Supernatural 4x1 "Lazarus Rising" SPOILERS after ep discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure he went anywhere, per se. Just a deathly nap. :lol:

2. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly don't get why the religious groups would have a problem with agent of God being brought into the show. I mean... they're angels and don't the religious Groups believe in angels?

Personally, I'm happy that the concept of the "Other" side is FINALLY being explored. Up to this point, most of the demons themselves (low on the totem pole mind you) have had no real clue if God is real or not. They're just agents of Chaos for the most part. Human souls that made bargains or deals long ago and then eventually slipped into becoming Demons. No one we've met has really been one of the Fallen yet.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens now. I'm hoping that the Archangel is legit and NOT out for some nefarious purpose, but again we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Also, just to add:

Sam shouldn't be lying about his powers, BUT I think Dean's kneejerk reaction to his abilities is the reason for it. It's very possible that someone with "Bad" powers can choose to do good in a universe where there is Free Will, but then again Absolute Power corrupts more often than not.

3. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

About F:devil::devil::devil:ING time they brought in players from the other side. And it's starting to look like my theory that Sam is Lucifer is looking more and more likely. All in all a great episode, and it looks like this season is going to kick some major ass.

On a slight side note, I found a couple script pages from the end of the episode, with certain words and phrases carefully hidden --

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3641762/Castiel

-- enjoy.

4. Dorian Thompson

HA! "Guy." Who were they kidding? :lol:

Dean has used the word "freak" to refer to Sam and his likewise psychically gifted brethren before. There's plenty of emotional minefields to traverse with Sam.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I liked the episode a lot, but it did feel a little off. I'm not sure what it was though.
    It seems like they're cranking up the mythology of the show. As the promo said they seem to be leading up to the End of Days, and upping their game with the threat level.
    I have to wonder if Castiel is playing Dean though. Lightning, dark shadows, burning the eyes out of people who are possessed rather than banishing the demons etc. seem pretty dark for an angel.
    The devil/Lucifer is also an angel, could he not be pulling this stuff, too? Sam was only supposed to lead Yellow eyes armies, perhaps Dean will be ending up doing the devils dirty work, and cleaning up these upstart demons, such as Lilith?

Not that I have any objection to it being true either, I just think it could be they both think they're doing good, only to turn out their both paving their own road to hell.

6. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Glad to know I'm not the only who think so...

7. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overnights are out Smallville got a 2.9 (a terrible performance by Smallville) and Supernatural got a 2.7 (which is higher then any numbers I have from last year) though both of these should be inflated (which really sucks for Smallville) due to Chicago.

8. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic show, and as others have stated, it's about time angels appeared. It perplexes me that angles have an appearance that would harm people's eyes :wtf: I'm betting this season really kicks into high gear.

9. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I REALLY didn't like the look of the episode. It looke awful on tv. Other than that though. It was merely ok. Not sure how I like the angel development. And while I almost always prefer brunettes over blondes I like the old Ruby better.

10. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Lots of hot demonesses I've been wanted to be touched by over the course of the series. LOL Though the best of the ladies, good ro evil, was in season one with the woman sam fell for in the little girl in the painting episode. Sooooooo hot...

11. Dorian Thompson

If the inflated numbers for the Chicago preemption hold true to the other times it's been preempted in Chicago, it should lose between 250,000 and 300,000 viewers. That puts the actual ratings--at worst--at 3.66 million, which would have been a season high last season. That with NO advertising by CW. Literally none. That's higher than 90210's final ratings this week. That's a good sign.

I liked Katie Cassidy better, too, but with the budget cuts they couldn't afford to keep her on contract, not with Misha Collins on board. They had to hire a miss temporary, unknown actress to give Ruby a new meatsuit. Blame the CW for that one. Gossip Girl was the only show to get an increased budget. Supernatural's budget was cut by about a quarter.

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Here are the latest figures..
    http://www.medialifemagazine.com/ar...s_50/Hefty_tune-in_for_Supernatural_debut.asp

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Angels weren't always depicted as the bright-and-fluffy peaceniks they're typically imagined as these days. Everything about Castiel so far seems like some real Old Testament stuff, which is awesome. It's a shame we'll probably never see Pam again (pun intended), she was cool.

14. Dorian Thompson

I'll be interested to see the final numbers with Chicago sifted out. Yeah, premiering Supernatural in October last season, after the fall competition on the other networks started (and a week after Smallville to boot) was about the dumbest thing the network could have done, but it was atwitter over its Gossip Girl premiere. Supernatural did play late last night in Chicago, and those numbers do count in Nielsens when aired the same day before 3 a.m of the following morning. The question is....how many in Chicago actually stayed up to watch? My prediction is between 3.65 and 3.70 million, which is still shockingly good for this network. Gossip Girl's final was only 3.73 million. If Supernatural got above that, that would be sweet. Gossip Girl hasn't had to contend with Heroes yet. That'll suck away those youth demos.

Indeed. My thoughts exactly. My mother is Catholic; she called me to discuss the episode and said she thought it was a fairly accurate old testament depiction of angels.

15. Dorian Thompson

Well, we got the final numbers. As it turns out, losing Chicago cost Supernatural.....nothing. Sueprnatural aired late that night (which counts if its watched before 3 a.m.) and every single Nielseon viewer in Chicago must have watched. :eek:

Final ratings--Supernatural, 3.96 million viewers. 1.7/5 in the demo. That is better than the final rating for Gossip Girl this week, kids, with a very comparable demo. It bettered last season's finale by almost a million viewers. Warner Brothers sent out press packets on its own and boy did they work. :bolian: 3.96 million. Hallelujah!!! Premiering early sure works better than premiering a week after Smallville and after all the other Thursday competition premieres, like they did last year. :rolleyes:

16. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

That's great news!

What arm was the hand print on? I thought it was the right side, but the psychic was on Dean's left. Does he have hand prints on both shoulders from Castiel pulling him out of hell?

17. Dorian Thompson

You know, I don't remember which one it was, witchie. Maybe both arms had the mark?

18. Auralis

Auralis Captain Captain

Left side. The right side is viewed in the mirror when he pulls up the sleeve for the first time to see whats on his arm.

19. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved this episode. I missed most of last season, though I did see the finale last week need to pick the DVDs, so I knew that Dean had died. My concern was that Dean would come back some way and not be Dean. Like with what happen on Buffy in season six. But, from the gas station on he was still Dean. We'll see if that continues as he starts to remember things from Hell, but he was still Dean.

I have to say that I am excited the other side has finally made an appearance. And Dean's relutance to beleive that Castiel was really an 'Angel of the Lord,' hes fought demons and been to Hell itself and has no faith in a 'good side' of life, was right on character for him. This season will hopefully be the best one yet.

Best line from 4X01: "You are not invited!":guffaw:

ncc71877:evil:

20. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favorite mangas is Angel Sanctuary which deals with the battle between Heaven and Hell, Angels and Demons and sometimes the Angels are worse then the Demons. So I definitely love this twist in the Supernatural mythos.

I don't really see how Dean was shocked at Angels being real. They've been fighting Demons and using religious artifacts (holy water) to fight them. Why wouldn't Angels be real?