The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Mar 23, 2012.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

There is a fan theory going around that Amon made a deal with Koh or is an agent of Koh and is finally trying to get revenge on benders, especially the Avatar, because of what they did to him.

There is also the one that Amon just paid off the Triads to pretend to not be able to bend or that he used some advanced form of chi blocking and locked their chakras.
    The thing is though they also heavily show steam being used as a power source, not to mention the gasoline powered satomobiles and the energy packs being carried around by the Equalists.

But yes, the parallels between literacy rates in our world and the ability to specialty bending in their world is most likely purposely similar.

I seriously doubt that Amon was telling the truth with his backstory. Probably he was just playing off the animosity that is most likely still felt by many people against firebenders for the war.

Also this bit of information was posted on the Nick website yesterday that I thought you all would enjoy.
    Zuko is still alive and has handed over his throne to his daughter. He is now a traveling ambassador for balance and peace. We may see him in the upcoming episode "The Will of the Fire Lord".

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that would explain his face. Koh took it inexchange for teaching him spirit bending.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The former possibility in your second paragraph vaguely occurred to me, but since Bolin was one of the intended victims, I very much doubt it's true. The latter suggestion is plausible, though.
    Maybe what he's done is reversible, and he's just exploiting the legend of Aang's spirit-bending ability, claiming he has the same power and thus the support of the spirits.

The suggestion in the first paragraph is a reach, and I'd need some evidence for it before I took it seriously. Though Hound of UIster makes an interesting suggestion about it.

Sure, but why not use every power source available to them? We use coal and oil and natural gas and hydroelectric and wind power and whatever else is available. Benders can be a power source themselves, so why not use them alongside other sources? Especially if it's a way to employ them and make them contributing members of the Republic's economy.

Hmm, maybe.
    But either way, it creates the possibility that Mako could identify with Amon and be co-opted.

Neat!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not used to there being new stuff I watch on in the morning. I was thrilled because I actually remembered to watch Green Lantern and Young Justice this morning. I usually watch them online, and this only the second or third time I've actually watched them live. I'm working at most of the after noon today so I won't be able to watch it then, but Nik does have quite a bit of stuff online, so I'll keep an eye out and see if they add it there. Never mind, I just checked and it's on again a bunch of times throughout the week, hopefully one of those times will be when I'm not working.

5. Christopher

I just watched it again. I love it that Korra's definition of "cautious" is "kick the door in." But I'm wondering where her superstrength comes from. In episode one, she was able to pick up Tenzin and at least two of his children in a bear hug, even though he's bigger than she is. And here she did things like knocking Mako across the room with a medicine ball and lifting that Equalist orator off the ground one-handed. I mean, obviously she works out and is well-muscled, but those and the door kick seem beyond normal human ability. Not that I mind -- strong women are sexy -- but superstrength never seemed to be part of an Avatar's power set before.

Also, can Korra metalbend? She seems to have mastered every bending discipline save air, but it seemed that when she was trying to get the machine to release steam, she could've simply used metalbending to split the seams.

I love the shot where Mako and Korra are walking past the spinny-things contraption and it rotates behind them in 3D as the camera tracks them. Reminds me of the old Fleischer Popeye cartoons where they'd build a miniature background on a turntable and rotate it behind the cels.

I noticed that when Korra told Tenzin about Amon's ability to take away bending, Tenzin glanced to the side for a moment -- more a furtive expression than a stunned one, as though he knows something he's not telling. I wonder what that could mean.

6. SG-17

I heard that Korra is supposed to be taught metalbending later in the series as well as lightning generation by Mako.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

1X3 "The Revelation" raises concerns for me about the nature of combat with the Equalists in the series. In all the combat in this episode, the Equalists all manage to magically avoid the water/fire/earth attacks shot straight at them, close to extreme close range, and disable their opponents without taking a hit. I'm finding this a little too convenient. It seems to me that no matter how lithe you are, if you face off against a controllable wall of flame or rock or water you're going to get hit.

As for Amon's ability, my first instinct is it's a con and the Triads are in on it. I expected to see that blue light from when Aang took away Ozai's bending, but we didn't see anything.

And the other problem with this "threat" is that we know he will never permanently take away the powers of any of the main characters, and even if he does they'll just get it back a few episodes later.

I am intrigued by his claim that he's acting on behalf of the Spirit World, though!

8. Christopher

We've seen this style of combat before from Mai and Ty Lee. They, Sokka, and other non-benders have been able to hold their own against benders. For that matter, the airbender fighting style consists largely of evasion as well. It's a basic martial-arts technique, dodging or redirecting an opponent's attack.

And Amon's Lieutenant certainly did get hit by the rock slab Korra used to slam him into the wall, although he didn't see it coming.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That was a powerful episode. I was shaken too. I was expecting this, but seeing it as a reality still hit pretty hard. I can't wait to see what this means for the avatar and the world at large. What if Amon did take away Korra's abilities? What then? I thought of Aang being Amon as well, but only for a split second. Gonna go look up Koh to refresh my memory.

The episode also had me thinking... Shouldn't the avatar get the same level of security as the U.S. president?

As for the chi blockers dodging the benders' attacks, maybe their chi allowed them to do so by acting with more awareness and harmonization with their opponent.

P.S. I saw Mary Elizabeth Winstead and got to thinking that she could work as a live-action Korra.

10. SG-17

No one else was around when Aang energy bended Ozai. So we don't know if that effect is visible to people who aren't spiritually attuned. Korra most certainly is not, yet.

11. Christopher

I don't suppose there's historically been any reason for that, since most people have revered the Avatar -- and since the Avatar is at least four times as powerful as any other bender, and thus more than capable of taking care of him/herself.

I was wondering why Korra and Mako didn't go to the police about Bolin's abduction. But I guess Korra got off on the wrong foot with Chief Beifong, and Mako has his own reasons for not trusting the law.

I think it's just more of the theme of the rare, special abilities we saw in A:TLA having become more widespread and institutionalized in the new era. Basically the Equalist warriors are a whole army of Ty Lees (though not nearly as cute).

Well, maybe in the Shyamalan universe where the Water Tribe is Caucasian, and where Sokka was played by an actor a decade older than the character. But in a more authentic adaptation, not so much.

12. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I'm curious about Amon's henchmen (at least some of them) being benders - not just chi blockers. The main mysterious henchman chasing the brothers down the ladder seemed to be a lightning(fire) bender. Or are we to assume that Amon's group use technology to mimic certain bending skills? (batteries for lighting discharge, fire throwers for fire)

As for Aang = Amon... I wouldn't rule it out at all. Aangs death does seem mysterious. Was there some dark trade he had to engage into (or was tricked into) doing where he lost his avatar spirit? Where he lost himself yet maintained certain powers? If so - what could be more epic than a struggle between the Avatar and the previous Avatar? After all, fire benders DID kill Aangs 'family' (his air temple)... Hmmmmmm :eek: Will the shock reveal be that the face behind Amon's mask is Aang's? :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Lieutenant was using taser sticks.

I really, really, really doubt Amon is Aang. Why would Aang be playing a villain like this? Not to mention Aang would be, what, 90 years old?

14. Christopher

I think "cattle prods" would be a more fitting analogy, since this is in a pseudo-1920s setting.

EDIT: Actually they're called electrified kali sticks. They're based on the weapons used in eskrima, or Filipino stick-fighting.

Well, King Bumi was quite a formidable fighter at 112. Avatar-World humans apparently have greater longevity than we do.

But I do think it's highly unlikely that the creators of this show would risk alienating fans of the original by turning Aang into a villain.

Hey, I know! Amon is Zuko's mother! :D

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, that was rich, it's not often that TV animation really wows me visually to that extent. Unfortunately I missed the first airing and could only find an SD airing, gotta watch it again in HD when the chance presents itself. I'm really liking the setting, feels like something Miyazaki might've come up with.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the animation is definitely gorgeous! Maybe it's my faulty memory but it looks much nicer than the original series.

17. Agent Richard07

A few random points...

- We may see a big paradigm shift with this show. I can see equality prevailing, but by way of bending being made available to everyone rather than all bending being taken away.

- I liked Korra's disguise and wouldn't mind seeing her adopt a more "modern" look.

- I missed it, but I it's been suggested that the cabbage merchant's little cart grew into something bigger.

- Whenever Mako is mentioned in this thread, I can't help but think of this guy.

18. Christopher

Well, I reject Amon's premise that the way to achieve equality is to make everyone the same. In the real world, equality doesn't require everyone to be equally intelligent, or to have equal physical strength, or to be equally good at sports, or to be an equally good singer or musician. Equality is about giving everyone an equal opportunity to succeed according to their own individual gifts and abilities, not forcing everyone into a single Procrustean mold. You achieve it by establishing laws, institutions, and social values that prevent those with extra power or advantages from using them to take opportunities or choices away from those without them.

Non-benders are part of the balance of the Avatar World just as benders are. Turning everyone into benders would disrupt that natural balance. If benders are oppressing non-benders, the solution isn't to eliminate one group or the other, but to eliminate the mechanisms of oppression and the social dynamics that permit and motivate the oppression. We certainly know that benders and non-benders can coexist as equals; we've seen it in Team Avatar, in the equal status of non-benders like Sokka and Suki, or the prominence of Mai and Ty Lee in the Fire Nation's fighting forces. (I'm sure Azula never considered them her equals, but then, she's hardly a role model.)

That was a nice hat.

Ho-ly cow.

Well, yes, of course. Mako was the voice of General Iroh until he passed away, and the producers named this character in tribute to him.

19. Agent Richard07

In Avatar's case, we're dealing with special powers, not talents. People either aren't interested in having certain talents or they can potentially develop them if they are, but actual powers like bending really sets people apart. Some people are seriously and inherently advantaged and others are handicapped. I can see how that would create the kind of resentment we're seeing with Amon and his movement. I don't like it, but I can see where they're coming from.

There's always going to be someone who's jealous of the powers that be or who has power issues themselves, so having this come up isn't surprising. In fact, I'm more surprised that it wasn't been a big issue before. The kind of revolution that's brewing could very well open up the message that everyone has potential, not just a select few. And if you ask me, that's not a bad message.

Yes, especially the hat. It was a nice hat, wasn't it?

I never stopped to think that the name was a tribute. Good to know.

20. SG-17

Relevant screenshot.

[​IMG]