How was your Thansgiving?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Nov 23, 2012.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine was quiet; Hubby had a 10-hour workday. No turkey. No big meal. His brother called around 5pm, that the family was going to be having something after all. They're not big on celebrations. The mom is too old to cook like that anymore and the rest can't be bothered. Which means this brother knew around 2pm but didn't call. I had already eaten leftovers so I skipped. Hubby was just tired of his siblings' procrastinations and agreed with my skipping it.

But I miss turkey. I think next year, I'll just buy a pre-made meal for the two of us. Hubby likely won't be working holidays after his year--he's working Christmas Day too and three weekends in December. Lousy scheduling.

On the plus side, I got to catch up on watching The Walking Dead! :)

Hope the day was better for you guys!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Mixed feelings. I hosted at my place and it was six people (and a little kid), plus me. The event itself went off shockingly well. Was my second time trying a turkey and it was remarkably better than the first. I made a couple of sides and everyone pitched in. Everything was delicious and we had a lot of fun after.

It was just a different sort of Thanksgiving.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have no idea. I can't remember that far back.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Ours was in October and the turkey and pumpkin pie were great. Thanks for asking.

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

My Thanksgiving was nice and quiet, mostly subdued this year. As I mentioned in another thread, there have been fewer of us in recent years due to family conflicts and break-ups, etc.

The food was no less excellent. We had two turkeys: mine was store-bought from Nob Hill Foods, and my brother also ordered a roasted one from an Asian supermarket. The whole family watched Expendables 2 on Vudu. :lol: It was a fun popcorn flick. We took pictures, we ate, we took more photos, and we ate some more. Then I had to take a nap in the afternoon. :)

Photos

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Not bad. It was the first Thanksgiving since my Father died, so my Mother cooked and the rest of us did all the other little whatevers that he used to do. We had all the usual amount of laughs that we have when my siblings and I are in the same room. I was pretty tired, though, because it was a long week at work (even though it was only three days) and I didn't sleep well the night before, so I was kind of half-dozing the whole time.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Very nice. More so for the fact that I refuse to celebrate Thanksgiving (and mosr other "family" holidays for that matter). No once a year false politeness, no once a year "Oh we shouldn't have let <insert issue> come between the family ~sob~" And above all, no family but the wife and kids around to annoy me--and I'm used to the them annoying me.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

It was nice. We ate dinner (my parents, me and my niece) and watched the Castle marathon on TNT (the niece played games on her computer all day). Nice and quiet...just how I like it.

9. slackbladder

slackbladder Lieutenant Junior Grade

awful. they only had about 3 beers for me where i went.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2dwPTnsyA[/yt]

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I went out Wednesday night with a bunch of random friends from high school. After the bars closed, we ended up at one of their houses...until 5am.

My Thanksgiving was hungover. :lol:

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

"Meh" which is about the best you can expect when you're dealing with a holiday that includes lots of relatives but no gifts.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Thanksgiving was... about what I expected it would be. Spent the afternoon at my friends' house, helping them get their feast together and playing bartender. We ate around 2:30pm. Around 4pm, I reluctantly left and drove down the street to my Grandma's house to help my actual family get ready for their own dinner. There was plenty of bickering and whining (exactly what I figured), especially for the first couple of hours. I got a headache, which didn't help things, either. By 7pm I was out the door, away from the annoying family, and on my way back to my friends' house for pie. There had been discussion of either going to the insane Black Friday store openings for fun, or going to the movies, but my friends got tired and so those ideas were scrapped. Instead, we sat around the house and watched a movie on Netflix.

14. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

still better than over here in Europe where we have no Thanksgiving (logically, being the native population of this continent).
    For us it was a normal boring working day (and lousy weather).

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

October? Canadian weirdos :p

My family didn't do anything this year, though we normally wait till the Sunday after when we do.

I do miss the turkey. My mom and/or sister would cook it, then strip all the meat off and heat it in the juices. Even the white meat would be juicy & moist.

And the Brownberry stuffing mix with ground beef added.

16. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Mine was nice, but strange since my sister went to Disney World so it was just my parents, me, and my grandmother. It was peaceful, and the food was good.

17. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

October is not a bad idea imo - much better weather! The Harvest feast here in Bavaria is in October, too. It's nice to have the traditional roast goose or duck in a sunny beergarden.

What are brownberries? I've never heard of them before. Or is it a brand name?

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ It's a brand name of stuffing mix. Comes in a bag & there's a few different kinds. We usually had the herb style.

Turkeys seem to know what month things are coming as they seem to start attacking people around this time of year. Maybe the October thing is to keep them off balance.

19. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I moved much closer to home this fall to take a new teaching job. We made the (now) half-hour trek to my folks Thursday morning. Ate lots and lots of great food. Had a large amount of alcohol to drink. Initiated my cousin's fiancee into the family with the family card game. My Dad and I were really mean to her. She survived (which means she can join the family). Hung out at my folks house yesterday and then went out for fish fry last night. Came home last night and now having a quiet weekend with my wife and daughter.

20. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was bittersweet. It's becoming more and more clear that my Grandfather's health is deteriorating. It's either that the chemo's affecting his hip or the cancer has metastasized to his bones; he can barely walk now. We took a lot of family pictures because everyone recognizes that this is probably his last Thanksgiving.

Friday and Saturday we played lots of bridge.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012