So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, last night. Which is perfect because I was hoping to finish it as close to the release of the movie as I could.
    I rated it a 5/5.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished Destiny book 3 Mere Mortals .I'm now reading the Weathermakers by Ben Bova about a bunch of meteorologists wanting to try and control the weather and the havoc that would happen if things went wrong trying to use technology to control everything Watherwise when it comes to storms around the world.Very good scifi story so far.

3. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Last night I finished Star Trek: The Fall: The Crimson Shadow by Una McCormack. It felt a little slow to me, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. No doubt this was due to all the Garak-y goodness.

I then read the Jericho season 3 comic collection, Civil War.

I'm now about to start Doctor Who: Nuclear Time by Oli Smith.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finsihed the Lost Fleet series. It was really good. Unfortunately, the library doesn't have any of the sequel books to the series, but it was still a good read.

Now, I'm reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I'm only a little bit into the book, but its ok so far.

5. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

The great hunt-Robert Jordan.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am currently reading an older TNG novel: Foriegn Foes. It's so bad ... it's good! I know that sounds corny, but it's true. It's got a certain charm. All of the TNG characters are in place and in play. I just cannot put this book down, for some reason. I wouldn't recommend reading it to anyone else, and I certainly didn't go looking for that kind of writing, or this kind of story. But it's strangely enjoyable ...

7. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished A Ceremony of Losses and now I'm champing at the bit for The Poisoned Chalice.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

TNG Dyson Sphere. A bit dry but I like the concept of the Dyson Sphere so I'll hang in there.

9. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Read a couple of the comic books from IDW, both pretty weak.

Burden of Knowledge - Weird set up. 4 chapters, 3 separate stories. First 3 chapters were different weak stories then chapter 4 picks up where chapter 1 picks up. Just not very entertaining.

Khan Ruling in Hell - Just doesn't hold a candle to Greg Cox's book of the same subject. I don't remember the details of Cox's book but the comic story of Khan's people mutineering just didn't ring true at all. If Cox had a similar story thread he handled it a lot better.

The only IDW comic left before I start in on the huge backlog of nu-trek comics is Captains Log with Sulu, Pine, Jellico and Herriman.

I'm about a third of the way through Revelation & Dust. So far it's been good, not great.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I haven't read the Khan comic yet, but it would be pretty damned hard to top Greg's Khan trilogy.

If not impossible.

As for my reading, I finished The Folded World last night, and am now taking a brief Star Trek break to read Tim Zahn's Star Wars duology, Allegiance and Choices of One. I actually read Allegiance five years ago, but now that I have the sequel, I'm re-reading it to refresh my memory.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I finished The Fall: Revelation and Dust last night, and then today my copy of Vanguard: Open Secrets came in the mail (what timing!), so I'll be reading that and then probably Precipice (which I also ordered) before continuing on with The Fall.

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I finished off What Judgements Come (VAN#7) and have moved right into Storming Heaven (VAN#8) while i wait for The Poisoned Chalice to arrive. I'm only a few chapters in, and really digging it so far. After reading the last bunch of novels in the Vanguard saga, i'm just curious as to the whereabouts of
    David Marcus
    . Perhaps David Mack explains later in this novel. I guess i'll see :p

13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

read a few books in the last week - Miss Marple's Final Cases, A Morbid Taste for Bones and One Corpse Too Many (started re-reading the excellent Cadfael chronicles, as it's been a few years since i read them), and DS9: Demon's of air and Darkness (and it's follow-up novella, Horn and Ivory).

I enjoyed the DS9 entry in the Gateways saga, and given that i'd only previously read the New Frontier entry, Cold Wars, I decided to read the TNG book in the cycle, Doors into Chaos, to see what the plot was actually all about.

I'm a couple of chapters from the end, which i'm going to try and finish tonight in preparation for The Poisoned Chalice downloading to my Kindle tomorrow. Looking forward to that!

14. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Rough beasts of empire-Typhoon Pact

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"The Pandora Principle" by Carolyn Clowes.

16. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started Poisoned Chalice by James Swallow this morning. Good so far:)

17. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am looking forward to reading that book. I am a big James Swallow fan.

18. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

^The price for the Kindle edition went down to $4.78 today - SCORE!

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading The cat who saw red by Lillian J. Braun and River God by Wilbur Smith.I'm now reading The fall book4 The poisoned Chalice by James Swallow.This book is a great read each book of the fall series has been an fantastic read.:techman:

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Doctor Who: Nuclear Time by Oli Smith the other night. It wasn't bad, but also not one of the better ones I've read. I felt that Rory and Amy were sidelined too much. The stuff that focused on the Doctor was good and timey wimey, but it seemed like the book was more about the guest characters than anything. That would be fine if I actually cared about them, but I really didn't. Overall, an ok Doctor Who story, not particularly good, but not bad either.

I then read the short story "Old Bugs" by H.P. Lovecraft. Not a bad story, but definitely not the kind of story you think of when you hear the name Lovecraft.

I'm now reading Star Trek: The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack. I've only read three chapters but I've already spotted both a LOST and a Pinky and the Brain reference.