Paramount officially announces Star Trek 3 for 2016

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Because

• It's not major news;
    • No one cared.

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Yup, including the truly epic STAR TREK NEMESIS. [insert obligatory smilie to indicate sarcasm].

I'm not asking for these films to become high brow like CITIZEN KANE or 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. Trek has never been that. But I think it could do much better writing wise.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, the kidney ripped out attitude does seem to occur ;) I like the way you put that.

I will agree the writing was weak in spots, but there were several spots were it shined through. One of my favorite scenes is Sulu's message to Harrison, and McCoy's response.

I also enjoy Khan's lines and the menace that he provides behind every line.

Also, as much garbage as the scene in the reactor gets, both Pine and Quinto sell that scene in a powerful way.

While much of the writing is not stellar, the characters behind it give so much more weight for me.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Could you elaborate?

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By putting the only fanboy from a previous writing team into a supervisory position over two new writers, and even contemplating him for the Director's chair presumably. Yeah, fuck those fanboys! Good riddance to those fair-weather, freeloading bastards. :lol:

6. xavier

xavier Commander

Orci is not that bad of a fanboy. Lindelof was the real fanboy the whole rehashing khan and women unnecessary stripping to attract the male audience was his idea.

Orci wanted a new original trek but he was overruled by Lindelof. Lindelof is gone now.:techman:

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Updated summer Schedule (ST3 go for May 20?)

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd almost go May 13 and head-to-head with the Universal comedy and week two of Captain America. The sci-fi/fantasy dollars will be pretty split come 5/27.

9. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The harsh reality is that Trek will not be competitive with comic book movies (or X-Men, at the very least). Better to be the big fish in a small pond.

10. fireproof78

Yeah, I think Lindelof being gone may end up being the allowance to go in a different direction than ID was. Regardless, it is a change that makes me excited to see what happens :)

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Good goddamn. I knew summer 2016 was crowed but this list is like overkill. No wonder WB moved Batman v Superman to the last week of March. Nothing in April can compete it. Trek's XIII's best bet is to take a spot in August. Hopefully that isn't filled yet.

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

"Fleet detonation" is no less plausible than flying the Enterprise underwater.

13. Khan 2.0

actually I don't think June looks too bad. If Paramount don't want ST3 in the now traditional May opening due to CA3/XMA then June looks okish

14. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it would be better if they went for a fall slot. Typically movies like this would have a better chance premiering in a November slot. Much like the James Bond movies have for the last couple decades. With all these big movies coming out in summer 2016, Trek won't stand much of a chance.

15. Khan 2.0

Trek XI/XII more than held their own amongst the big summer blockbusters and those summers were just as (or even more) crowded with potentially huge movies. XI went up against Wolverine (XMen 4 at the time), Angels&Demons (Da Vinci 2),and Terminator 4 (starring Bale post TDK) and blew them all away domestically and ww only lost out to A&D. XII had to compete with IM3, F&F6, HO3, & Gatsby and did well beating HO and Gatsby.

Anyway Fall 2016 is shaping up to be just as crowded as the summer (and not including Avatar 2 yet)

November
    Skull Island (Uni.) - 11/4
    Trolls (Fox) - 11/4
    Sinister Six (Sony) - 11/11
    Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (WB) - 11/18
    Untitled Disney Animation (Nov. 2016) (BV)

December
    Alvin and the Chipmunks 4 (Fox) - 12/16
    Untitled Star Wars (BV) - 12/16
    Untitled Illumination Entertainment (2016) (Uni.)

Kong, Spidey, Potter, SW and Avatar!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Is "Universal R-Rated Comedy" the name of the actual film? Hollywood is really getting lazy...

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it's a currently untitled comedy from Universal which will be rated R.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It would be funny if that was the title and it was rated PG-13. :lol:

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Still be a better title than "Sausage Party".

20. fireproof78

We're waiting on the focus group results first ;)