Weird things we do in our sleep

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Aye. It's time to wake up and address this very real issue. I admit it's difficult, especially since we live in a society where a fast paced and busy lifestyle is the norm and part of the culture.

2. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand that not everyone is able to sleep as much as they should, so I’m going to help out by doing more than my share. From now on, I’m going to sleep 12 hours a day.

3. Gryffindorian

Aye. That's what I try to do on weekends and holidays - catch up on my Zzzz's.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My oldest sister (who was 20 years older than me) sleepwalked as a child. One time they found her asleep on top of a 5-drawer tall dresser.

One time my ex had a conversation with me while I was asleep before she realized it. Actually, it didn't become clear until the next morning, when I didn't remember the conversation at all.

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I sleep 10 to 12 hours every day :)

6. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When they were still getting my thyroid meds adjusted, and I had just finished the second-last-semester of law school (so no more adrenaline), I was sleeping 18-20 hours a day. I'd get up, eat, sleep a few hours, shower, sleep a few hours, eat, sleep, see Hubby, sleep.

That lasted a few weeks, then the last semester started and my adrenaline kicked in again. By the time school was over and I was into Bar prep, I could barely think. Any surprise I didn't pass the Bar the first time?

7. Gryffindorian

I would think having gotten more sleep would have given you more edge in terms of improved concentration. Did you lose any sleep when you were getting ready for the Bar?

8. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my tutors had a serious sleep issue for a couple of months. She just could not get any sleep. She did not feel more stressed than usual or anything though.

Her life became a total mess. She was tired all the time and could not perform. She even got to a psychiatrist in the end. However, the problem just solved itself after 5-6 months. It was surely one of the weirdest things I have heard about.

9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't keep chocolate by my bedside. If I have a terrible nightmare, the chocolate melts, dripping all over my nightstand and onto the floor, a nasty mess for me to clean up in the morning.

10. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem also affected mental faculties--slowing my entire metabolism, physically and mentally. I could read something out loudandliterally not be able to repeat it without looking at it. The doctor prescribed concerts, to try to speed me up. My body acclimated to it too quickly as the dosage was increased until it wasn't an option (raises BP and I was already hypertensive).

All good the following year, but the meds are for life. And dosage is going up--again.

Anyway, back on topic...

Two nights ago, I woke up TEN times stretching. Last night, not at all. Whatever.

Hubby farts in his sleep. I laughed out loud last night because it sounded so funny. Fortunately, I did not need a gas mask. ;)

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

What?

12. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Gary lives in a surrealist painting, I think.

13. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

You gotta lay off the kironide, Gary.

14. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hahaha... [bites tongue]... [wants to make women joke]... [bites tongue harder]... OUCH!
    I feel the same way. My own sleep experience is boring.
    Bill, those are the exact symptoms for sleep apnea. You need to have it checked. I am doing much better since I got my CPAP last May. Please see your doctor about a Sleep Study.

15. Gryffindorian

My CPAP nasal pillow smells a bit moldy when I put it on. But I'm not due for a replacement for another two months. Oh, well.

16. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

A long time ago I had a recurring dream. It happened 5 or 6 times in a month. I would dream I was a passenger in a biplane. I'd be having a good time looking at the scenery and then the pilot would flip the plane over upside down. I would start falling toward the ground in my dream and then I'd wake up bouncing on my bed. :eek:

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to sleep walk, but not anymore.

My former roommate used to hum little tunes in his sleep. :lol:

18. Gryffindorian

During non REM sleep, the mind is quiescent and the body is active. During REM sleep, it's the reverse. Somnambulism probably happens during non REM sleep.

Edit:

Yes, sleepwalking does occur during deep sleep, non REM.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001811/