Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I confess, I never much cared for Section 31 being behind Admiral Cartwright. It doesn't quite fit their style, to me.

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

What would you say their style is? To me, they always seem like they are portrayed as capable of doing whatever is neccesary to protect the Federation as a whole...at least in their own eyes. Peace with the Klingons was not something that they thought was a good thing for the UFP. They, thusly, did what they needed to do. Do you mean the plan itself didn't feel like them?

3. Charles Phipps

Oh, don't get me wrong, Section 31 is nefarious on top of nefarious and was very clearly created to be BADDDDD guys. However, taking on Admiral Cartwright's scheme to them didn't quite fit for me since I'd imagine them as the sort of guys who don't believe in anything resembling a fair fight. Admiral Cartwrights scheme is working with the Klingons to have the two sides go all out at each other.

Somehow, when I think of S31 I think they'd prefer to let the Klingons die out well before invoking military solution. Then again, S31 has undoubtedly been host to however many lunatics they've recruited and has undoubtedly changed many times over the centuries.

I think the Phase Cloak, Baku Field, and so on are all good for Section 31 but I would have liked Admiral Cartwright to be on his own path. Basically, he's early-Kirk from "Errand of Mercy" and disgusted they're negotiating with barbarians.

4. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Well there's nothing to suggest that they didn't have plans within plans. Personally I figured Cartwright for acting on his own initiative and 31 saw the value of giving him a little help. If only so that there'd be a handy fall being.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But if he's a 31 agent, he would have to be Starfleet. As far as I know, pretty much all of 31s people we've seen so far have been part of Starfleet.
    Even Sarina is now part of the security team on DS9 in the Typhon Pact books.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are there any vendors selling ePub versions that are matching Amazon's price ($6.83)? B&N and Kobo aren't, and Sony doesn't have it listed yet.

7. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

Well since so far as I know it's never been explicitly established that 31 ONLY draws from 'Fleet it personally makes best sense to me that while they largely take their personal from their because it's convenient that they do employee a handful of civilian agents.

Alternate explanation... It's an artifact caused by Hypertime.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

We know for a fact that Section 31 draws agents from outside of Starfleet. In "Extreme Measures," it was established that one of its agents was a member of Federation President Jaresh-Inyo's Cabinet.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Although that person could still have been ex-Starfleet. ;)

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Possibly, but nothing requires it. And then there was Federation Ambassador Aubin Tabor of Ullia in Section 31: Rogue, who was most definitely not a Starfleet officer.

11. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

And the genitically engineered doctor in the DS9 S31 novel? And there is no evidence that either of Mack's main S31 agents - L'Haan and the human whose name I've forgotten - are from S31. And Koval - Tal Shiar chairman and S31 sympathiser.

12. Charles Phipps

Here's my review of the novel! Great read!

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/06/star-trek-enterprise-rise-of-federation.html

13. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Just got my copy. Cannot wait to dive in!

14. Charles Phipps

Seriously guys, can't wait to read the rest of the series!

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nice review, Charles, thanks! Although maybe you should repost it in the official review thread (and vote in the poll there); this is more the general announcement/news thread for ROTF.

16. Charles Phipps

Will do. Ditto my comments.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen that episode in years, so I had forgotten about it when I originally posted.

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

How long until somebody opens the thread: Coming Spring 2014: Rise of the Federation - Tower of Babel. :rommie:

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's the third one going to be called? Rise of the Federation - Gazelles Giving Birth? :D

20. Charles Phipps

I heard it was Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: The Search for Porthos.