Batman 3 rumors

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EnterpriseF, Sep 9, 2008.

1. EnterpriseF

EnterpriseF Commander Red Shirt

2. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still a little ambivalent about the Riddler - but that's because I haven't heard what particular spin might be put on him. Penguin as an international arms dealer is good, though. If they can get those two guys, I'm sure it'd be an interesting movie.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

MODS can we just have one standard Batman 3 rumor thread.

Frankly until Nolan gets back and even decides what his next film will be EVERYTHING will be just rumor. Hardly worth noting. Yet in the weeks since TDK was released this is about the 4th or 5th thread with rumors on the next Nolan Batman.

I'm all for people wanting to discuss them. I'd just rather not have a new one every 10-12 days and frankly thats the current track record.

4. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't matter what Warner wants, really, does it? I would think it's all up to Nolan.

5. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

Every time a Bat-movie comes out, we have about a year of these rumours, none of which turn out to be true. The Penguin-as-arms-dealer one was doing the rounds after Begins, if memory serves.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

We should just start making up rumors here and see if they get picked up elsewhere.

Robert Downey, Jr. -- Riddler
    Jack Black -- Penguin
    Ben Stiller -- Mad Hatter
    Matthew McConaughey -- Deadshot
    Tom Cruise -- Hugo Strange
    Nick Nolte -- Rupert Thorne
    Danny McBride -- Harvey Bullock
    Steve Coogan -- Creeper

:)

7. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

Good idea. I heard Spaceman Spiff was going to be the Riddler, and I'm going to play the Mad Hatter.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think The Riddler would be interesting because he would bring out Batman's detective's skills to the forefront and be the main focus of the film. I've hated the suggestions of making The Riddler into a Zodiac-esque character. I would rather have be more focused on a specific vendetta against an individual or individuals (like the Mayor or Gordon), leading the Batman through a series of traps in order to rescue either of those people or their families. Or something like that.

Another suggestion I've seen float around here is having Edward Nygma being brought in as a profiler in the hunt for Batman but then going on his own little crazy mission behind the scenes which comes to frutition for the climax.

Either way, I rather have David Tennant who has also expressed interest in playing The Riddler.

9. I think its way too early for any of this but if Michael Caine said an exec told him I'm inclined to believe it. It's likely though that the exec could have been talking about his hopes or rough plans for what he'd like to see happen ie they will try to approach Depp/Hoffman.

All I know is, Johnny Depp and Philip Seymour Hoffman, with Bale and Nolan returning = me there on opening day.

I'll watch Depp in anything but Hoffman is a really intriguing choice. I think, handled in a more menacing manner, this guy has real screen presence. I can imagine some really crackling scenes between him and Christian Bale. Much better option than rolly-polly guys with perpetually goofy looks on their face (Bob Hoskins :rolleyes:)

I like the idea of Riddler as a profiler or maybe a private investigator, or something, putting his brilliance to use in tracking down Batman's identity. In fact, maybe his lack of progress, batman giving him the slip too many times, frustrates him and he falls down the slippery slope, doing more and more drastic things to root out batman, eventually staging big horrible crimes to draw Batman out. Tie in with Penguin somehow. Another intriguing choice for Riddler would be Guy Pierce who has a relationship with Nolan.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  10. Aragorn

Of all the names rumored about, I'd rather see Guy Pearce as Riddler. Actually, my preferred choice would never even be offered the role -- James Spader.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You know, we tried that with the Dark Knight Megathread ... and you know what happened? People bitched and moaned, they said that their own topics were so fundamentally important that they needed to exist outside of the Megathread, and no one paid any attention.

So, no. You rubes have shown that Science Fiction & Fantasy can't have nice things. Enjoy the weekly threads with new tidbits of information that suggest Christopher Nolan may or may not return for another Batman movie (and, of course, "plans are subject to change"). :p

12. Lapis Exilis

Warners will be footing the $300 million bill to make and market the film so their opinions do matter a bit.

13. Keep it the way it is, I hate consolidated threads, because they get so filled and you end up missing posts left and right, and thread digressions end up killing the discussion since you can't ignore them without ignoring the whole thread, and frankly, it's just not as fun browsing the forums if every bit of info is in one thread. The more varied threads the better.

14. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

Not to mention the fact that they own the character and the film rights, and they're the ones that hired Nolan. If they decide they want certain characters or actors more than they want Nolan and Nolan won't go along with them, they'll just hire a director who will (not that I expect it to come to that). What Warner wants is what matters most.

15. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Once DVDs are sold, The Dark Knight will have made just short of a bazillion dollars. So, I imagine the pressure is on to use the better known villains and even better known actors for a sequel. But I hope Nolan resists the urge, and he may. This is the guy who relaunched the franchise on the backs of Ra's al Ghul and the Scarecrow.

Surprise me.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't know people moaned about the MegaThread. After TDK had been out a few weeks I stopped popping in there. Must have missed the crying about it.

Well then obviously put me down in the "Megathread as acceptable" column when its deemed necessary.

Did people moan about all Megathreads or just TDK? Mods merged the Superman Returns Reboot threads and I don't recall any bitching about that.

17. Aragorn

Someone at Warner will demand Nolan insert Venom as one of the baddies. :lol:

18. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still hoping for Angelina Jolie as Catwoman.

19. Lapis Exilis

Heh - the next film surprising us is one thing I'm not worried about.

I don't think it's about better known actors so much as good actors. Luckily there are many good actors who are well known, and so far the execs who are running the Batman franchise and Nolan have done just fine balancing those two aspects. I mean, it's not like Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a giant box office draw. How many people here saw The Savages? But Johnny Depp is, while still being highly skilled. It would be a good mix, though as many say it's just rumors. What's been interesting about the rumors so far in the history of these movies is that the villains are usually right (we heard about Scarecrow and Ra's pretty early on, and Joker too) and the actors are often wrong, because the rumors are generated either by the actors themselves (or at least their agents) making bids for the parts or just looking to up their media cache, or by fans who'd like to see so-and-so in such-and-such part. The one reason to not dismiss completely the actor business is that the very earliest rumors were fan-generated... and turned out to be right. Not only was Christian Bale cast, but he's been amazing in the part.

See, we're not always just wanking ourselves. Only part of the ti... well, maybe 50% of the... okay, most of them time - but not always.

20. Aragorn

I think Catwoman would be ideal for the next movie. Batman's being treated as an outlaw and fugitive, and coming across someone like her who isn't a clear-cut "evil doer" could blur his lines a bit. Then you have an actual menace to Gotham to counter Catwoman.