RUSH: Clockwork Angels

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by 1001001, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Seven Cities of Gold is awesome.

I like The Wreckers too.

What do you think of The Garden? On a Rush board I frequent, that is actually winning a current poll of favorites off the album.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I like "The Garden' a lot. It's very good... though for me it doesn't quite flow as naturally or as brilliantly as similar songs like "Available Light" 9well just so you know, I am a huge Presto fan. If you remember on the rush Tour forum I opened up a whole thread on Anagram and why the lyrics to that were brilliant. it was called Anagram line-by-line) When i hear the Garden in the car it really works, but there are a few times when the lines don't quite flow from the music. still an excellent song, in the tradition of many Rush closers that I like.

Not my favorite. My favorites are "The Anarchists' 'BU2B' and"Seven cities"

3. 1001001

I'm a big Presto fan too. I was very happy when they added the title song to the setlist last tour.

You were on the Rush Tour Forum? Did I know that?

LOL. What a clusterfuck that turned out to be!

:lol:

When I found out the Admin was deleting my private messages to try and stop "the story" from getting out, that was it for me.

Although I hear it's back up and running again.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I tried logging in but couldn't remember my password. Recovering it is a pain. It's easier to break into NORAD than to have a membership there. I was both Malnar and CameraEye

5. 1001001

Yes, I remember Malnar. And I do remember the Anagram thread now. Takes my old brain a minute to catch up.

I don't know if they saved the profiles from the old board or not.

I post on The Rush Forum now. Pretty big and busy. Always something going on.

6. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

7. 1001001

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

me and neroon have the same avatar!

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I've listened to it now. I LIKE it! Heavy in places, acoustic in places, a backstory, excellent playing. Longevity in a band seems to be paying off. :)

10. 1001001

Not bad for three guys pushing 60.

;)

11. Neroon

I think that even though one might expect a long-time fan to no longer be impressed by their longevity, I am more amazed than ever. Amazed they can hold up with all of the touring they do. Amazed that they STILL turn out quality original material after nearly 40 years in the business.

I am no longer amazed, however... that they have allowed me to share something special with my three kids, each of which has grown up all too fast. Generational Rush fandom, in my own family. Does it get any better than that? :biggrin:

12. 1001001

Agreed on all counts (except my kids hate Rush).

:scream:

While most of their peers are broken up, forgotten, or shlepping around the county fair circuit, Rush continues to be a vibrant, creative force. Nothing is phoned in.

You seeing a show this tour?

13. Neroon

Absolutely! They hit Columbus in September, and I was in charge of the tickets this time. I didn't by 3 more for my kids as the $$$ are already stretching me thin. BUT... I did get 2, just in case one of my college aged sons can get the time to go. If they both can, then I'll give them my tickets and sit back knowing they will have a outrageous time

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

As much as I love the album and pretty much every song on it, part of me wishes that it was set up to be a bit more ambitious than it really was. Wish them Well and The Wreckers, while good tunes, seem kind of dry compared with more ambitious pieces like 7CoG. And as far as telling a story, it seems like the songs play better as songs than as parts of a story. while that was obviously the goal, it makes me think of albums like Operation: mindcrime wherein it could play equally well as a concept album as it can as individual songs without copping on either.

I still love the album and it hasn't left my CD player since i bought it. But the things i love most are those things I pick apart the most, and there are times when I listen to it that I think.. it could have pushed the envelope even further.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I think it's their best work in a really long time.

It's very tight and punchy without being too overbearing. And all three are playing better than they ever have.

16. 1001001

17. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This song is growing on me.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wztuqskio8[/yt]
    What a song!!!
    Destined to become a classic.

18. Neroon

Same here, Gil!

BTW.... snyone pick up a copy of the physical disk here in the US....but when you play it in WMP 12 have the track listing show up in Japanese?

Attached Files:

19. 1001001

I have the physical disc, but it hasn't left my car stereo yet. Someone mentioned this on our Rush board. This is the reply they got:

Right click on the album and select "Find Album Info". You should be able to type in "Clockwork Angels", find the correct info and apply it. Select one in English.

I don't know if that helps or not, but that was the advice given.

And yes, The Garden is a very beautiful song. Perfect album closer. I would not be surprised to see this one make the setlist.

Oh, and apparently, Alex has confirmed that they will be joined by a string section on some songs during this tour.

http://music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=Rush-to-add-strings-to-upcoming-tour&nItemID=53171

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

There's a nice interview with Alex HERE at classicrockrevisited.com.

He points out the time on the album cover, in military time, is 21:12. Funny little nod, that.