R.I.P. Lee Thompson Young

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

This is really sad. :(

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/r-i-p-lee-thompson-young/"]

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

:eek: :(

That really is sad. I liked Barry Frost...

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

His character committed suicide on FlashFoward. :(

4. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

That's unfortunate; another very premature death.

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rest in peace.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

How very sad.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeesh, WTF, hard seeing so many nice-looking successful types hitting rock bottom. Makes it hard not to lose faith as a fucked up out-of-shape type struggling to find peace. RIP guy, if there's anything after this hope you find what you're looking for.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

A real shame. :(

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I pray for peace to his family and his friends during this difficult time.

As for "losing faith", let's resolve to never do that.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's extremely sad.

With suicide, he ended all chances of getting out of his problems alive and well. I don't think that's ever a wise choice. As long as you live, there is a chance that everything gets better. Not only a chance that it becomes better by coincident (happens at times), but also the chance that you can get out of it yourself, if you just hold on and wait for the opportunity. That's what it's all about.

As for the success thing. At the time of the suicide attempt, people are at their most egoistical. Life is soooo bad on them. No matter how many millions they have on their bank account, how many friends they have. Their world view is so egocentrical at that moment that they lose every perspective. And they are at that moment also way too proud and deny any outside help. In short and in extremely harsh words: people who commit suicide are at the moment of the attempt basically the peak of arrogant egomaniacs who give a shit about their surroundings.

You can ALWAYS hit it lower than you currently do. ALWAYS. There are so many people out there that have far greater problems and still never give up. People who lost their limbs. People who live under the bridge. People who lost their entire family. People who are paralized up to their neck. And on and on. And still didn't go the egoistical "Oh life is so unfair" route and kill themselves without thinking about the consequences for all the other people around them they ignored in they egocentric world view. And without thinking about the consequences that their life could have turned for the better even though they couldn't see it just now.

Suicide is chickening out on problems that other people handle better. It might be a harsh point of view. But eventually, those who move on despite their pain have everything to gain, and those who kill themselves lost everything and gain nothing. History is full of people who hit rock bottom, continued, and got themselves up again.

Seriously, there is NO problem on this world that justifies suicide. NOT A SINGLE ONE. For every problem you bitch about, I can tell you ten even worse problems and name you people who lived through those problems and turned them upside down.

That whole mantra of "Appreciate what you have instead of bemoaning what you don't have" is a valid one. It's all a matter of perspective. Never lose that perspective.

11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Harsh, yes. Even worse, terribly narrow. Worst of all, entirely lacking in empathy. You're assuming that suicide is due to a lack of character. Funny, they used to say that about alcoholism and being gay and all sorts of things. You don't have the slightest clue as to this man's mental state.

Obviously you've never struggled with or had any experience of mental illness. Be glad of that. And don't judge everybody by your own standards and lack of experience.

Jan

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A complete misinterpretation of what I was saying. It's not about a lack of character at all.

That depression and eventually suicidal thoughts are extremely egocentric thought processes is not an invention of mine. Baron and Hanna (1990, "Egocentrism and depressive symptomatology in young adults") tested 150 adults between 18 and 25 to see how the presence of depression affected egocentrism and found that the participants with depression showed higher levels of egocentrism.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013