Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Get ready to be surprised.

I do agree that 2015 seems just a little too soon, and it makes me think they've jumped ahead and announced the project before they'd even started putting any thought into what it will be about. 2016 might be better, but 2017 would be cool because of the fortieth anniversary of the original movie.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not? Episodes IV,V,and VI were released 3 years apart from each other (1977,1980, and 1983) as were the Prequels (1999, 2002, and 2005)

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure there are any number of Episode 7 scripts already waiting to be viewed.

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

But how soon did pre-production start? It's not like someone set a date to meet at the studio and get rolling.. before a second of footage is shot it takes months and sometimes years of work.

This is why i feel a 2015 release date (especially if it's in the summer.. July 4th for example) is too soon to deliver quality product.
    I'd rather they take their time and find the best screenwriter/director duo they can find before we get another Phantom Menace.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Episode 7 has been in the plans all along, long before today's news.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ We don't know how long this entire thing (the purchase of Lucasfilm and the planning of SW7) has been 'in train'.

EditEdit: Ninja'd

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

The second point is obviously important (especially as Disney already have Pixar, and there are real synergies & efficiencies between those 2 divisions to be had), but unless Lucas has some kind of actual position in Disney, I'm not convinced his shares will matter massively.

Disney's market cap bounces around the $100B mark. Lucas is reportedly going to get 40M shares, which approximates to about a 2% shareholding in Disney itself. That's a significant percentage, but not enough to call many shots unless he has some other contractual agreement in place or a specific role in the expanded company. From what I hear Lucas is being retained as a "creative consultant", which could mean just about anything from "figurehead" to "driving force". I suspect "figurehead" will be about it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the idea of Disney going ahead with an Episode VII was probably one of the first things on the table when they began the talks of acquiring Lucasfilms.

"We've got a lengthy treatment that we feel really good aobut," [Disney Chairman/CEO Bob] Iger said of Episodes VII-IX.
    http://www.newsarama.com/film/disney-buys-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film.html

Seems like they have an idea of what they want to do already on the table, even if it's still only something scribbled down on a notepad somewhere...

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This may have been in the works, secretly for years.

Oh man... imagine the nerdrage when all the Zhan trilogy elements are ignored... no Jedi twins, no Mara Jade, no Thrawn.
    Unless the story is centred on the Zhan trilogy which would be sort of awesome (fucking amazing).

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Bob Iger is the asshole who killed Twin Peaks.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

When Episode II was in development, it looked like Lucas was having trouble and he said in an interview that he would have preferred to have 4 years instead of 3 to make the movie.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There was no script revisions for Episode 2 and 3 like there were for the other films. They filmed from essentially the rough draft.

14. Ricardus

Ricardus Ensign Newbie

I can almost see wanting to rid himself of the whole responsibility. It's sorta like what Shatner said on SNL 20 years ago:

"Get a life people. You've taken something I did on a lark and turned it into some sort of gigantic waste of time..." (or something like that).

But seriously. He added some scenes with better FX, and even if he DIDN'T make Greedo shoot first people would have been freaking out. I PREFER the newer ones with the improved FX. If I have to have Greedo shooting first to get FX that are awesome, so be it. Anyway, people act like the universe ISN'T HIS TO DO WITH AS HE PLEASES. Now it's someone else's responsibility. I bet he's saying GOOD RIDDANCE.

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've read Lucas reflecting on that and stating that Ep I and II should have been the same movie and EpIII could have been two.

Oh well. I'm thrilled someone else will be directing this bizarre new franchise.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

The time to do the Thrawn story has long passed because all the principal actors are too old now (unless they rewrite the story heavily).

Recasting the iconic three? Huge gamble.. it did pay off with the new Star Trek movie but that's like lightning in a bottle.. extremely rare.

Especially finding a new Han Solo could be tricky.. he brought so much to the role. Now that i think about it.. Nathan Fillion might be open to the role :devil:

Well.. 3 years will pass comparably fast and late next year we might get to see first solid shots and story details.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They can recast Luke like they did with Obi-Wan, but with an older looking actor.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

How soon do we get a trailer? All this time and nothing!!!

I want a trailer NOW!!!!!!!

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:lol:

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^um, why?