Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I won't lie; at first, I read that from a completely different context than what you likely intended.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^:lol: Actually, she does live in Washington State, so if she were so inclined she could legally start growing weed in her garden!

3. Amaris

She could provide a valuable service to the state! :D

4. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:drool::techman: That looks so yummy!!! Although, I am not a big fan of Papaya, never tried it with lime. And Lime can make most anything taste better, imo.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it's the friendliest of fruits! :scream: ;)

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Also not a big fan of papaya. That sangria sounds awesome, though!

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's delicious. It's both zippy and lush.

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Quince jam and manchego. Match made in heaven. Actually more a jelly than a jam; you can cut it with a knife :)

9. teacake

Oh I have eaten SO MUCH quince paste and manchego lurok.. I pretty much lived on that one christmas. A friend of mine makes kilos of quince paste, it's in slabs. And I love sheep cheese anything. Someone recently gave me half a pound of roquefort (250gms) that they got at some cheese industry thing, this stuff is one hundred dollars a kilo here and the only raw milk cheese allowed to be imported. I ate the whole thing in two days, it spoiled me for any other blue. I was just so in love with the sheep milk taste.

What a pig out confession :lol: But it wasn't going to last forever! It had to be eaten!

Oh now I want some manchego..

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :lol:. We are such soulmates. I adore roquefort. In fact, any blue cheese. The tarter, the better. Frakk it...any cheese come to think of it.

Now I want some manchego too. And mimolette.

11. teacake

I've never had mimolette and I'm not sure if we can buy it here in Australia. I know there were court cases to get Roquefort in because of the raw milk (though we make our own raw milk cheeses here). I will ask my cheese connection. One thing I'm getting next week is some Gjetost which I have not had for years, used to eat it all the time as a child. Made from the goat's milk whey apparently.

12. Sector 7

I am very lactose intolerant, so I cannot have much cheese. :ack: I did learn that aging reduces the lactose content. The longer it ages, the less lactose. :techman:

I have developed a taste for smoked cheeses within the last year or so. Thus far, I have tried smoked gouda, smoked swiss and smoked cheddar cheeses. I love them all! :drool:

I confess that most of the items mentioned recently are completely alien to me. What are they?

13. teacake

Probably best to wikipedia them Sector 7 as you'll get lots of photos and info :)

Tonight I got my Gjetost.

[​IMG]

It is very sweet, caramelly, goats milky, fudgy cheese that I'm eating on rye and with a bit of apple and mostly on its own in thin slices. It's pretty unique. One of my earliest childhood memories is of eating Gjetost but I haven't had it in about 10 years so I'm thoroughly enjoying it. We used to peel it with a vegetable peeler and let the transparent slices melt in our mouth. It's made from boiling the whey and cream down to an rich brown evaporated state. I'm sure it is very bad for you :lol:

14. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Well good for the OP. Nobody needs to eat meat, do they?

15. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

And if people wish to develop their own morals, who the fucking hell are you to say they cannot?

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah! I love manchego. Smoked gouda too. I'm very much into brie/Camembert as well, but more specifically Fromager d'Affinois--it has a very interesting taste, a little saltier than typical brie and a double-creme smoothness that is to die for.

17. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Manchego is one of my favorites. The older, sharper, and harder, the better! A few slices with some apple, cucumber, and grapes make for a perfect lunch.

18. Sector 7

Where's the fun in that? I would much rather we discussed it here. Then I could learn AND enjoy!:techman:
    That's what I'm talking about, teacake! Photos and descriptions to make me drool! :drool:

Gjetost seems to be a very decadent pleasure. Where I live, none is to be found, but I can still dream... I have had something similar a long time ago. I am sure it was an imitation of Gjetost, as it was more like a chocolate fudge creamy dessert cheese. I no longer remember the name.

19. Amaris

I'd never heard of it until now.

20. teacake

It's commonly eaten for breakfast in Norway in a variety of ways. You could probably get it anywhere with a scandanavian community.