It's official...Generation Y is definitely brain dead

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Norrin Radd, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/435149

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

:sigh:

It makes me cry myself to sleep at night how many people thought that piece of shit was a great, stellar, and awesome film-making.

It's "great" that people liked it but to this extent, that it's the "best movie EVAHHHH!!!!" is just absurd and ridiculous.

:rolleyes:

THAT was the best movie last year? Seriously? Really? I mean, COME ON! What was so great about it. Beyond, "OMG!!! GIANT ROBOTS THAT TURN INTO CARS!!!!!!!!" It wasn't even well made with horrendous "acting", horrendously done action scenes and a "lead star" that makes you want to kick youself in the head.

Christ!

I give up on humanity. You're all on your own now.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Maybe I'm getting old... but who exactly classifies as 'generation Y'?

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

I believe Transformers to be the ID4 of this millenium. In future years, people will be wondering "WTF were we thinking"? :wtf:

5. Trekker4747

Those born from 1979 to 1997. Which means I'm Generation Y and not Generation X. Which makes me sad. :(

EDIT:

Nevermind. Y-Geners are from 1980-2000. Which puts me in the clear back into Generation X!

:D

6. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

All I know is Daniel Day Lewis cannot turn into a Semi cab.

Not that I wouldn't like to see him battle Megatron. I'd love that, in fact.

"I DRINK YOUR ENERGON! I DRINK IT UP!!"

7. Trekker4747

ID4 at least has something to it. It's atleast got some fun, some well-done action scenes and likeable actors and characters (Will Smith and Goldblum).

Transformers has none of that.

8. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

MTV movie awards are for the yonger crowd they always end up liking the most special effects laden film. Not a big deal really. It means nothing.

9. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just the MTV Movie Awards, folks.

10. Trekker4747

It means a depressing number of young people like movies that are complete and total shit. Remember, these kids are our future! ;)

11. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

It's one of the better choices they could've made from the nominees.

Albeit, Superbad was the best movie in the list.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the other hand, this is MTV, which, at least as this member of Generation Y is concerned lost all credibility in the mid-90's (the little it had left) in regards to being a cultural barometer. I don't think I could quantify how little I care about what they pick for the best movie on the year.

Even if I did, it's clearly using a different criteria for judging the "best" movie, other than "the one scholars and academics agree is the most highly crafted movie of them all." And, as someone who did enjoy the movie (and ID4) for what they were ("popcorn entertainment") and not as the epitome of cinema, I hardly think its one of the signs of Armageddon (apparently, meteor showers destroying buildings in New York and other cities worldwide is one of the signs, at least as far as Michael Bay tells me).

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Damn, I was born in 1980. Wait, my 9 year old niece was born in 1999... we're part of the same generation? That doesn't seem right.

14. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: I liked crappy films and tv when I was a kid. Still do. I turned out ok......well i could be better but no use crying over spilled milk. :(

15. Trekker4747

Well, a Generation *is* 20 years. ;)

16. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 'generations' labels are BS. A useful system would have a new name every 10 years. As you can see, the current way of naming a 20-year span is pretty useless.

I was also born in 1980. Some lists say I'm generation X and some lists say generation Y.

Well, let's look at X, shall we? I was 13 when Kurt Cobain died. I wasn't exactly aware of his music at the time. I don't feel too close to the rest of that generation.

And what about Y? Well, I'm older than Brittany Spears, for goodness sake. I don't feel too much like I'm in her demographic.

We line-straddlers never quite fit into any of the set definitions. If there was a new name every 10 years, it would be easier.

(Of course, this means my parents were line-straddlers too. They're 'baby boomers' but they were only 13 or so when Woodstock took place.)

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

While the MTV movie awards have always been worthless they used to be entertaining and that keeps getting less and less. Maybe because I'm Gen X and don't get it anymore but I like to think it honestly just keeps getting suckier. Best moment was how they wouldn't show Seth Rogen lighting up his "joint" and Johnny Depp giving me false hope that I can still look good at 45.

18. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. MTV liked Transformers. The world must be coming to an end.

;)

And, by the way, the highlight of my summer is probably going to be seeing King Lear at the annual Vancouver Shakespeare festival. Be careful about painting any generation with the same brush.

19. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

It's only a movie, folks. Don't get to worked up about it. This, like Indy IV have people that acutally liked the movie. And for the record, I thought Transformers was AWESOME. I said it. AWESOME! From the moment Optimus Prime opens the movie, to the final climax of the last battle, I was hooked. Geeze. Some of the movie going world have forgotten how to just let go, and go a long for the ride. They see outlnes of blue screen and say things like, 'it took me completely out of the movie'. Imagine if those people were around when ILM just got started, and matte lines were common!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what "great" movies won MTV awards when the various posters here were targets of MTV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.