Series with the best music

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by john titor, May 17, 2009.

1. john titor

john titor Captain

As in in game music, the themes for certain moments of action. TOS all the way for me. Its incredibly dramatic, yet just subdued enough not to overpower the scenes but to add to them. All the other series pale in comparison imo. Probably the best music in a tv show ever. Its filmic and original. Originality is a key ingredient missing in most music.

2. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

Actually, I think Enterprise, especially in the latter half of the short lived series had the best music. I wasn't overly thrilled with the title sequence, but, I remember (and I don't have the DVDs yet to review the last season especially) thinking that the music was quite impressive.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS is the music I remember and can hum at appropriate moments to annoy people. It's very distinctive and makes me think a little repetition is a good thing in series music.

However I did admire the music in ENT at certain points. I remember the music in Cold Front was quite noticeably good, very dramatic and and a little eerie.

4. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

TOS here too, and I think television shows now don't use music nearly as well has past shows.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

TNG though like others mentioned, ENT went on to develop an impressive soundtrack towards the end

6. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I'm a little torn about the music of "Star Trek". On one hand, I find it more catchy and memorable than that of the other series, but at the same time, there's so little variety, which makes it get repetitive and annoying. For example, there are the exact same melodies played every time 1) An enemy is shown, 2) Something bad happens, and 3) There's a fight. This gets really tiresome, especially when those things happen multiple times in a single episode. So I think "Star Trek" has the most fun music overall, but I appreciate how TNG and DS9 have more subtlety and variety in their music.

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

It depends on my mood, really.

Too Much Fun kind of nailed my opinion as well. When I want something that's light, catchy, nostalgic and stuff along those lines, I tend to go to TOS. When I want a greater variety, I go towards TNG and DS9.

ENT did boast some pretty badass music near the end. I'll definitely agree with that as well.

8. john titor

john titor Captain

Just my opinion but...

TNG had snooze fest music. Usually Picard would start off "captains log stardate 1234567, I am currently presiding over legislative revisions to a trade agreement between Ligosians and the Marklars, persuant to the treaty of Gilgameck blah blah blah" And this kind of pastel fifths string arrangement is playing in the background as if to emphasize how boring Picard and his universe is.

Its kind of the same with DS9. Its like supermarket or elevator orchestral music. TOS just stands out which is why I like it. VOY had the worst music though, it was just a poor imitation of BTTF.

9. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The music of TOS sounds quite dated and a little overdone, IMO. It probably fit in with the time period in which it was created, but to watch it now, the music stands out in a bad way. Early TNG had a few episodes with great music. There's no denying how original and great the score for "The Best of Both Worlds" is. The later seasons, however, become more subdued and less interesting. DS9 and VOY's music was pretty lackluster. Most of it sounded generic and recycled. ENT's music in the first couple of seasons continued the trend of generic, uninspired scores. However, towards the end, it became more interesting.

Really, Trek's best music has come from the feature films.

10. Jasper Sierra

Jasper Sierra Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

TOS. Its over dramatic and campy, which makes it fun while setting the feel for any scene.