The unofficial Rock Band thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Aragorn, May 30, 2008.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone cares about discussing this game, I thought I'd start up a new thread.

This week's downloadable content was a complete album from The Cars from their self-titled album. It is the second of three announced complete albums to be released. The first one was Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance." The Pixies' "Doolittle" is due out in June and The Who's "Who's Next" is rumored to be in the works.

Next week will feature two song packs of three songs each and the two artists are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

First off is Disturbed with "Indestructible," "Inside the Fire" and "Perfect Insanity" from their upcoming self-titled album. For a limited time, it'll be $2.99 for the three-pack or .99 cents per song.

But most surprisingly, Jimmy Buffett made new recordings of of three songs for Rock Band -- "Margaritaville," "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "Volcano." These will be at their regular price.

2. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to grab the Disturbed songs because they are cheap.
    I like the German songs and the Muse song is awwweeeesome.

While I don't need RB2, I hope EA/HMX/MTV announces it and somehow punches GH4 in the gut. If they do song creation and backwards compatibility with RB1 songs, I'll honestly have no reason to bother with GH4.

Holy crap, I just youtubed some of the Jimmy Buffett stuff and wow... I wonder how the Rock Band crowd will take it. :)

3. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Sold. I'll take eight! I guess Wave of Mutilation is exempt considering it's already on the default tracklist? Maybe there's still time to convince 'em to put Vamos on there in its place... ;)

I haven't played in a while. I'm okay at the drums, better than anyone else who tries to play 'em here, but better at the guitar. Still halfway through the Medium solo tour, though. Got other things to play.

I'd kill for a Bass solo tour.

4. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I picked up Rock Band a few months ago, but didn't have the time to get really into it until recently. There's tons of DC I wanna pick up for it. Especially those Disturbed tracks.

I think I tool around with the drums on my PC more than I use them for the game.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I would have picked this up, but the fact that it's hideously expensive in the UK and you have to buy the instruments (you can't use the regular controller) means I am no longer interested.

Hopefully the next Guitar Hero won't make the same mistake.

6. JonathonWally

The point of the game is the instruments

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It's a rhythm game, it doesn't have to be played with the instruments. Guitar Hero III gives me the choice to use the controller, Rock Band does not.

Rock Band would cost me £39.99 just for the game. The instruments all together are £99.99.

Then, Guitar Hero IV comes out with it's incompatible drum kit and I've got two sets of plastic drums taking up space in my house.

8. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I had to RMA my drums as I had cracked the heads from all the abuse I have them. I got them back last Tuesday and I remember how much I was missing these last two weeks. I gold Star'd "Enter the Sandman" on Expert drums and I almost beat "Won't Get Fooled Again". I've been trying a different technique for the bass pedal stuff that is using a different set of muscles. I'm looking into getting a real set and doing the real thing.

I also finally beat "GG&HT" on expert guitar. I had been getting to 95% for months, but I tried a different technique that helped me get through the sweeps.

I can't wait for "Who's Next" to come out. I want more Keith Moon on drums!

9. JonathonWally

Use your thigh muscle and not your calf muscle, bending your knee and not your ankle.

10. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Since it's just out in the UK, I've been getting into it recently.

It's good - the guitar is way, way less difficult than GH and I like that. I just want to have fun in these games - not find everything a tiresome challenge. Guitar provides a nice break from medium drums which are a new skill for me to develop. Band stuff is super too.

The mix of songs is nice. Not everything is squeadly with its trembolos.

11. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I really want now is Dark Side of the Moon. I always wanted to see if I can nail the madcap laughter at the end of Brain Damage. Also Time's intro drum section should be very interesting to play.

12. Fedaykin

Fedaykin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Any Floyd on one of these games would be welcome...Dark Side would be the ultimate.

That said, I'm totally downloading The Who stuff and Jimmy Buffett. i may eventually have to shell out for the bigger HD for the 360 if I keep downloading all this stuff.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damnit, I missed one note playing "More Than a Feeling" on hard. :(

Any songs you wish Rock Band would add? Some for me:

1. Bitch - Meredith Brooks
    2. Let It Ride - Bachman Turner Overdrive
    3. The Touch - Stan Bush
    4. Save Me - Remy Zero
    5. C'mon C'mon - The Von Bondies
    6. Princes of the Universe - Queen
    7. It's the End of the World as we Know It - R.E.M.
    8. More Bon Jovi
    9. Maybe some Alanis Morissette

They need some more female vocal songs, since the only good singers I have are girls.

There's also a rumor that Rock Band players can kiss more Metallica goodbye since Guitar Hero: Aerosmith will be followed with Guitar Hero: Metallica.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  14. firehawk12

Apparently the Motley Crue song did better on Rock Band than it did on Amazon or iTunes. It's a whole new world baby. :)

15. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I Gold Starred MTaF one my first try. I guess I must have remembered how it went on GH I :D

I want some 38 Special. That would rock.

16. JonathonWally

Smashing Pumpkins
    Pantera
    Ozzy
    Dave Matthews Band
    Van Halen
    AC/DC
    Def Leppard
    Dream Theater
    Pearl Jam
    Iron Maiden
    Jimi Hendrix
    Korn

I could probably go on forever.

17. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not just that it's less difficult... the note charts in RB actually make sense, as opposed to GH3 where they're half random. Harmonix knows how to make good note charts, Neversoft did not. Hopefully they'll improve by GH4 or else I'll just skip it entirely.

I really don't see the big deal in song creation in GH4. Yes, it'd be a cool thing to have, but as I understand it you basically make the note chart and it generates the music off of that. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it's not like you can import an mp3 and make a chart for it. And until someone does that (and no one will because of the IP concerns) I don't see the big deal.

18. firehawk12

Well, GH4 looks actually fully featured. Yeah, they're not going to let you make notes based on mp3s - you have Frets on Fire for that - but I'm sure people will do some cool things since it looks like you can basically do something similar to "Jam Sessions" for the DS.
    Of course, the lack of vocals will make the songs kind of suck... but if people can port over some cool instrumental songs - like Canon Rock - I'll be happy.

Also, tried the new songs. Pretty fun, if not a bit hard. I guess that's expected of metal or rock or whatever they are. :)

19. firehawk12

20. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I don't have an account with that website. What is the message?