Impact on Star Trek as Disney reboot Star Wars.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Oct 30, 2012.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I was thinking, with JJ's lack of interest in committing to do a minimum of 3 Star Trek films. This based on his reluctance to say he would direct what is now title Into Darkness until the last minute last year. Who thinks JJ might jump ship and try to direct one of the Star Wars sequels? It is a dream for the man and all. Now he has the opportunity to do it.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But who actually wants to see a lens flare eclipse a Star Destroyer? Or for that matter, C-3PO generating a lens flare everytime he moves?

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I see what you did there, I just don't see why. The Clone Wars is at least as bad as Phantom Menace.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's TREASON.

Or at least, very depressing.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I knew it....I saw this comming from a mile.Many people thought that I was been hateful and foolish.

I knew there will be some sort of impact....if JJ directs Star Wars then that means he wont direct Star Trek 3...or Star Trek 13

7. teacake

WHAT.

GODDAMNIT.

This is complete crap! He's going to OF COURSE direct his beloved SW and Trek will either be on the back burner, endlessly put off or delayed or at the very best passed on to someone else who makes a hatchet job of it or recasts the whole lot or reboots it again or..

I feel like this is war.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh...There's no reason JJ can't pass it off to one of his boys, and serve as Executive Producer for the 3rd film.

9. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I never expected Abrams to direct a third Trek film and I'm surprised he's even directing Into Darkness. He has a long history of setting things up and then moving on so that others can take over.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal and in his shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. Who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity to direct films in two of the biggest sci-fi franchises to have ever existed. Unless he has some sort of burning desire to direct a third Trek Film, I say if they make the offer than he should most certainly take it.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think that's going to happen anyway. Star Wars or no Star Wars.

11. teacake

Okay.

Maybe if it means not waiting for long drawn out periods between films it's for the best.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Paramount is likely to do whatever it takes to get Trek 13 in theatres in 2016 (three years after Into Darkness). 50th anniversary and all that.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/11...lity-of-Directing-Star-Wars-Episode-VII.shtml

He makes a good point - desperate fanboys don't necessarily make the best directors. SW needs a fresh perspective.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd rather get rid of Orci & Kurtzman than Abrams.

15. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

I was thinking the same thing myself. I rather doubt Mr Abrams is responsible for the things I dislike most about the movie. So it seems likely that "desperate fanboys" make worse writers than they do directors, at least if they have a small picture view of the subject matter. I.e. If they try to pack in as many "mince pies" and "Christmas puddings" as possible without having an overall understanding of, or interest in, the material. Perhaps these days that kind of holistic approach is out of fashion.

By the way, it's strange how often "then" and "than" are confused with each other now. So often in fact that it doesn't seem like just a typo.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't get me started on "roll" and "role." :)

17. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Yes, there are a number that sound the same but have different meanings. "Too" and "to" etc. But the weird thing with "then" and "than" is they don't sound quite the same and the pronunciation gives a hint about the spelling, so maybe they are being mispronounced as well?

I hasten to add that I'm not referring to BillJ's usage of course, but to the "then" in the quote of JJ Abrams where the writer means "than".

18. teacake

My current pet hate is how perfectly mature people (as in, not teenagers) spell ridiculous "rediculous".

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That drives me up a fucking wall, especially in the age of spell-check! :rofl:

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Does it make you red with fury?! :p