Babylon 5 vs Farscape

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Elemental, Nov 7, 2010.

?

Which series is best overall?

1. Babylon 5

55.4%
  2. Farscape

44.6%
  1. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I checked out B5 back when the DVDs first came out based on the overwhelming support it was given here and I think (while not without flaws) it is the best TV show I've watched.

Now, I've also heard a lot of praise for Farscape which I've never seen. I'd be interested in hearing how it compares with B5 on a number of different fronts which I'll list below. Please don't vote unless you've seen both shows...

And please, no spoilers for FS.

1. best characters
    2. best storyline/plot
    3. best setting
    4. best themes
    5. best acting
    6. best music
    7. best special effects
    8. best ending/finale
    9. best overall (see poll)

2. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Apples and oranges. They are both excellent series and well worth anyone's time. I don't see why they would have to compete.

3. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

Personally prefer Babylon 5, but Farscape isn't bad either. It comes down to what kind of show you like better. One could say Farscape is a dark comedy (in space!), while Babylon 5 is a political drama (in space!). :) Very different in style and tone.

Lt. LaForge likes this.
  4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That's where I fall. B5 is my favorite of all time, but make no mistake I still thoroughly LOVE "Farscape". They are completely different from each other, going so far as to being produced in different countries. Different kinds stories, different techniques, different everything. And that's a large part of why I do thoroughly enjoy each show

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

While I love both shows, Farscape is my second favorite science fiction show and contains the best romance I've seen in any show. That being said, Leroy is correct in saying that it's like comparing apples and oranges.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Overall I liked B5 better for telling its story, however, apart from G'Kar and Londo, character development was not all that interesting for much of the cast. Any such, like Ivanova and Marcus or Garibaldi and his drinking problems were incidental and little focused on as trials for character growth and often only serviced the plot.

Farscape was much better for character study, especially in its first two years. The overall story with the wormhole aliens, Peacekeepers and Scarans wasn't very compelling for me and I never felt all that drawn into it. Also, Scorpius, who started as a great villain, was far too overused especially in the fourth year for my tastes.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Both are great. You can watch and love both.
    B5 is a big epic story, with moments of small, personal stories
    Farscape is a smaller, more personal tale, with a back drop of an epic story.

FanST and Lt. LaForge like this.
  8. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely.

While I have a definite preference for Farscape, they're quite unalike and both worth catching.

Lt. LaForge likes this.
  9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's hard to compare FARSCAPE to anything because it's so out there, but, obviously, I prefer it. It has superior production values and is much more adventurous than BABYLON 5 (though I also like that series very much).

Lt. LaForge likes this.
  10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Farscape is my favorite show of all time, so obviously I prefer it over Babylon 5. However, that doesn't mean I don't think Babylon 5 isn't also awesome. They're both fantastic shows. They just have completely different styles, so it's really hard to compare the two. All I can say is that I have made several of my friends (some of which aren't even scifi fans) watch Farscape, and they have all fallen in love with it.

FanST and Lt. LaForge like this.
  11. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    of course farscape is out there... It's a australian production... that being said... why does it have to either/or.... can't you enjoy both of them... ???

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Though I personally like B5 more that Farscape, neither can be truthfully said to be intrinsically "better" than the other. Both are fantastic shows with engaging stories, colourful and memorable characters that did a lot with not a lot of money and working in relative obscurity. Aside from that and that they're both sci-fi shows there's really no point comparing them.

13. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5 by a country mile.

Farscape is just Muppets in Space.

Yeah, I went there!

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Two of my all time favorite shows but B5 gets the top vote as best ever series.

1. best characters: B5
    2. best storyline/plot: B5
    3. best setting: B5
    4. best themes: B5
    5. best acting: B5
    6. best music: Farscape
    7. best special effects: Farscape
    8. best ending/finale: Farscape (B5 climaxed way back in the early fourth season)

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love both, but Farscape is my favorite series of all time. The characters in Farscape were a lot more memorable, and there was a mix of comedy, drama, episodic and serialized storytelling that felt like it was a series anyone can get into. Babylon 5 was one long story that was hard to get into, say, season 3 but if you're that dedicated to it, than it's very much worth watching.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Farscape more, even though the writing was much more uneven.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Unlike this poll, which is split right down the middle.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that speaks to the high quality of both shows more than anything else.

Lt. LaForge likes this.
  19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree.

I really want to re-watch Farscape, but I've already re-watched it about 20 times, so it doesn't quite have the magic that it once had. :p

20. Elemental

Elemental Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting. I thought them both to be space dramas but I had heard before that FS had a strong comedic element.

And the purpose of this poll wasn't to have an either/or, I was just curious how people felt they compared.

And I am quite surprised to see the one person who voted FS over B5 for music! I always thought the music is one of the things B5 is most acclaimed for.