STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Daily breakdown for the actuals:

Friday - $9,986,397
    Saturday - $14,422,066
    Sunday - $12,882,553
    Monday - $9,896,297

Star Trek's second weekend numbers (on a regular 3-day weekend, rather than Memorial Day weekend):

Friday - $11,760,116
    Saturday - $18,284,070
    Sunday - $12,990,361

And for the Monday following its second weekend, a regular non-holiday Monday, it made $4,530,194.

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Damn, look at that shiny ten million from yesterday. That's a sixth of what Serenity made in its whole run. Lovin' it.

3. Quinton O'Connor

Wow, 09's second Saturday was a whopper, though. Minimal competition, I think?

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It was up against FF6 and THO3 which have previously been bigger than Trek, but it nearly managed to beat THO3. It was 2-3m off which is very good, it also beat its estimates which indicates a good WOM.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Angels & Demons, which opened to $46.2 million, was the only major new release.

6. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, and the only superhero flick out around that time was the terribly received X-Men Origins: Wolverine (God, that movie was terrible), which came out a week before Star Trek. Terminator Salvation gave some competition also, that came out a week after Angels and Demons, though that movie didn't get good reviews either.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Night at the Museum 2 also came out on Memorial Day weekend, Star Trek's third weekend. Museum 2 was #1 that weekend, while Terminator Salvation was #2.

8. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I don't think anyone is really putting a happy face on the numbers so much as Paramount had unrealistic expectations for the films opening.

In all honesty I thought the film would do better than than '09; better than it currently is mind you, but it is doing better and MUCH better overseas.

I am kind of shocked Paramount was as over the moon as they were considering the long break in between films (4 years is too long IMO for a tent pole blockbuster) and sticking it next to Iron Man 3 AND Fast6 while still expecting it to earn 100 million opening was an overreach.

9. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

↑↑↑

Good point. I forgot about Night at the Museum 2. Of the May movies, Star Trek was by far, the best received critically, with the exception of Up. Only Up did better critically, and that was the end of the month.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wonder if a Star Wars movie runs during Summer 2016 if they'll push Trek to the holidays?

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Actuals for the 4-day:

1. F&F 6 - $117,036,995
    2. HIII - $50,262,366
    3. STiD - $47,187,313
    4. Epic - $42,820,971

STiD was #2 on Sunday and Monday.

Actuals for the 3-day:

1. F&F 6 - $97,375,245 (Universal's biggest opening ever, but just missed scoring its first $100 million 3-day opening weekend)
    2. HIII - $41,671,198
    3. STiD - $37,291,016
    4. Epic - $33,531068

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

For comparison, Iron Man 3's second week drop was 58.4%

STID is enjoying a modest comeback, which Wall Street Journal attributes entirely to word of mouth.

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I have news from China. STID opened there today. It is good news! Celebrate everyone.

EDIT: Mount Everest sized pinch of salt required.

SOURCE: http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.p...3-110moblivion-177mdu-21mstid-may-28/page-375

14. Quinton O'Connor

Tubular. Mayhap we'll see somewhere in the neighborhood of $35-40 million from China, all told.

15. Flake

Well it is early days yet and we have to rely on the postings of boxoffice.com forum users but they appear to be legit for the most part and our only insight into the China box office, which is now exploding and will eventually be higher than the US box office.

If it is true and Trek makes $24m in one week in China then that bodes well for the future.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

If the posters there are correct and $24 million is the expected take in a week and $30-35 million, or maybe now $40 million, the expected take overall then China's box office is incredibly frontloaded!

17. Quinton O'Connor

Haha, well I'm just trying to avoid getting too optimistic! I really don't know the first thing about China's box office beyond the simple, obvious fact that it's exploding.

18. Flake

It seems that way, GI:Joe opened in week 1 to $33m dollars and finished up with $53m dollars. So if Trek does make it to $24m we can hope for $40m, which is still a huge increase from $8m ST09 made in China! Thats $32m increase down to China alone if the estimates and projections are correct and thats a big IF!

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I never saw Nemesis or Insurrection at the theater. Yes, I'm a bad TNG fan.

20. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I don't understand why this movie had to have a $190 million budget. That meant that it basically had to make well over $300 million just to be a moderate success. The bloated budgets on these blockbusters now are ridiculous, it leaves no room for error. Had STID had a budget of $100 million it'd be doing well.