How will the Ponds depart?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mitty, Sep 25, 2012.

?

How will the Ponds Depart?

1. One of them dies

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. They both die

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. They get shot back into time by the angels

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  4. They end up in the library with their daughter

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. They slip on a banana peal

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. The TARDIS ejects a room they're sleeping in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. They choke on fish fingers and custard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. the Doctor backs over them with Bessie

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. The TARDIS leaves them behind... IN SPACE

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. other...

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Rory will be sent back in time, and the Doctor and Amy find his gravestone. Thus, Rorys death is a set point and cant be altered, but the Doctor CAN deliver the wife to her husband, and let them live life together.

2. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

^ sounds pretty plausible.

3. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Neither. It's a Futurama episode from season four and ends thusly:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uU7-X0iHes&sns=em[/yt]

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fair enough. I look forward to it nonetheless (but I still have a ways to because my next story is The Next Life, the final Divergent Universe story).

As for the topic, I agree with most that it'll most likely involve the Weeping Angels sending them (or one of them, thus forcing The Doctor to take the other back, too) back in time to live out their days. To top it off, The Doctor will be forced to visit Brian and tell them they'll never come back but will live a full life. The "perfect" bookending to The Doctor's conversation with Brian about companions in "The Power of Three."

5. UncleMac

UncleMac Ensign Newbie

Matt Smith has been quoted as saying ""What Steven has written in this Angels episode is perfect. You know, there's something that harks back to ''The Eleventh Hour,'' that Steven had thought of about two-and-a-half years ago! Isn't that remarkable, that it's been in Steven's head for that long?"

So, what clues are there in "The Eleventh Hour" that might give us a hint?

--Uncle Mac

6. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The explanation of having the Angels shoot them back in time makes sense, but it fails to account for one or more deaths that SM has promised. I recall an interview way back where he said something to the effect of "not everyone makes it out alive, and I mean it this time."

7. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that it would be interesting if The Doctor keeps his promise to Brian and saves Amy and Rory, but Brian ends up dying in the adventure. Whoopsies!

DOCTOR: Sorry about your dad. And err, your only child.

8. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I think we're partially right. The Angels will take Rory first, back in time to New York. But it won't be just Rory's tombstone the Doctor finds - it's Rory's AND Amy's. And they both die the same day - the day Rory was sent back to. The Angels need the time energies released by their demise to accomplish their larger plan for New York. And Amy won't consider abandoning the man who waited 2,000+ years for her to his fate alone, so it's off to 1930's New York we go...

That's gonna be the real drama/heartbreak of this episode. Amy and Rory's deaths are a fixed point in time. Though the Doctor and River will do their damnedest, by episode's end it will become crystal clear there is nothing...absolutely NOTHING...they can do to save them. To quote Tony Stark, "There is NO version of this where you come out on top."

Amy and Rory's final challenge, therefore, will be to sacrifice their lives in a way that denies the Angels what they want. And River's challenge will be to help the shattered Doctor pick up the pieces of his soul and move on without them - as well as her own.

9. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, seeing as the story is set in New York, the most satisfying result IMO would be to have them zapped back in time to 1969. They then meet and adopt their own daughter, newly regenerated, before relocating back to Leadworth under false names. They then get a chance to raise her properly, eventually passing from old age after a long and happy life together.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thus removing River with a Paradox.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The Ponds' death has been so heavily foreshadowed that I think it's a safe bet that nothing will happen to them. The sudden introduction of Brian Williams, on the other hands, reminds me of the old Tom Fontana technique, a.k.a. "make the viewers care about a character right before you kill him". That's why I think that the dad buys it, which leads the Ponds to leave the Doctor.

12. Trubinator

That would be quite stupid.

13. The Mirrorball Man

Or it wouldn't. There's really no way to have an informed opinion about it now.

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well whatever way they leave i am sure they will make a big SPLASH!!!...........(Waits)
    [​IMG]

Tough room. lol

15. Skellington

Interestingly, though, it would probably mean River being around in the present-day NuWhoniverse and with eleven regenerations left. And there's that whole Silence thing too.

I really don't think they'll wipe out River's story. Maybe they'll address the Library episode in some way. (The Williamses should have suspected something by now. At least I would think that they asked him how he first met their daughter.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I completely agree. Fontana was very good at this technique, especially on Oz.

17. Trubinator

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Brian, but I'm inclined to believe the conclusion to his story arc may be after the angels episode. We'll all know by the weekend though!

18. Trubinator

The Guardian actually has an interesting, if unlikely, theory. They seem to believe having Amy regenerate into Jenna Louise Coleman is plausible. I seem to recall an image of The Doctor passing his regeneration mojo into Amy in a Canadian teaser for the Angels episode so you never know.

19. The Mirrorball Man

He was so good at it that after a couple of seasons, we were trained to dread the quieter, nicer moments, because of the tragedy that would invariably follow. ;)

20. Skellington

^ The masochist in me is now curious about Oz.