Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

i'd rather have more Cap/Bucky WWII era tales...but at least we have Winter Soldier to look forward to.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's going to be awesome.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I almost consider the adjectless X-Men book to be a team-up book as well.

4. Admiral_Young

^ You mean the Jubilee led team?

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Wait, Jubilee is leading a team?
    Okay then.

6. Admiral_Young

She's leading the team in "X-Men" which is under Cyclops' banner and she's still a vampire.

Incredible Hulk #4: This has been one crazy ass book. If it were any writer other than Jason Aaron, I doubt I would find it as interesting and entertaining as I do. The only one small negative I have on it is that I'm not sure I like this new "crazy" Bruce. Banner appears to have finally snapped. Unable to deal with the obvious separation anxiety. I love this Amanda Von Doom character though. She's a great addition to the mythos...and this Island of Dr. Moreau take is fascinating. Next week we're supposed to learn who separated them.

Scarlet Spider #1: I have been looking forward to this book since it was announced and at least in my opinion delivers. Does a nice job of quickly summarizing Kaine's past, his new powers, introducing potential new cast members. The art is fantastic as well. The title logo I believe is Ben Reily's old book's design which is a nice homage indeed. Christopher Yost is the writer of the book and didn't like his run on "X-Men" but this is great so far.

7. Turtletrekker

I wasn't aware of the post-Schism/Regenesis status quo in X-Men, but that's the X-book that has had the most guest stars, seems like in every arc

8. Admiral_Young

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Let me know when its back to Captain America and the Falcon.

10. Nerys Myk

Wait..what????

again, wait...what?

11. Admiral_Young

^ Read X-Men Schism. Logan and Wolverine fought over differing ideologies. Logan decided to reopen the Westchester school and renamed it the Jean Grey School For Higher Learning while Scott leads Utopia. The X-Men split. It's been pretty awesome so far.

Also Jubliee was "sired" in the brutally bad Curse of the Mutants storyline which ran through the X books most of last year.

12. Nerys Myk

Nope, not gonna.:p

13. Admiral_Young

^ Fair enough...but it has been loads of fun so far! Seriously...I was pretty hesitant over the whole thing but Jason Aaron wrote Schism and is writing Wolverine and the X-Men which is the funnest comic out of the two flag ship books. Scott, bless his heart, is as boring as his book!

14. Turtletrekker

I won't touch WatXM. I can't stand Quenton Quire and the Hellfire tots are just the lamest-ass villains in all the history of lame-ass villains. Also-- just too much Wolverine. I long for the day when I can go an entire month without reading a single book with Wolverine in it without actively avoiding my regular books.

I liken my feelings about Wolverine to my feelings about the band Nirvana. Before I moved up to the Seattle area 12 years ago, Nirvana was one of my favorite bands. But up here in Seattle, the radio station's obsession with the band require them to play the same 10-15 songs over and over and over and over and over again, even all of these years later. Now I can barely stand the sound of them. Over-saturation.

OTOH, I'm really enjoying Uncanny. Issue 4 was one of the best X-books that I've read in a while.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wolv & X-Men is pretty good. It more stars Kitty and Bobby and Hank than Wolv or Quentin. And the art's been great.

"X-Men" started off interesting with good art for the vampire and Lizard/Spidey stories, but it's been crap ever since.

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY is by far the best title being put out by Marvel these days. Who would have thought a title featuring Kid Loki would be so much fun? And it is, literally, the only good thing to come of FEAR ITSELF.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I only read a few issues of the X-Men/Vampire arc so I missed that Jubilee got turned. Weird. Explains why I didn't get that in house ad I saw.

Admiral we read the same books last night.
    Hulk #4 - This issue was the first to really show or demonstrate the Bruce has snapped. He appeared on edge in the prior issues but there was one panel where they really gave him a "mad scientist" look as he glared back at Hulk. I'll be curious to see if any of his hybrid creations survive into other stories or if that Gamma Bomb is going to be used as 'reset button', wiping out all his mutations? I'm also curious to see how much development they give Commander VonDoom. Another aspect I'm hoping for is that if the ID of Banner and Hulk is separate then perhaps the ID of Gray Hulk/Fixit still resides within Banner. Afterall that was the first Hulk, maybe that ID is buried deeper AND/OR the being that separated them didn't know to look for it. Maybe if that Gamma Bomb goes off it interacts with all the isotopes in Banner's body and gives us a Gray/Green Hulk battle royale? This time NOT just in Banner's psyche like when Doc Samson merged them all back in Hulk #377 but an actual physical slugfest. That would be WIN!!

Scarlet Spider #1 - I've not kept up with Spiderman regularly for some time. I had heard during Spider Island that Ben Reilly, Kaine etc had resurfaced but the art by Ramos is so off puttting to me I couldn't buy the books. I like Jackal as a foe, underused imo, but the art, sigh. I was hoping this was Marvel righting the cope out death of Ben in the 90's but the summary tells me that this Ben Reilly coming out of Spider Island ALSO died. WTF Marvel. Fans didn't just want Scarlet Spider back they wanted Ben also. So this 'new' Kaine, I'm assuming he has no ties to pre-BND Kaine, is going to assume the mantle of Scarlet Spider to honor Ben's sacrifice it seems? I'll bite for the first arc. I do like being somewhere in the MU that is not NYC, LA or Chicago so lets see what they do with Houston. It's a big city of some 4-5 million.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are the images we're seeing based actual fights that will be taking place? I thought they were just generic promotional images.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think most of those images are just to promote the event. though a Daredevil VS Archangel fight would be cool.

20. Turtletrekker

JiM is actually tied for my favorite title with Avengers Academy.

As for good things that came out of Fear Itself, I'm also enjoying The Defenders and am looking forward to Winter Soldier.