Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

In the CBS D interview on TrekCore its said that besides sharing some elements they acted independently of each other. Hopefully CBS D and the FX house responsible for reassembling Season 4 are working closely so that it doesn't happen again.

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yup, HTV should have been an extension of CBS-D not a completely independent entity. CBS set themselves up for the fall on that one, with no consistency control and HTV clearly deciding to take a rather different approach, it was domed to fail.

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched Schizoid the other night, and it definitely looked SD to me. I think instead of re-editing and compositing all the original shots (some of them might be unavailable, like the shots from the movies), they just composited the original SD insert.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

That's just like the shot I mentioned from "Q Who?" That looked like it came from a standard def VHS.

5. NewHorizon

Didn't CBS-D say that they have so far been able to find everything? I think HTV just screwed stuff up.

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

The shot in "Samaritan Snare" when Troi enters the bridge is not SD, it's HD... but it's another anamorphically lensed shot that was filmed in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and then pan & scanned in post to transform it into a moving shot. As we know, even CBS-Digital couldn't make those look good in season one because they didn't scan those particular elements in 4K first before they zoomed in on them and panned across them.

The test-screen images in "The Schizoid Man" on the other hand are, in fact, upconverted SD... just like Geordi's VISOR shots in "Heart of Glory" where CBS-Digital just decided to upconvert the shots and composite them into the HD element of the viewscreen, rather than recreate the effect. HTV-Illuminate obviously decided to do the same thing in "The Schizoid Man."

CBS-Digital left one fleeting shot of John de Lancie in SD during Riker's orientation on the battle bridge in "Encounter at Farpoint" -- it's when de Lancie says, "Go Back, or thou shall most certainly die."

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I don't really have a problem with those. I wouldn't expect CBS or anyone else to piece all those video images back together. And they fly by so damn fast anyway.

8. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Enterprise bridge obviously uses standard definition screens. :p

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's more likely that the sensors that provide the HD content were malfunctioning due to subspace interference or damage from an alien attack in some portions of some episodes, since the viewscreen content is more frequently HD :lol:

10. picard_2305

picard_2305 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have enjoyed Season 2 of TNG R a lot. I still think it is definitive version of the show.

The effects weren't as good as CBS D but they were not terrible. The one effect I cringed at is one that I did not notice the first time I watched it and if I dont focus on it I can miss it. THe crop error of Enterprise at end of Schizoid Man.

Do you think CBS will correct this error? I can live with this error but I hope no more errors or HTV for later seasons crops up.

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Hehe. You hear that Geordie?! You may see better than humans in certain ways, but at least we can see above 480!

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unfortunately, this mistake is persistent throughout the season any time that shot is used. I've noticed it a few times throughout the first 3/4 of the season (as far as I've gotten so far).

13. picard_2305

You know I never noticed it or any other errors.

Do you still think it is the definitive season 2 ? I certainly do.

14. NewHorizon

I hope it isn't, but I fear it is.

It's certainly not definitive in my eyes.

15. picard_2305

I guess what i mean it is better than DVD

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Having finally finished the set, I'd probably have to rate HTV's work overall about a 6/10 (where CBS-D's was a clear 10/10).

Not every shot was bad, and some looked to me just as good as CBS's work (especially in eps like Peak Performance with the Enterprise/Hathaway battle), but unfortunately there was still too much that looked looked average or subpar. And after awhile, the inconsistency of the shots just became far too annoying and distracting.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It is the definitive version for the foreseeable future. Until we either get the 3D or holodeck version.

18. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I should think so, it exists in other episodes without that anomaly.

19. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've still not bought this. Mainly because I'm still enjoying Season One. I know I'm going to be disapointed, but there's no chance they're going to correct this is there?! And some of those special features look fabulous.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if one of the reasons I'm moving a lot slower on Season 2 than I was on Season 1 was because of the picture quality and I had actually just seen Season 2 last year. I love the set, don't get me wrong, but the quality really does leave a lot to be desired and there hasn't been anything that's wowed me.

Well, tonight I finally saw an episode on this set that might have been enhanced by HTV, and that episode was Pen Pals. Maybe it was all the space shots, but this episode looks a lot better than it did. I love seen the changes in the planet, or the galaxies, and Picard on the horse was a nice shot.

However, did anyone notice a change in volume during this episode. It was when Data and Picard were talking in the Holodeck. Like right after Picard got off the horse, it seemed like the volume had gotten lower and I had to turn it up. It's not a big deal and maybe it was just me but it was almost shades of Season 1's audio issues, let alone what HTV has done. Still, Pen Pals is a much better episode now than it was on the Standard DVDs.