Looking for a ST game (but no shooter game please)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by farfaraway, May 25, 2010.

1. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

I saw a YouTube video of 'Star Trek Online - Tour of the
    sol system', which I liked very much. Is it true that
    this game can ONLY be played ONLINE? :eek: Even if I only
    wanted to fly a bit from here to there between the stars...?
    If yes, which other ST game could you recommend for
    'peaceful missions'? (no shooter games please)
    Thanks for any help!!

2. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

3. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i highly recommend the star trek 25th anniversary and star trek judgment rites games. They came out in the mid-90s from Interplay. Really fun point and click adventure games, that played out like television episodes. However, there was some space combat, but only at the beginning of each "episode." and very fun and easy combat. If you can find the CD versions and run them on something like DosBox, you can enjoy hearing william shatner, leonard nimoy, et al. performing the dialogue of the game, with added sound effects.
    I still play these games to this day, and still find them just as fun and entertaining as they were when they came out.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Also, I'm sure there are "peaceful" singleplayer as well as multiplayer mods for Bridge Commander and the Starfleet Command series.

Edit: Actually, there have to be mods like that, since many people use these games as stages for roleplaying.

5. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

Thanks indianatrekker26 and SPCTRE for your tips! (Danke fuer deine Tipps!)

Regarding 'Star Trek Online' I would still like to know whether it's possible
    to play parts of it offline. Thanks in advance if someone could answer this!
    :-)

6. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You're welcome ;)

A broadband internet connection is required to play STO, yes. (As for payment models, they're offering 1-, 3- and 6-month subscriptions, as well as a lifetime subscription: http://www.startrekonline.com/subscribe)

7. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

Thanks!

> A broadband internet connection is required to play STO, yes.

Always and for everything...?
    Would that mean if your 'ticket" expires your game will be completely useless?

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Yes. Without a connection and a subscription the game will not function.

9. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

How/where can I find these mods? :confused:
    Who knows some?
    What do I have to search for? "Missions"?

I only want to buy BC after I've found these mods.
    (BTW Though it's expensive now, can't wait to buy it... :))
    Just want flights - no fights. And research missions of course.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's been a very long time since I last played BC, and I didn't get into heavily modding the game, but bcfiles.com should still have a ton of mods.

Maybe you'll also want to ask the folks over in the Bridge Commander thread, they might be able to help!

11. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

rian47242 - you are the 2nd who recommends these two games!
    Guess they are really funny...
    But would they run under Win 7 or "virtual Win 98"?

12. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

13. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

Thanks Jim, this could help!

14. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

They *do* have some pretty funny moments and quotes, but the best thing is it feels like you're playing an episode. Both are great adventure games.

15. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I'd love a Trek game that wasn't "all combat, all the time" as well. Don't get me wrong....one of things that I didn't like about JR\25thA was the inability to just phaser everything. Even back then I wanted a sandbox game.

But, like t.v. Trek, the stuff that was done sparingly that people loved, well, they got it in spades and the magic of it wore off. I got the FPS Trek shooter I always wanted (especially with the Classic Trek mod), the space combat Trek game I always wanted in BC, tactical combat in SC 1 and 2 and while BotF should've had more diplomacy....it always went to war and conflict a little too quickly.

My ideal Star Trek game would be a game like Star Flight or Star Control 2. Both of those games feel more like Trek games than most Trek games. Hell, I'd be happy if they even used the same basic game "look", top down view, with just fancier graphics. Weird Worlds did just this...but since that game was designed to be played quickly (a five year mission on your lunch break) it lacks the epic feel of the previous two games.

But both SF and SC2 captured the feel of Trek by letting you explore large unknown regions of space. Giving you the freedom to engage in diplomacy, or at least attempt it. Making you have to deal with different races differntly. Brown nosing, bullying, or being neutral....all would work differently depending on who you tired it on.

Really wish someone would do something along those lines. And considering where games are today, you'd think it wouldn't take much effort or money to do a Trek game like this. Sadly, that approach just doesn't seem to work. Everyone thinks too big....a game has to have a crazy big universe, with system crashing graphics or it's not "sexy" enough.

Bah.

16. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    By the way, if all you want to do is fly around in Star Trek ships, STO has a free demo. There is no time limitation, you can play it forever; however you'll rapidly (I.E. the first hour of play) reach a level cap and receive no new missions. But you will be able to fly around almost every zone, visit the various starbases, etc.

17. farfaraway

farfaraway Ensign Newbie

Thanks for your answers!

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds cool - do you have full access to the character builder? I'd quite like to take my time building a cast of characters before I subscribe.

19. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

You "build" only your Captain; the rest, you're stuck waiting for Bridge Officer requisitions, and you don't get much say in their appearance.

20. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Actually, you can modify everything about their appearance once you get them, except their gender and species. If they're "Unknown" you can effectively modify even that by changing their appearance.

First thing I do with all of mine is put them in a TOS uniform. :)