PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Artist: Kommander
    Medium: Plaster on wood and wire mesh
    Title: My Boss Needs to Learn How to Fucking Not Crash into Buildings

If you look really closely at the texture, you'll see a picture of my boss's car embedded in a wall and him standing next to it looking upset and angry. I wonder how long it'll take him to notice?

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoops... sorry, didn't see that! Talk about prime camouflage.

I'm glad to hear that this device helps make life easier for you. I can appreciate how much of a pain it is to get regular shots instead. Hope it all works out well. :)

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the spirit of having felt like a dummy for missing that exposure in the last one...

[​IMG]

;)

4. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I had no idea the tolerances where so precise with type 1. Considering that and your other complications, this would seem the better solution. Here's hoping it works for you :)

5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

didn't know you were so sensitive, also, does it play MP3's as well?

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It's interesting that you posted this when you did. I was browsing CTV News yesterday and came across this article and it looks like they are talking about the very device you are using, except they are referring to it as an artificial pancreas.

7. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I know! I'm a cyborg now -- and as weird as it sounds, the Nerd is so strong in me that this is one of the main things keeping my spirits up!

8. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Matt Smith is a Bolian ? :)

Seriously though, I love the way kids don't give a crap about colour. I'm looking forward to my godchildren's psychedelic scrawls.

9. thestrangequark

Just missed this!

The pump and the artificial pancreas aren't exactly the same thing, though the artificial pancreas involves a pump. The pump has been around for ages, and the artificial pancreas is still very much in the testing phase. The artificial pancreas involves what is called a "closed-loop" system -- a glucometer and pump, either internal or external, that monitor and regulate blood sugar on their own. Current pumps, while they can link to glucometers wirelessly, and can be programmed to do a lot of things automatically, are still ultimately under the control of the individual. Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) technology is still very new and imprecise, and frankly, closed-loop systems scare the crap out of me and I don't think I would ever want one. This sentiment is shared by a lot of diabetics.

I'd actually prefer the implantable pump, but you can't get it in the US anymore,there are currently 4 US patients still using them, but they have to fly to France every 4 months to get them refilled. The reasons for them being discontinued are not medical, but business and bureaucratic decisions. The implantable pump is not automatic like an artificial pancreas, but it is implanted completely in the body and controlled via remote. The big difference between the implantable pump and the pump I'm on now is that the implantable pump delivers insulin directly to the liver (instead of sub-q) which is how the body naturally does it. Delivery of insulin directly to the liver much better regulates blood glucose and eliminates hypoglycemia. It also requires much less insulin. Sub-q insulin has to be mega-dosed, because insulin is not naturally supposed to enter the system sub-q. Even the miniscule doses I take are mega-doses compared to a non-diabetic. Apparently this results in type 1's being sick and fatigued all the time, but since you don't know how it feels to feel normal, you don't notice. Patients who've had the implantable pump report feeling like completely different people the instant they wake up from the surgery.

I'd love to feel that. :(

10. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

You've mentioned before that Types 1 and 2 are very different, but I didn't know they were that different. Thanks for this info.

There's nothing better than children's artwork. It's so completely uninhibited. Even better are the "Well, duh" looks some kids give adults when asked to explain their pictures. Us adults are just too stupid to figure it out ourselves. :)

11. thestrangequark

^He drew an Ood all on his own the other day!

Yeah, type 1 and type 2 aren't even the same disease. They are two completely different diseases with the same name. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas. Type 2 is a disease in which, due to lifestyle (poor diet, lack of exercise, overweight) OR genetics and age (some very physically fit and healthful people develop it too), usually a combination of lifestyle/genetics, the body becomes resistent to its own insulin.

Frankly, I'd be happy if they re-named type 1. It's not right that there's so much bias and blame for type 2 diabetes either, but I hate all the misinformation and assumptions that come with the 'diabetic' label. Type 1 is not caused by eating too much sugar, it doesn't mean I can't have sugar, it's not caused by being overweight, it is much more dangerous -- at least inasmuch as it can cause death pretty much instantly, as opposed to slowly through complications like type 2 -- and so on, and so on! RANT! :)

12. Mary Ann

Hey, it's well worth the rant. I go on the same way about autistic spectrum conditions, as you may have noticed. ;)

13. thestrangequark

^Goddamn SPECTRUM disorders!!!

;)

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    When I was his age I had a habit of coloring Spock's face and hands red or blue and his uniform shirt yellow. It made for quite the amusing series of drawings and doodles but I had so much fun scribbling Trek and other fictional as well as cartoon characters and then coloring them the way I saw fit.

To be frank, blue skin Spock with a yellow shirt looked awesome. He was like an Andorian who made the rank of captain. :)

15. Mary Ann

I have no good memories of my grade 1 teacher, who was obviously just working for her paycheque, because she sure as hell didn't like children. One of my strongest memories of her is her humiliating a classmate for colouring a cow red instead of a "real" colour. Talk about stifling creativity and knowing nothing about child development. Thankfully there are far fewer of her kind in classrooms nowadays.

16. thestrangequark

^He got the TARDIS right, which is all that matters. Blue skin? Fine. Red TARDIS? Hellz no.

17. Mary Ann

Yes, there must be exceptions. ;)

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Meh. It's just a Mirror Universe TARDIS, that's all. ;)

19. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

[​IMG]

:bolian:

20. Mary Ann

Well done, sir! :lol: