourself".

It was all above board, or a massive trick.

But the news Night people seemed to believe that it was above board.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

He said that Genoa happened.

He didn't say that Genoa involved the use of Sarin gas.

16. Guy Gardener

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Not even Seinfeld?

18. tighr

And now, the news that sarin gas was used in Syria.

19. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

So, tonight's ep, no one? No one?

I'm watching it right now. OMG! This ep is on FIRE! I even like Reece! REECE!

The dialogue is whip smart and fast. The characters are working their butts off, as are the actors driving them. The behind the scenes of the election coverage is great. The dodgy saring as report arc is in the background, and it leaves usd in a cliffhanger!

Best ep so far for me.

Opinions?

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Was watching the Dallas/NY game. I suspect others might have as well. Will be looking at it soon. Loved seeing Eli cry like a little bitch. Manning that is, not Thompson. :D