Just finished reading "the good that men do"...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by azzurri08, Jan 18, 2008.

1. azzurri08

azzurri08 Lieutenant Red Shirt

This book was very very good. I'm very glad that Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin have written this book. My only question is: are the upcoming stories such as "Kobayashi Maru" going to continue with Trip's story as well?

Keep up the good work guys! :bolian:

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Why take the trouble to do the big set up, then ignore him? ;)

3. azzurri08

azzurri08 Lieutenant Red Shirt

True...I guess it's just because I read bit about what the story is about online and it didn't mention anything about Trip.

here's another question though:
    Seeing as I really enjoyed this book, how does rate against other ST books as I'm sort of in catch up mode. I still have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks Therin!

4. Therin of Andor

^I'm only guessing, you realize. The ENT Relaunch intends to cover the Romulan/Earth Wars, IIRC.

I know people slam "These Are the Voyages..." but I was watching (only) all of the five captain interviews and introductions on my "Captain's Log Fan Collection" DVD boxed set the other day and, after hearing Scott Bakula's heartfelt intro to TATV, I let the episode actually play on, and was getting totally sucked in by it.

I don't know whether to say, "It's not that bad!" because I didn't mind it the first or second time (and friends who've never watched ENT loved it as a TNG episode!), but I did enjoy it anew, especially now we know the real story (ie. "Last Full Measure" bookend scenes; and "The Good That Men Do") and that the holodeck program Riker and Troi are watching is deliberately-altered faux history.

It also made me think about fans' anger re the new characters' personality changes through "Resistence", "Q&A" and "Before Dishonor", and it got me thinking back to my old analogy that the ST fiction we read are akin to historical novels. As if Dillard, KRAD and PAD are all extrapolating different personalities and motivations for characters because they are fictionalizing personal and ship's log entries for a paying audience. And that history remembers different people in different ways due to different author and editorial choices, and that they my be attributed personalities and motivations that are not 100% accurate.

I know people who detest TATV wont be convinced it has any merit, but I like it. And TGTMD is excellent!

5. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Not sure if that was merely a typo or a play on words with regard to how the book is revered around here, but "Before Dishonor" is the book to which he's referring.

6. Therin of Andor

Actually, it was an edit I made to the post that didn't "take" this morning. Bad enough that I have to remember to type "Dishonor" and not "Dishonour".

7. TigerBait

TigerBait Captain Captain

arrggg, i was just getting to the end of Missing In Action and was finally hoping that i could go back and catch up on some of the lost era books, but no.

No, I've got to go get this book now, thanks for the recommendation :)

8. TigerBait

ok, just picked it up, i like how the dates in 2155 are all in January and February...I can follow along in real time, only about 150 years earlier.

if this is anything like Abyss by MAM and AM then i'm sure i'll be happy, it's good to hear how Nog and Jake ended up too.

9. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

You mean Rogue. Abyss was the DS9 installment by Jeffrey Lang and David Weddle. But it does kind of have that good old section 31 feeling that Rogue had.

10. TigerBait

ooo, that's right, hey i read em all, although cloak was tough to get through, and that was the shortest of them all.