Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I will bet you a shiny new flying car that he does, because we'll totally have those by the distant future of 2018 according to scifi. ;)

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Count me among those who believe that this should not happen at any point in the series (unless it is temporary).

3. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Perhaps a cloned human version of Jake (simulacrum, whatever) could be used so that he could then interact with the human forces?

Horrible idea, imo, but still -- it would be an 'Avatar'... :p

Cheers,
    -CM-

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Avatar2 :the avatar tech is used to plug someone into some space dolphin avatar to explore a water planet, find out the space dolphins are technologically advanced, kick the humans off their world.

Avatar 3: The Avatar tech is used to make peace with a superior species, war tension abound, eased by quasi inter-species sex

Avatar 4: We finally find out what Weyland Yutani knew about the Xenomorphs and why the Space Jockys wanted to destroy us

5. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Good for you.

Avatar is what made me hate Avatar.

6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I have not read the novelization or played all the extra content of the extended Blu-Ray or perused the coffe table "behind the scenes" book, I'm sure there are details I've missed, but just watching the movie, I got the impression that the Na'vi may not be fully indigenous to Pandora.

They possess 4 limbs and just two eyes whereas all other higher vertibrates have 6 limbs and 4 eyes. Plus the nerve tendril business, the "horses" and the banshees have two while the Na'vi just have the one.

I'm sure the more attentive viewers consider this "old news", but I have not engaged in those discussions. I would think that's potential for story right there. Just why ARE the Na'vi so fundamentally different from all other (so far seen) higher life-forms on that world? Do you think Cameron will explore this?

Sincerely,

Bill

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. "

Whoops sorry wrong movie. :p

But yep in a real world situtation orbital bombardment might be the solution. But then just come up with some phoney science that in order to be effective from orbit the bombs would have an effect on the materiels being mined renderding them worthless.

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I was kind of cold to the idea of more Avatar movies despite enjoying the first one, but Locutus' ideas actually interest me. So if Cameron's heading in a similar direction, I'm down.

(That said, if Gaia isn't voiced by Whoopi Goldberg and there aren't five kids with power rings I'm gonna feel ripped off. :shifty: )

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, if unobtanium was in floating mountains, then that means it was more easily spalled off during impacts. Therefore Avatar 1 should have been about Earth ships mining astroids, and the Nav'i not even knowing they were there.

Forget face on Mars, when I first saw Voyager footage of the moon Mirans--the first thought I had was "strip mine." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_(moon)

That turned out to be natural processes though.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. Cameron absolutely got Aliens right, so hopefully history will repeat for him.:shrug: Multiple sequels are a gamble.:sigh:

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The sequels I think are as good or even better than the original happen to be different. Aliens is not comparable to Alien as it's an entirely different genre. TWOK is different from TMP. TDK has an entirely different tone than Batman Begins. The Empire Strikes Back is different from Star Wars. Terminator 2 is Teminator on steroids, but has a whole different feel to it.

12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

That might be the key to a good sequel make it different from the first, when sequels try to copy an earlier film to much they can fail. i.e. Alien3