Tenth Planet Episode 4 will be animated for DVD

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 28VulcansLater, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ooh, I don't care for the Flash animation style they're using. They had something similar in the animated reconstructions I have seen ("The Invasion"), but there wasn't as much motion in those and thus the visually annoying aspects of Flash animation were more downplayed (in fact, it kind of reminded me of Filmation's limited-animation style from shows like the animated Star Trek). I did like the Troughtonesque eye roll at the end, though.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

The best way of disproving a rumor! I love it!

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Fantastic! I guess Reign of Terror's numbers were good enough after all. (Or someone at the BBC is being extra generous to the anniversary DVDs since Moffatt seems to be all tied up right now.)

6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

These animations would have been in the works before sales figures for "The Reign of Terror" were available. What's more likely to hinge on those figures is animation for the mostly-already-released stories that are 50% complete: "The Crusade," "The Moonbase," maybe "The Underwater Menace."

7. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

A preview clip has been released. Guess which scene it is. :techman:

[yt]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASEpjDsLGo[/yt]

8. Christopher

Wow, I hope the whole thing looks that good. The "Ice Warriors" clip they showed looked like the cheap Flash animation they have on some Adult Swim cartoons, but this had more of an anime flavor. But since this was a recreation of footage that actually does exist, it might be more fluid and detailed than the rest.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The regeneration sequence was great - never seen it in context though, just the actual regeneration fade we've seen in other media. I just wonder why they couldn't just use that one? Or was that just so ridiculously washed out that it would be pointless?

And did I miss something, or were Ben and Polly locked outside one instant, and inside the next? 1960s editing?

Mark

11. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

The problem is animation is just so insanely expensive, even the stuff on the cheaper end with minimal actual animation that they're using here. The more episodes that need doing, the lesser the likelihood they would see that money back.

The higher quality stuff that Japanese studios like madhouse or toei put out would cost over £100,000 per episode, which there's not a hope in hell they'd ever recoup from the dvds.

13. Davros

Satisfying my desires as a fan is a higher priority than their profits, but I might not be objective on this.

14. Christopher

Except that if they don't make profits, they can't afford to satisfy any of our desires as fans. So they're not separate or contradictory goals. The less profit they make, the less product we get.

15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ Yeah, I think we all know that.

16. Christopher

People who pirate books, music, and movies obviously don't know that. I hope you're right that nobody here falls into that category.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm about 99% certain Davros's comment was a joke.

18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't read too much into what I said. I simply stated that we understand the profit motive.

Mr Awe

19. Davros

And you would be 99% right:)