Ben Sisko’s hair

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captrek, Jul 16, 2009.

?

Which is your favorite look for Ben Sisko?

1. hair on scalp, not on face

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. hair on scalp and face

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. hair on face, not on scalp

70 vote(s)
    85.4%
  1. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Hair on face not on scalp.

2. flightmech73

flightmech73 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I had to pic the third. See there's was a show I used to watch as a kid called Spencer for Hire. Some of you may remember that one. Before Samuel L Jackson Theres was a guy who played a man named Hawk When i first saw Hawk with hair on his head and no beard I was shocked! A little piece of me that thought this new Commander Sisko dude was gana be a bad mutha, died when this guy showed up and was not the strong Do anything guy I expected.

For those who dont know what im talkin about hears an article i found.
    http://worldofhurtonline.com/2009/05/29/the-unsung-bad-mother-awards/

3. votd

votd Commander Red Shirt

Definitely bald with a goatee paired with the FC uniform.

4. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

While I never watched the show, it is the reason I preferred hair with no goatee... otherwise it was just Hawk in Space.

5. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I liked him better with hair on his head. The bald head made him look too angry half the time (IMO).

Not usually into guys having facial hair, but it looked okay on Sisko.

6. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Bald with a goatee, came across as more nmature and even fatherly at times. Definitely helped with a commanding presence in my opinion.

Vons

7. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

he wasn't too hard to look any way he went!

8. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I like the contemporary look..has anyone noticed that in Trek, especially T.NG, and earlier episodes of DS9, the hairstyles were very...bland, comformist, especially for a futuristic, free society?

9. Odo's_Bucket

Odo's_Bucket Commander Red Shirt

They're in uniform. So no. Hairstyle is part of a uniform usually.

10. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The last option, without a doubt.

11. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Usually only in military organizations, which Starfleet is not.

12. Odo's_Bucket

Not this tired argument again. :rolleyes:

They are military.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/military_references.htm

It's been said, referred to, implied, admitted, alluded to and outright blatantly spoken, several times that Starfleet is military.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the beard in Picture #2 fake for that episode?

14. DiSiLLUSiON

I don't agree. However, even it Starfleet were military, the military usually lets haircuts be as you like, unless it impacts performance. Not every country expects their military officers to have short cut or shaven scalps.

15. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the first time I've ever heard that. How can Starfleet not be military when it has such things as ranks, courts martials and enlisted personnel?

16. Odo's_Bucket

Not true. The military has strict regulations regarding the style and wear of ones hair. It's part of the UCMJ.

Grooming standards for men:
    - Hair will be neat and clean and present a well-groomed appearance. Hair above the ears and around the neck will be tapered from the lower hairline upward at least 3/4 inch. Hair on the back of the neck may not touch the collar. Hair will be no longer than 4 inches.
    - Sideburns are permitted, but they are to be an even width (not flared) and end with a claen-shaven horizontal line. Sideburns cannot extend below the middle of the ear.
    - While in uniform, men may wear either one necklace or choker, but it must not be visible.
    · Grooming standards for women
    - Hair must be neatly arranged and styled to present a neat feminine appearance, but may not fall below the lower edge of the uniform collar. The only ornaments permitted in the hair are bobby pins and barretts (maximum of two) of a color that matches the hair.
    - Fingernails must not exceed 1/4 inch measured from the tip of the finger. Nail polish must be of a soft shade, complementary to the skin tone.
    - Cosmetics should be of conservative color and applied sparingly.
    - Earrings must be the 6mm ball (approximately ¼ inch) type with a brushed matte finish. Either the screw on or post type may be worn.
    - E-6 and below must wear silver earrings.
    - CPO and Officers must wear gold. Note: small single pearl earrings are authorized for dinner or formal dress uniforms.
    - While in uniform, women may wear one necklace or choker, but it must not be visible.
    - The wearing of a maternity uniform is mandatory for all pregnant women in the Navy when a uniform is prescribed and regular uniforms no longer fit.
    · Articles such as pencils, pens, watch chains, pins, jewelry, handkerchiefs, combs, cigars, cigarettes, or pipes must not be worn or carried exposed upon the uniform.

http://advancement1.tripod.com/milreq32ch2.html

17. DiSiLLUSiON

In the US perhaps. As I said, not every country expects their military officers to have short cut or shaven scalps; these rules differ between different militaries. And I doubt Starfleet, if it were a military, would be founded solely on the rules and regulations of the US military.

Beyond those things, there are also lots of aspects of military service you won't find in Starfleet. That's why that debate has been going on for ages. ;)

18. Odo's_Bucket

There are very few militaries that don't have uniform and appearance standards and regulations.

19. Odo's_Bucket

More than once, on Star Trek, we have seen the uniform standards enforced. We've seen the hair and appearance standards enforced. I'd love to get a list of those times put together to present to you along with the numerous times a Starfleet officer has called themselves a soldier and the times throughout when Starfleet has been referred to as the service and or the military. Countless examples exists, and anyone who claims Starfleet isn't military obviously doesn't pay attention enough.

20. DiSiLLUSiON

Of course, every military has regulations of some sort. However, the the actual regulations itself and the amount with which they are enforced tend to differ. Not only that, but aside from the times we did see certain regulations enforced, we've also seen a large amount of cases where strange or unpractical haircuts and improper uniforms have been allowed in Starfleet. As such, ascribing the regulations of a current-day military to Starfleet seems a bit strange.