T.W.O.K vs STID

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Oct 13, 2013.

?

vote

1. I prefer the Wrath of Khan

110 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. I Prefer Into Darkness

17 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. I like them both the same

25 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is such humanity in TWOK, what with Kirk's aging, the loss of our dear friend and hero, Spock, Kirk's having a son, death and rebirth, wonder. All executed so well, with good acting, plus Montalban chewing the scenery. STID is shallow lollapalooza, the kids are in charge, both in universe and out. I just cannot fathom how someone can appreciate STID more. (My shortcoming, I guess. I also can't understand how people get off on Mozart or those ridiculous LOTR movies compared to the charming books. I guess I need some IDIC lessons.)

I digress. Badly. To return to the movies at hand: As someone noted above, just compare the direction (I would add music) of the two death scenes.

Not looking for an argument. But in its mind-bogglingness to me,
    it's as if someone said they thought a Ziggy cartoon was truly better art than the Mona Lisa or something.

Like what you like, though.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To add my 2 cents: Kirk has just had two crewmen who Khan had under his control. I always thought he over-acted the scream in case they were STILL under Khan's control. Didn't want to tip the plan to the people in the cave who might still be working for Khan.

4. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

This is what I figured some fans are going to notice.

The concept about Vulcans is that they don't express emotions. They're devoted to logic.

They only do it in very rare instances or because of some odd situation like a disease.

So when we see Spock going into violent rages a number of times, people who know the series are bound to have that type of reaction.

Trying to have an open mind about those rages isn't going to cut it if they know about the basic concept of Vulcans established already.

It's as if it were more intended for movie goers who don't know much about Vulcans.

The thing is, Zachary Quinto does a perfect Spock --he nailed it -it's just the odd character behavior that may put some fans off.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vulcans aspire to a state where they express no emotions. As we've seen as far back as TOS, they don't all succeed. Even Tuvok, the most 'Vulcan' of continuing Vulcan characters, had a troubled past where he failed to meet the ideal.

It's fans' incorrect preconceptions that are at fault.

6. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

The WOK.

Am sorry but STID was a just fair film. WOK maybe chessy and dated but it still is the better film.

STID has better acting.

STID has the same writers as Transformers. ENOUGH SAID.

Thee same writers uplifted me and gave me so much hope with the awesomeness of ST 09, Then they took it all away with STID.

SO YES. WOK.

7. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

Yes exactly. this is the issue with STID. The writing of the overall film is awful. Most people are giving the blame to Linderlof. The s/u scene in the shuttle scene was a good conversation but it was put at the wrong moment. Spock screaming Khan, the reversal of spock's death by kirk's death, Harrison been khan, the disrespectful reference to christine chapel, carol stripping for no real reason and her been a worthless character. I could go on how awful the script of STID is. JJ did a beautiful job in making a good film with a mediocre script.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd ask why Kolinahr even needs to exist if they are all so very good at controlling their emotions?

9. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Which might have been just fine, had the nuPowers That Be actually gone that route. Instead, they keep trotting out OldSpock to remind us that he is. :D

10. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this was probably just a throw out to the fans, but in the narrative, I didn't think this made much sense. When Khan reveals himself. The way he says. "My name. Is. Khaaaaan."He says it in such a way as if Kirk is supposed to know who that is.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZJjNjMg98[/yt]

Overall, I prefer The Wrath of Khan.

Into Darkness just didn't compare. There was just such a sense of, "I've been through this before," throughout the movie. The reuse of lines and situations -- even if they were reversed -- just didn't do it for me.

11. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

This is true, but with Nuspock, it's as though he's not even trying. Not even a little bit. It doesn't even seem like he's aspiring to any such thing. The ears are the only thing reminding us he's part Vulcan. And that would be fine, if the movies didn't keep reminding us of that other Spock. But as it is, Spock is supposed to be the alien guy on the Enterprise, and he's just very alien-seeming and that bothers me a bit, what with the beating people up, throwing tantrums, crying, having a girlfriend (sorry, but it bothers me).

Yeah, I feel like he's talking to us (the audience), not to Kirk. We're the only ones who know who Khan is (except Spock Prime). But it still seems weird to me, the way it is.

This.

12. plynch

Upstream I said how I just don't see how someone can prefer STID. I just do not get it. BUT . . .

I will say this in defense of nuSpock . . . he is a vastly different person than NimoySpock. Just barely did NOT save his mom, then his whole planet of people is annihilated. He is a messed up, troubled dude. All the Vulcans heretofore including Spock were, yes, adept at not showing emoting. Everything is off the table for this guy. I give him a pass on being so emo. I FARFARFAR prefer Nimoy and oldSpock, since he is my dear old friend from birth (mine). But I understand QuintoSpock.

PineKirk is a jackass, and the writers, to be kewl and hip, have taken away from me the hero-fully-formed that was Kirk. Everything needs a psychological backstory now, instead of just giving us a hero archetype to resonate with. My loss, and like I've said before, I'm 50/50 on even going to the next one. But I get nuSpock's emo-ness. He's damaged, man.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I find NuSpock too damaged. Alice Eve should've played Elizabeth Dehner, onboard to conduct a full psychological review of the crew to see if they were fit for duty--would've made sense to me :) .

14. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

Yes, That would have been good. Remember Skyfall. Bond taking some kind of test to see if he was fit for duty because M thought he must have been traumatised by the I was nearly dead experience. Bond did fail the test but M did not give a shit. However it was still a nice touch to Bond's character. He is not as perfect as we all think.

Spock taking that kind of test would have been very beneficial to his character but I am not surprised the writers did not even think of that. the film would not have been as fast paced as they wanted it.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Gods forbid they slowed it down to do some in-depth character development and 'soul searching' when instead they can be showing explosions or women in their underwear :lol:

16. BillJ

Personally, I rank Star Trek Into Darkness as the third best Trek film behind The Motion Picture and The Undiscovered Country. I also really like The Wrath of Khan but it has some jarring plot lapses and is saved by scene chewing by Shatner and Montalban.

Is Star Trek Into Darkness a perfect movie? That would be a resounding "Hell No", but when I saw it at the theater it was the most fun I had with Trek since seeing The Undiscovered Country in theaters in 1991.

17. plynch

"Fun" I get. Thanks. That is a criterion by which someone could judge STID as "good." You have helped me grow. :) LLAP

18. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

So, setting aside my opinion STID has more than enough character development, must we accept absolutely every episode/movie/iteration of Star Trek has to be some kind of "serious" character piece laden down with morose "soul searching" and "deep philosophy"?

For me, STID returned TREK to its action adventure origins in the best way, it REALLY felt TOS was back on the silver screen. It was exciting, visually enthralling and tremendous fun. The underwear scene was funny IMHO - it certainly brought a smile to my face. And Alice Eve is as hot as hell to boot.

19. BillJ

Fuck. No.

It was that type of shit that killed the franchise. What Berman tried to pass off as "soul searching" and "deep philosophy" ended up coming across as incredibly shallow and dull even by the standards of mid/late-90's television.

I like Star Trek as action-adventure.

To quote Picard from Encounter at Farpoint: "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." :techman:

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I have more fun watching Spaceballs. It's the better scifi spoof movie.