A Semi-Hater Revisits Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TheGodBen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just posed a question in the Enterprise thread, but I know that many of the people that read this thread decided not to follow along in that thread for various reasons so I'll ask it here too:

So, B5, DS9, or should I stop? I report, you decide. :p

2. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

3. Frazzled

Frazzled Commander Red Shirt

DS9. And then this 'lady' would then be in your queue, if I wasn't already spoken for ;)

4. PolloCaballo

PolloCaballo Ensign Red Shirt

I agree. DS9.

5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

D. S. 9.

6. Chang

Chang Admiral Admiral

7. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    DS9.

Resistance is futile.

8. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I hope so, cuz if you're getting paid I wanna know how and how much so I can jump on that bandwagon. :lol:

DS9 by the way.

9. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did one I have half a mind to get back to, but it's the half-assed ramblings of someone going back through the series a second time for no good reason; not exactly competition.

Farscape. Clearly.

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

11. TheGodBen

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go for B5. :D

Now hear me out on this. Most of the commenters in the Enterprise thread leaned towards B5 and while discussing it with them I came to realise something: right now I don't have a good angle from which to attack DS9. I could attack Voyager from many angles because I didn't like a lot of the show, and the same is true for Enterprise even though my overall impressions of the show are slightly positive. But when it comes to DS9 I love the stories, the style of writing and the characters, so it would be difficult for me to find a way of criticising it beyond some of the really rubbish episodes.

But by watching the "superior" space station show from that era I'd gain a new perspective when viewing DS9, especially if I actually like B5. I'm certainly not going to turn into a basher, I love DS9's characters and style too much to turn on it, but it will help me to locate missed opportunities and those infamous areas where DS9 was "influenced" by B5.

So I'll probably go for B5 first, but so long as I don't die or, worse, get a girlfriend, I will eventually get around to reviewing DS9.

I'll say to you what I said to the people who were trying to get me to watch BSG 2 years ago: "It's not going to happen. I will never watch that show."

The original episodes or the remastered versions? ;)

12. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

BLASPHEMY!!!!

13. Frazzled

Frazzled Commander Red Shirt

I'm crushed :wah:

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Makes sense to me. I like the idea of B5 before DS9 now. And also, I--

Waitaminute, Godfrey. You don't have a girlfriend right now?

So...
    How you doin? ;)

15. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought TheGodBen was dating Enterprise? Or maybe that didn't work out?

16. You_Guyz

You_Guyz Commander

I actually bought B5 recently, found the first few episodes difficult to get through.
    Am now watching Stargate SG1 in a sort of exchange with my friend as I'm introducing her to Star Trek via Voyager. Since Voyager had such a good first season it seemed like a good idea :D
    I also don't own DS9 season 1 and my TNG season 1-4 DVDs are at home.

17. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

I've mostly avoided commenting on posts that were posted ages ago, even though I'm reading them now since I'm watching season 6 of VOY, but I have to comment on this one.

Well, you're obviously more 'evolved' than I am. ;) I wouldn't consider myself especially jealous or possessive person, i.e. I'm not one of the people who get jealous without a good reason, but this seems like a very good reason to me. If you really love the person you're in a serious relationship with, why would you be still pining over some unrequited crush from years ago? :wtf: Unless something's not right with that relationship or you're not really that in love with the person you're with. :shifty: :klingon:

Even if the guy not just names a ship after his former crush but becomes completely obsessed with a projection/representation of that former crush, even claiming that she was what he always wanted? :vulcan:

What really irks me in the episode is B'Elanna's reaction. It shows that VOY writers just don't know how to write believable characters who act like real people would. I've never been crazy about the characterization of B'Elanna - she is portrayed as someone with a very bad temper who gets angry at the slightest provocation, which is usually blamed on her half-Klingon identity, which I have a big problem with (and this bad reasoning was particularly emphasized by "Faces" which made it seem that both her temper and her strength is completely the result of her Klingon DNA, while her "Human half" is a meek little wimp :wtf: ). And now, in "Alice", when she has a legitimate reason to be angry at Tom, she is completely calm and understanding? :cardie: It really doesn't ring true. :vulcan: :klingon:

If by growing you mean changing the character's personality 180 degrees.

18. TheGodBen

Enterprise is a fun girl, but a little brainless. I don't regret our time together, but I don't see it working out between us. See, Enterprise is only 225 meters long, and I'm something of a chubby chaser, so I've found my eye being drawn to a certain 5 mile long space station of late.

19. Tallis Rhul

Tallis Rhul Commander Red Shirt

Someone has to say this really...

"It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it."

Usually said by people who're stuck with a Type VI Shuttle when someone's used to flying a Romulan Warbird ;)

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And yet the 700-meter long lady with "ample nacelles" (and how!) does nothing for you? Tsk tsk. Such hypocrisy.