These Haunted Seas

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did These Haunted Seas sell well enough to reprint Mission Gamma 3 and 4 into an Omnibus (collection)

2. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

We will never know how well it sold. Pocket does not release those types of numbers.

3. Man of Steel

No but if I recall, Marco once said that based on how well it does, he would consider reprinting the last two and all I'm asking is if we will see it. I just bought THS and would hate to be left hanging.

4. David Henderson

David Henderson Commodore Commodore

Pocket doesn't release the exact numbers, of course, but many times the Star Trek Editors do announce when a particular book has gone back for a second or later printing, and whether or not the numbers were high enough to justify producing the next volume.

davidh

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

What usually triggers reprints is stores attempting to do special orders on bookstocks that have been exhausted at the warehouse. What the proposed "Mission: Gamma" 3/4 omnibus needs is lots of people who bought "These Haunted Seas" pestering their bookshops to order the next "Mission Gamma" books, which will probably come on computers as "currently out of print".

And if Pocket does keep you hanging - and that's highly unlikely - you can always try the library, online booksellers or eBook versions and get hold of the MMPB versions of these books. In fact, copies of "Cathedral", "Lesser Evil" - and "Rising Son" and "Unity" - are still sitting on bookshelves in shops here.

6. Man of Steel

Here doesn't help me in America (which I'm leaving for a bit). :)

7. Therin of Andor

Meaning if they are on bookshelves in several shops in Sydney, then they'll just as likely be on bookshelves in the US.

Have you tried asking in a store that has computerised records of the stock in all of their branches?

Don't you live in New York? If that huge, multi-level, second hand bookshop in Greenwich Village doesn't have them I'll eat my antennae. :bolian:

8. Man of Steel

What bookshop in the village? It's very rare that I ever go there. Besides, now that I have THS it's easier to collect the last two as a collection as well.

9. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I assume Ian is referring to the Strand on Broadway and 12th.

10. Therin of Andor

I guess so. I stumbled across it accidentally in 1984 - and was overwhelmed. Is it three levels? Four? And everything was in alphabetical order, and in categories.

Here in Oz, we still have a few two-level second hand bookstores but they usually resemble junk heaps. Although the shelves are marked in categories, from the 60s and 70s, the aisles are overflowing with unsorted stacks, and no one has dusted or sorted since... the 60s.

When I got home from that US trip, I started to think of all the books I should have looked for while I was there. I probably could have filled every gap in my collection. In 1992, I was able to return. I had just an hour or so but I told my traveling companion what books were on my rather eclectic list - including the original hardcover of Helene Hanff's "Apple of My Eye" (with the photos of New York), never imported to Oz, and which people told me was rare, rare, rare - and he stood aside, totally bemused, while I raced to every category shelf and effortlessly found every book on my list, including a pristine Hanff.

No idea what their ST section is like these days, but if the store is as neat as it was in 1992, you'll know fairly quickly after a quick browse.

11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

There's no such thing as a "quick" browse in the Strand, unless you just walk in to use the rest room...... :lol:

12. Therin of Andor

Except when its the fifth bookshop of the day and your traveling companion elects to stand at the front door, yelling, "Are you done yet?"

13. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

"Browsing" in the rest room is illegal in most states, isn't it?

14. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ It's okay if you're there to appreciate the poetry.

15. Man of Steel

Or the artwork.

16. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sales for for Twist of Faith turned out much softer than I'd hoped they'd be. And while it's still too early to know with certainty about These Haunted Seas, early signs are indicating the same thing. So I have no plans at the present time for a third DS9 omnibus.

But I can offer a general idea about whether a book did okay or not, which is what the OP was asking.

I used to do this, back when it was a less common occurrence. Nowadays, though, it happens pretty routinely, so I haven't seen much point to continuing the practice. If people here indicate they're are genuinely interested in knowing when ST books go back to press, I can go back to offering occasional updates.