Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The same reddit user who first leaked details of the Rebellion multiplayer pack is back at it, with details on an Earth-centric MP extension:
    He also threw in a description for the Extended Cut DLC, which is just fancy official-sounding phrasing using the information we've already been given.

No release dates were provided for either, though he was careful to note that these are two separate DLC packs. We already know that the EC will be free, and he did not comment on whether the Earth MP pack would be free as the previous Resurgence and Rebellion packs.

2. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Is it my imagination, or are those multiplayer packs using variations of maps and characters already in the game? Why arent' they expanding the packs? In the planetary journals, there are descriptions of battles being fought in jungles on a Turian-held world and submarine warfare, with hit-and-run attacks on Reaper-held bases by a colonel militia, on an Asari-world. These are, especially the latter, far more interesting to me as a player than what has been offered.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I think the in-game justification is that the MP is only the N7 Ops engagements, which is obviously only small strike team skirmishes.

The real world reason of course is that is faster and cheaper to recycle as many assets as possible.

4. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Extended Cut will be released on Tuesday 26th.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume that means it will be out on the Xbox 360 and PC in Europe on the 26th, and not that it wont be released here on those platforms at all. Because if not, I'm murdering something.

6. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Glad they're getting this out, hope it actually makes the end of Mass Effect 3 playable. Then, lets get some more DLC going quick! They need to regenerate interest in the series after this extreme debacle.

7. TheGodBen

8. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Yes - a more sensible organisation of release dates is on the BW forum:

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

This is interesting: -
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7xk1_x8ko[/yt]
    Notice that they still refuse to admit the ending sucked. I mean come on, even Weird Al says so! :p Can they please just admit it so we can all move on?

10. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They also announced changes to the EMS system, but gave no concrete numbers, so I assume you'll still have to play multiplayer to get an ending that you might want to see when you replay the ending.

I was hoping that they'd just get rid of it completely, because I was able to break free of the MP credit grind and leave that part of the game behind completely. :p

11. throwback

I think there are political and personal considerations involved in why this is so, and I think to expect Bioware to admit they flubbed the ending is to ignore these considerations.

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as Starchild remains in the game and the Normandy inexplicably winds up on Pandora with a bunch of people who were on Earth five seconds ago, I'm not seeing that this could be much of an improvement.

Oh well, if it's free, I guess there's no harm in downloading it.

13. throwback

I am surprised by how quickly the turnaround was for the Extended Cut DLC from announcement to release. I hope for the fans who kept the game that this DLC isn't another rushed item. For myself, I will be reading about it on release day.

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'll be downloading it as soon as it's available. I probably won't actually play through it till the weekend though. We'll see how that goes.

15. TheGodBen

Yeah, I got about a minute into the podcast before I had to stop because Casey Hudson was saying the same old crap as before. I'd like to imagine that they can't admit to flubbing the ending because it would open them up to legal problems due to not delivering on their promises, because if they still don't understand why the ending is bad then their attempts to fix it will be in vain.

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hah, the "best" line from the interview podcast:

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'd actually prefer the think that they're bullshitting us because they have no choice because the alternative is that they're idiots and the quality of the rest of the game(s) doesn't support that premise.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I don't think Hudson and Walters really believe the crap they're saying. I think they're just toeing the company line because they have to. I mean, there's a point where it stops being stubbornness and becomes denial.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ I can't help but wonder if there's a degree of denial on our part in this. Is it possible we just really don't *want* to believe that they really are blind to what most of us see as an obviously flawed ending?

20. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I think that given how high an opinion we all seem to have of the series in general, the fact that they do not acknowledge the utter horrific patheticness of the ending is a major suspension of disbelief.