DS9 Relaunch Timeline

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ATimson, Apr 8, 2003.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a repost and update of a post in a prior thread. It attempts to place the relaunch and other associated novels in chronological order. Note that for the most part, it focuses on very tight links (i.e., "Cold Fusion" or use of relaunch-created characters like Vaughn and Jast) versus looser ones.

Special thanks to KRAD, od0_ital, David George, and others who helped point out my boo-boos. If anyone sees another mistake, post and I'll fix it if the edit time isn't up.

[*]The Lost Era: Serpents Among the Ruins (2311, due 09/03)
    [*]The Lost Era: The Art of the Impossible (2328-2346, due 10/03)
    [*]The Lives of Dax: "The Music Between the Notes" (Curzon's story)
    [*]The Lives of Dax: "Reflections" (Jadzia's story)
    [*]Prophecy and Change (at various points, mostly during the series; due 09/03)
    [*]Millennium (late 2374)
    • The Fall of Terok Nor
    • The War of the Prophets
    • Inferno

[*]The Battle of Betazed (early 2375)
    [*]2376 (after "What You Leave Behind")
    • The Left Hand of Destiny, Books One and Two
    • The Lives of Dax (Ezri's framing story)
    • n-Vector (comic book miniseries, reprinted in Other Realities TPB)
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation #61--Diplomatic Implausibility
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation #62/63--Maximum Warp (cameos with Defiant and crew--takes place during Diplomatic Implausibility)
    • #27: A Stitch in Time (seen in Avatar, Book One)
    • Starfleet Corps of Engineers #6: Cold Fusion (reprinted in Starfleet Corps of Engineers, Book Two: Miracle Workers)
    • Section 31: Abyss
    • Gateways #3: Doors into Chaos (features some DS9 characters)
    • Gateways #4: Demons of Air and Darkness
    • Gateways #6: Cold Wars (shares a scene with #4, events in #4 affect events here)
    • Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond--"Horn and Ivory"
    • Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond--"Death After Life" (resolves Cold Wars
    • Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond--"The Other Side" (resolves Doors into Chaos, and overall situation)
    • Mission: Gamma, Book One: Twilight
    • Divided We Fall (comic book miniseries, during Twilight, between Part One and Part Two)
    • The Brave and the Bold, Book Two: "The Final Artifact" (timing as above)
    • Mission: Gamma, Book Two: This Gray Spirit
    • Mission: Gamma, Book Three: Cathedral
    • Starfleet Corps of Engineers #29: Aftermath (due 07/03, in print Goddess knows when)
    • Mission: Gamma, Book Four: Lesser Evil
    • Rising Son (beginning after Avatar, and runs parallel to the other novels; ends right before Lesser Evil does)
    • Unity (due 11/03)
    • The Worlds of Deep Space Nine, Books One, Two, and Three (due 2004; conjectural)

Hope this is edit is what you wanted - Evil Robert :)

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

wow...I helped with that? :D

3. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Admittedly, I haven't read The Left Hand of Destiny yet (waiting for both parts to be out so I can read it straight through), but I'm thinking maybe it should come before The Lives of Dax (Ezri framing story) chronologically -- assuming you're taking the starting points of the stories as your base. From what I understand, TLHoD opens with Martok and Worf still on the way back to Qo'noS after having left the station toward the end of "What You Leave Behind." I would assume, therefore, that it's only a matter of days after the episode as the novel begins, though I also gather the story continues for some time after.

"'Second star to the right ...,'" however, opens at least two weeks after "WYLB," with its reference to Quark hiding out on Bajor for that long, and probably longer, since that event is mentioned in the context of summarizing various other events and changes on the station in the interim. So I'm thinking the story probably starts after TLHoD does, though it probably also ends well before the novel does.

4. ATimson

Yup. :lol: I don't remember what right now; I think back in the original thread it said. (If it didn't have the same title, it was very similar; back in early March, I think.)

5. ATimson

Actually, I'm thinking that, if the length of time for Hand Book One (a week or so) is the same for Book Two, then Lives should go after Hand. I'll move it there in a second, subject to change if applicable once Book Two comes out (and our friendly neighborhood moderator either changing it or somehow letting me back in).

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Hmmm...I've nothing to add except to point out that Millennium is spelt with two Ns.

:)

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Rising Son isn't *completely* independent of the others. The events of Gateways affect it somewhat.

8. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

First of all, there's all the Lives of Dax stories, two of which take place after The Art of the Impossible (the Curzon and Jadzia stories).

n-Vector takes place prior to Diplomatic Implausibility.

I can see why you include Cold Wars, but there's no real need to have "Death After Life" on the list. ("The Other Side," at least, has appearances by the Defiant and its crew, including Vaughn, and Worf.)

Also, while I'm tickled by the inclusion, the Gorkon books aren't really connected to the relaunch, though they will be consistent with it.

Otherwise, looks okay to me. :D

9. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

I actually think there is a thread stickied, but there as there seems to be some bug in the software (trust me, I have equired many times about that bug), it doesn't show up on the screen unless it has been posted in in the last x number of days you have your settings on.

But I will unsticky that, and sticky this since this does look to be a much better thread (good work) :)

Oh, and you can call me Rob. :)

10. ATimson

D'oh! Fixed.

Forgot about that--that's changed.

Well, that's open to interpretation. I see all of The Lives of Dax as occurring in the post-WYLB timeframe, as Ezri telling the stories to Vic. Still, those two stories are now listed, though I'll leave the others off. (I assume that most readers can figure them out!)

Marco mentioned on another thread that Akaar was going to be in one of the Lost Era novels, though not one of the two with Vaughn; do you happen to know which one would that be?

Fixed.

I included it mainly because it provides resolution to Cold Wars, rather than leaving the

Ah. You hadn't spoken up the last time around about that, so I left them in. Out they go (at least until I have a fit of boredom this summer and throw together every single novel connected to these that I can find).

To borrow from you, the approval of KRAD has been given, and it's nifty-keen! ;)

(Note on the fixes: see my reply to Rob which will follow shortly.)

11. ATimson

Thanks! :D I'll just have to make sure to bump it every once in a while until the bug is fixed. Now, can you do something about:

I've got the changes others mentioned on my machine in a text file, all ready to go; all I would have to do is copy-and-paste. Is there any way for you to reopen the post (preferably permanently), or edit it for me? Or should I just add another reply, down at the end, with the most recent version?

No problem. (I couldn't remember who the mod here was offhand, so I figured addressing you by title was nice and safe :))

12. Evil Robert

If there are mistakes in your inital post that you need to correct that you cannot do know because of time limitations, please feel free to contact me or an Adminstrator with the corrections. I would be more then happy to do it.

A PM or an IM would be the quickest way to fix up the problems.

13. ATimson

Firing up MSN Messenger now...

14. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Actually, to some degree or other, there's a DS9 connection in all the Lost Era books (I don't want to get into specifics, as some of it might be spoilery). To answer your direct question, Akaar appears in The Sundered as a member of the Excelsior crew under Captain Sulu.

15. Evil Robert

*BUMP*

*grumbles about bug in system* ;)

16. ATimson

Eek, I thought that two weeks would be long enough to go without bumping... whooops...

BTW, nice avatar, Robert :lol:

17. Evil Robert

:lol:

Everybody loves Geoffrey... ;)

18. Zyzyx1701D

Zyzyx1701D Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, seeing that Avatar I can't help but think... you're not really that evil, are you? :lol:

19. Chris Mortimore

Chris Mortimore Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its obviously a disguise he hides behind.
    Nobody expects a giraffe to be evil, especially one called Geoffrey.

20. ATimson

ba-BUMP