Catsuits/unitards in our future?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Velocity, Jan 5, 2014.

1. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Allegedly, the most-hated costumes were the TMP costumes, which didn't function at all the way you'd expect. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe it was William Shatner who stated in one of the Star Trek novels that the TMP uniforms were so ridiculously constructed that, to use the bathroom, cast members had to get a stagehand to help them disrobe. One of the many rumored reasons that the uniforms were scrapped after only one movie.

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I doubt it... a lot of the "Futuristic Fashion" seems way too implausible.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ah, but part of the magic of SF TV is to create things that are not possible in the 21st century. That's why so many fanmade costumes never look right. Even professionally-tailored costumes can't replicate a TV costume as a "convention floor costume" that needs to be worn all day, survive eating/drinking and undergo multiple washes.

The original Gort robot suit in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was made in two versions. In one, for walking towards the camera, the zipper was up the back. In the other, for walking away from the camera, the zipper was up the front. So it is impossible for a fan to replicate a Gort costume for the floor, or a costume parade, in exactly the same way as was featured onscreen.

But, remember, the conceit for TMP was that Starfleet clothing was "spray and wear". We see it when the Ilia Probe arrives naked and Kirk programs a Deltan leisure outfit to be beamed onto her. Nicholas Meyer and Harve Bennett and others chose to ignore this futuristic aspect, showing Starfleet jackets with visible fasteners, etc. Even coathangers in ST III and uniforms in drawers in ST VI (and TNG)

As for those uniforms, many of them were dyed maroon for ST II-ST VI and given to the extras to wear!

No, it's true.

You don't ever want your principal actors complaining, but extras are just extras. Similarly, when the TNG main cast got two-piece uniforms in Season Three, many background extras continued wearing the one-piece costumes.

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

You shave you head, right? Hair is part of your body. So that's body modification, too. ;)

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Since hair grows back, I don't think that counts. Unless you're talking laser hair removal, which would probably be very unsafe when used on the head. :p

I meant things like tattoos, piercings, etc. That's what I'm not into.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Implausible? Why, what on earth do you mean? :p

[​IMG]

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Well, some hall costumes don't actually need to survive eating, drinking, and washing. One guy colored himself all over with blue food coloring, made himself a smock of ancient computer data punch cards, and went as a "computer malfunction." His costume worked great at the convention... until it was time for him to hitchhike home on Sunday (from Calgary to Edmonton) and he couldn't get the blue food coloring washed off. So this dark-haired, bearded guy, blue-skinned from head to toe, is standing on Highway 2 trying to hitch a ride home... :lol:

And then there's the woman who glued fabric and sparkles on herself, covering just the bare minimum of what had to be. And it was actually in the convention program book that peanut butter costumes were not allowed in the hotel pool area. Apparently somebody caused a huge mess the year before, and the concom wanted to make sure after that that everyone knew peanut butter costumes are a Bad Idea.

As for my own costumes? Well, I flanged up a TOS-style women's dress uniform. It was actually a long-sleeved evening dress, would have passed for a 23rd-century style garment, and I added a science division insignia on the front (it was a lovely powder blue color - just perfect). Would it have looked as good on TV as it did in person? I have no idea. But my friend who wore it to the Saturday night costume bacchanal got loads of compliments on it.

I recently found and re-read my copy of Chekov's Enterprise. Walter Koenig devoted a fair number of his journal-style entries to talking about how uncomfortable and inconvenient the costumes were. And yes, to take off his shirt required help.

Personally, I think it's crazy to design costumes that aren't functional in everyday, normal situations like eating, drinking, bathroom-going, or even just sitting down.

8. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry but the only weird thing about those costumes were the capes (NO CAPES!). Those shoulders would not have looked all that out of place on an episode of Dynasty back in the 80s (which from the perspective of Things to Come was the future). ;)

9. Gotham Central

Some of us enjoyed the view ;)

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who started life as a boy, and subsequently transformed into a girl, the whole "body modification" thing is something I can personally endorse.

:)

11. Gotham Central

Togas will never make a comeback because they are grossly impractical.

Most scifi clothing is designed more for aesthetic reasons when in reality, clothes (uniforms or otherwise) are becoming more functional. A man who put on jeans a plain tshirt and a pair of boots would not look out of place at any point in the last century. The reason is that those are simple basic clothes that never really go out of style. Mens wear barely changes in anything but the subtle details. Its one of the reasons that "fashion" focuses almost exclusively on women. Mens clothes are almost purely functional (the tie being the last vestige of any real nonfunctional ornamentation). Mens clots tend to be very simple, very functional and emphasize comfort above all else. Its one of the reasons why historically women have fought for the right to wear essentially the same clothes as men.

Future clothes probably won't look all that different from the way they look now. The colors might be wilder or more muted, the fit might be tighter or baggier but it will all boil down to a simple shirt and a pair of pants. The sort of thing that one can roll out of bed, but on with as little fuss as possible and get moving in.

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holographic clothing. :mallory:

13. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One interesting note:

For about 7000 years, on the job footwear consisted of mid-calf to knee-high boots for men, who worked out of doors, either in farm fields or as soldiers, and sandals for women, who mostly worked indoors.

Some time in the last 200 years, women appropriated the tall boot as a fashion statement, and men were forced to rely on ankle-length laced boots. Today, women wear tall boots sometimes daily, with some women having enough pairs to go a week or more without wearing the same pair twice, but if a man wears tall boots, he either must be in some kind of costume, even if its a competition costume, say dressage, or gay and looking for some action. Men, it seems, are not allowed to wear the tall boots that used to define a man who worked hard out of doors.

My question is, how did this happen?

14. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Oh you misunderstood me. I meant implausible in the real world. As in, I don't think that in the 24th century, humans will be walking around in tight onesies.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If you want to wear boots and still be considered an "I work hard out-of-doors" guy, cowboy boots should do the trick.

Of course, it depends on what kind of outdoor work you're referring to. Some guys wear tall rubber boots if the places they're working are particularly muddy, wet, or just plain icky.

As for women and boots... it could have something to do with the hemlines rising after WWI. As the hemlines got higher, it could be that higher boots were a way to preserve some sort of modesty so the women had more freedom of movement but still weren't technically showing "too much leg."

That's just a guess on my part, though.

16. Gotham Central

Tall boots were simply functional for the environment in which men worked. Tall boots protected legs/shins in grass lands and fields from brush/plants or modest protection during combat. Note that to this day, combat boots remained fairly tall.

Take away hazards and mens footwear gets shorter and simpler.

17. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Truly outrageous!

18. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not for the first time the intention behind my post has been lost (I think it's pretty clear) - ZapBrannigan queried why jeans fell out of fashion in "the future" when they've been around for 131 years. I merely stated that toga's were around for longer yet they had fell out of fashion. I was not advocating their return.

19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

With all this talk of togas, I'm surprised no one's made an Animal House reference yet . . . :)

20. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cowboy boots are as tall as they get, though. Usually mid-calf. As for the women, plausible.:techman:

But why don't we men get to keep the tall boots for anything but costuming? Even our dressy boots are only ankle length. Yet women can wear tall, knee-length boots in almost any situation. Somehow, it doesn't seem fair. Tall boots are cool.