Lady in the Water - A Prediction About Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw Lady in the Water again last night. I hadn't seen it since 2006, so this time something said in the movie got my attention in a way it didn't before. It was when Story was telling Vick about what kind of influence his book would have in the future. It went something like this...

"A boy in the Midwest of this land will grow up in a home where your book will be on the shelf and spoken of often. He will grow up with these ideas in his head. He will grow into a great orator. He will speak and his words will be heard throughout this land and throughout the world. This boy will become leader of this country and begin a movement of great change. He will speak of you and your words. Your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. It will be the seeds of change..."

When I heard it, I immediately thought of Barack Obama.

I just thought I'd put this out there.

2. Saratoga NX-3842

Saratoga NX-3842 Supreme Overlord of the Universe

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Aren't there enough people trying to claim Obama has "questionable associations" without trying to tie him to this dud of a movie? ;)

4. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"questionable associations" Claim? There's ample empirical evidence that supports he does thank you very much.

And ah, really the Messiah theme (movies heralding his coming...) makes me want to hurl. Any other politician would be (rightly) skewered for permitting it to go on without an abrupt and high pitched denouncement from all within his circle.

Sharr

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is just like all that Nostradamus crap. It's worded so broadly that it could theoretically apply to anything and anyone.

6. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I expect the same can be said about almost any leader of a country in History?

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably.

Obama's associations are certainly less "questionable" than Dubya's. :lol:

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Not me. I'm not from the midwest.

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

it fits though!

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You want something impressive, how about The West Wing basing its Latino president-to-be Santos on Obama a mere four months after the 2004 convention, and having him run against an old, white-haired moderate GOP Senator introduced just weeks later?

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Dude... Can we wait for Barack Obama to actually do something before he gets deified. I mean he was elected to the office of president not Jesus. Let's see him actually do something like actually keep his campaign promises which would be a first for any American politician. And that's all he is until he proves otherwise. Just another politician. Certainly the most overrated in recent history since he hasn't done shit. This is no conservative speaking BTW but this Obama praising is the most befuddling phenomenon since the Pet Rock. I mean yeah... Bush sucks but still...

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I think it's the sheer amount of suckitude on the part of The Unspeakable One that makes people want to embrace Obama so much and so heartily. Had Voldemor....errr, TUO not led the US(and the world)into such woeful times, we would not see such a swing to the other.

Hell, just see my sig!!!

13. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

One of the big problems with that movie is that it's never specified whether or not this apparent leader was the next Washington or the next Hitler...so please, no comparisons yet.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

How many terroists did GWB associate with again? :rolleyes:
    Which colleague of GWB damn's America? :rolleyes:

God Polaris your bias is so thick.

15. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

Somebody check Obama's bookshelf for The Cookbook.

... yeah, that's the name of the book in the movie. And it's all about M Night's "thoughts on leaders and stuff" (an actual quote). Sweet Jesus that movie sucked.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

He's pretty friendly with those Saudis.

17. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

And I think the administration as a whole have done/are doing a great job of damning America.

18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Can we keep the sophomoric political debates to TNZ were they belong! This forum is reserved for sophomoric debates on Sci Fi and Fantasy! :devil:

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Your about to find out its US policy, stated or otherwise, to be friendly with them. Your going to be dissapointed if you think an Obama administration gets harsh with the Royals.

Opinion. Nothing factual. Wait till the Trillion Dollar New Deal II Bailout happens. Now that'll be some damning.

Sure. I think the LITW quote is vague for a reason. In 10 years it could apply to someone else equally as "accurate".

20. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I heard it, I immediately thought that M. Night Shawhatever's narcissism had grown bigger than a Dyson Sphere. It's not enough he sticks himself into ever larger cameo roles in his movies, but in LITW, he plays a writer who will apparently change the world.