The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In that War Of The Ewings opening, it looks like Ray dipped his head in an inkwell. Or maybe an oilwell?

Tracy Scoggins was so hot then. Now she looks like the victim of really bad plastic surgery.

Those later openings, at the very beginning, the explosion reminds me more of the A-Team. I'm half expecting to see the black van come jumping over whatever that is that's exploding.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The explosion is from the beginning of the 1988-1989 season, when Carter McKay first shows up and moves in to Ray's house. The main arc at the beginning of the season was the "Ewing-McKay range war" over disputed Southfork land. I don't recall the details, but the explosion itself is a big deal in the context of the arc, as Miss Ellie finally gives the go-ahead to the boys to blow up the dam on the Southfork side of the disputed land.

People say the show was shit after the dream season, but this arc (the range war) in particular was an excellent string of episodes and even brought Ray Krebbs back for a few episodes after initially exited the series.

But yeah, it's completely obvious in War of the Ewings that he's started dying his hair; even my mom, at the time it was first broadcast was disappointed as she'd always liked his silver hair during the series. :lol:

3. Ar-Pharazon

^ Oh I kinda remember those later seasons....vaguely.

I don't really remember when I stopped watching regularly though.

4. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read today that Larry Hagman has been declared cancer-free. Great news, so we should see more of J.R.'s antics next season!

Hagman in the clear!

5. doubleohfive

That's wonderful news! Thanks for sharing! :)

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Hagman was looking a lot better when he showed up for the "Dallas Round-Up" after the season finale, so this confirmation is great news. :)

8. doubleohfive

Afton, after all!

Confirmed by showrunner Cynthia Cidre in TV Guide.

One thing they got wrong in this article is that Afton was never married to Cliff. They lived together for a few years and then she left him. Cliff was married to Jamie Ewing, cousin to J.R. and Bobby, and at the end of the series Cliff tricked April's sister, Michelle Stevens in to marrying him (so he could get control of Ewing Oil) but he was never, ever married (that we know of yet) to Afton. Though, Audrey Landers comments on this in the next article below:

Also, an interview with Audrey Landers all about it.

Selected quotes of note:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good to hear about Hagman's health news! :bolian:

Re the spoiler can we start
    calling her Pamela now?

10. doubleohfive

News about the first season on DVD: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/17538

Looks like it will be pretty cool... though I'm a bit surprised/disappointed none of the "Round Up" segments that TNT aired immediately after the episodes are being included.

You'd think if the network thought they were that important to actually air, they'd include them on this set. Unless of course, that's what "Southfork Legacy" is going to be, just renamed?

11. Ar-Pharazon

I don't see mention of a blu-ray release anywhere and that's strange to me.

I often wonder when they'll stop producing DVD's altogether, but no blu-ray at all?

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

TNT has announced the return date for Dallas - January 28th.

Linkified

13. doubleohfive

14. doubleohfive

15. OmahaStar

16. Ar-Pharazon

[Homer] Woo-Hoo! [/Homer]

Seriously, they're getting a "meatier" role, which is cool as opposed to a quick cameo (ala Ray).

There's still rumors of an appearance by Victoria Principal. I'd love to see that happen.

17. doubleohfive

And now Annie Wersching is joining up for season 2! Is it January yet?

Meh. I love Pam, but I'd rather they not bring her back. Victoria Principal's consistent refusal and disinterest in doing so is well known, but then again right now could be a major sleight of hand. Either way, the last we saw of Pam, she was engaged to someone else and allegedly dying.

18. Ar-Pharazon

^ And we know soaps never try to mislead us as far as someone dying. I mean that would be cruel, right?

19. doubleohfive

Well yeah. But I'm also pointing out that Victoria Principal has shown zero interest in returning to Dallas in any form beyond the two reunion events she participated in. Yeah, people want Pam to come back, but she there's been nothing publicly to lend any credence that even if the show did want her back they could even get her. Sort of like the old "Dirk Benedict on nuBSG" situation.

Lastly, in another topic --
    it amazes me that Lucy didn't recognize Rebecca if and when they ever met. Lucy was married to Mitch, Afton's brother. One would assume that Afton would have told Mitch about Rebecca at some point, and as Lucy exited the original series to be with Mitch again, they presumably would have met Rebecca at some point in her childhood.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the writers reconcile Rebecca as Cliff (and Afton)'s daughter in season 2, if they do at all.

20. OmahaStar

You did a massive re-watch of the series not long ago, so I'm sure you'll know this right off. Wasn't there some kind of fire or other accident that scarred Pam, she had to go in for some kind of facial reconstruction, and came out with a completely new face (as in, she was recast)? Then the "new" Pam was the one who ran off into the sunset, never to return? And didn't she have some kind of terminal cancer on top of the new face?

If that's the case, why would they bring Victoria P back, other than for nostalgia? If they were to bring the character back, why not go with the other actress?

That is assuming I'm remembering Pam's fate correctly. I may be thinking of another series entirely. Hmmm.