Vikings--history channel series (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dorian Thompson, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Depends how faithful and/or fictionalized the series is. I mean, look at MERLIN. We all knew that Arthur and Guenevere were probably going to get married at some point, and that Morganna was going to go over to the dark side eventually, but that didn't mean individual episodes couldn't get spoiled or that we knew exactly how everything was going to play out . . . .

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I should think that this show is the first some of us have heard of Ragnar, though. I, for one, know very little of the historical Vikings and Sagas and so forth. Therefore, spoilers.

3. gturner

gturner Admiral

Despite his violent reputation, I think it's great that Ragnar adopted a child with special needs.

4. Byronic

Byronic Ensign Newbie

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

No one agrees on why Ivar was called "the Boneless" some say he had brittle bone disease, some say he was impotent, others say he was just very flexible

5. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Uh, no.

Discussing details of episodes that have preaired or confirmed details of future episodes are spoilers. Discussing mythology and historical facts most definitely isn't. Neither is speculating things based upon already aired episodes. Learning something new isn't a synonym for being spoiled, FFS.

I swear, people throw that damn word around way too much.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. I don't think anyone was objecting to discussions of the actual myths or history. We just want to avoid stuff like "Ohmigod! I can't believe the way Rollo double-crosses Sigmund in next week's episode! And who knew that Gerda was secretly sleeping with Floki?"

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

Viking spoilers aren't supposed to be shared out, they are taken to your grave so you can use them in Valhalla.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Now I remember where I've heard of Ragnar before, Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales.

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Assuming the monastery they raided was supposed to be Lindesfarne (and the famed attack of 793), that would be a few decades before Ragnar's time which was about the mid 9th century when they'd have known full well there were places to raid in the west. However, the show looks to be too much fun to worry about such stuff.

10. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

They seem to get most of the lifestyle right, but they are not that good on the chronology and factual accuracy.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they're going the "historical novel" route. A mix of real people and made-up characters set in historical times with a mix of real and made-up events. Less accurate than actual history, but more valuable as a learning process than Spartacus on Starz. :D

12. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Undarligr tíðendi, wonderful news, I love this show.