Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Stephen James Walker says he's heard it'll be two *stories* rather than two episodes, which would tally with the edits to the Radio Times article. And "Web" and "Enemy" have, along with "Marco Polo," been part of the rumor for a while. Interestingly, while Paul Vanezis denied at various points that all three had been found and that "Web" had been found complete, he never said anything about "Enemy" by itself, or about most but not all of "Web."

...I'd like to be the first to say that "Web" doesn't live up to its reputation. ;)

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Web and Enemy matches what I'm hearing, right or wrong.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, what time would an announcement like this be made? Around Noon or bright and early before Noon?

(Here in California in the USA, it appears we are 8 hours behind London, so, getting up at 4:30am or 5am, I expect I'll be able to wake up to posts about the announcement, if it's done by Noon). I assume at this point, there is no doubt there will be some kind of announcement Tuesday, that it is pretty much confirmed something is being announced? (even if it's a denial because it's all hogwash)

4. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know and I've been looking at these links and many of them are saying two episodes, not stories, with more to come later. Is it possible that they'll show one each remastered episode (all assuming there's anything to the rumour in the first place) from EOTW & WOF as a taster to whet our apetite and then release them all (however many there may or may not be) on DVD next year? By the way I just finished watching Terror of the Zygons and its extras on DVD before logging in here so I'm pumped for this news.

5. Brendan Moody

The links say two episodes because that's what the Radio Times article originally said. But it's since been changed to remove the specific number, so there's no information on how many episodes, if any, are being announced or released, or how many stories they're from.

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, judging by what he's just tweeted, Mark Gatiss got his invitation.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Oh my giddy Aunt!</p>&mdash; Mark Gatiss (@Markgatiss) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/statuses/387159291691814912">October 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say that I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'm past that point! Here's hoping! However, I'm expecting "just" a couple of episodes. Would love to think stories but that would be off the charts fantastic.

However, I do wonder if the BBC would release 2 individual episodes via iTunes? They didn't do that last time right? I know one went onto the Aztecs special edition DVD.

Mr Awe

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of the Aztecs, they're showing that story on Watch (UK) this Saturday along with a bunch of other Who stuff.

9. StCoop

Daniel Hall did say that if the Aztecs SE hadn't already been planned that's how it would have been released.

While things might change tomorrow as it currently stands there's only three DVDs left to go and their contents are locked down at this point.

10. Mr Awe

^ Got it. So, if anything is released via iTunes it may suggest that its individual episodes rather than full stories which would presumably get their own DVD release?

11. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just noticed that there's a Missing Believed Wiped event at the National Film Theatre tomorrow night: it's supposed to be a package reshowing past recoveries requested by attendees at past screenings, but it's one hell of a coincidence if there's no connection...

12. Brendan Moody

If it's all true, Tom Spilsbury either wasn't invited or is still playing dumb: https://twitter.com/TomSpilsbury.

"Nothing planned for tomorrow, I don't think" and "It's about some iPlayer thing, isn't it? No, I won't be there."

Paul Vanezis, on the other hand, retweeted Mark Gatiss' "Oh my giddy Aunt!"

The "iPlayer thing" is a keynote speech about technological challenges facing the BBC by Director General Tony Hall. Some are suggesting that speech got twisted by the rumor mill into the upcoming announcement; others think it'd be a good place to make the announcement. Yet others think the two are separate and it's just one more coincidence.

13. StCoop

James Moran seems to think something is happening too.

I'll tell you what though, if tomorrow does end up passing without any announcement, I'll be staying away from any DW related sites for a week.

Or two.

14. Mr Awe

It's been a serious roller coaster ride hasn't it?!

15. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to be honest after reading the above couple of posts I'm beginning to wonder whether or not there is anything to this after all or whether several different pieces of info have become conflated into a claim that there's going to be an announcement of lost Dr Who episodes.
    What Mark Gatiss could be going to is a screening of these missing believed wiped episodes at the NFT tomorrow and one or more Pat troughton episodes that have been recovered are being shown (and by recovered I mean episodes we already know about), hence the 'Oh My Giddy Aunt'. The BBC DG meanwhile is giving his presentation and as was suggested above its got twisted.
    To put it simply, nothing has been found and its just a screening in one place of a hitherto already rediscovered Pat Troughton episode whilst the BBC DG pontificates on Itunes and such like and if there is any announcement re missing Dr Who episodes it'll be on the lines of 'Sorry to disappoint but nothing has been recovered.' God I hope I'm wrong.

16. Brendan Moody

Best to delete those bookmarks now: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-lost-episodes-update-2347529.

So they printed up elaborate invitations before they were sure they could make the date? If that's actually true (and I don't know what to think anymore), the BBC or whatever responsible entity has screwed this up six ways from Tuesday.

"They have been waiting nearly 50 years for this, so a couple of days shouldn't make any difference."

Tell that to Ian Levine's rage-raddled corpse. ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really love the line "the fans have been waiting for 50 years." Somehow, it just makes me chuckle.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I find myself incapable of feeling about something so distant and impersonal as a missing Dr Who episode recovery. Partly it's cos I'm just fed up of the way fandom behaves when there's a whiff of it - anything found will be dismissed as disappointing compared to the novelisation/audio/reconstruction - and partly it's cos I've been around long enough to have heard it all before, but mainly...

Mainly it's because I've lost people this year - friends and family - and what I want back is my friend (the one who's not dead, I just lost the friend and their friendship). I've looked for feelings about whether there'll be any missing DW found; I've looked for hope, or nerves, or excitement, and there isn't anything.

Oh, I can *think* about it, and appreciate there might be cool stuff to see, and it's important for historical archival purposes, but I can't feel anything about it.

I'd take a geeky conversation with my lost friend over all the 106.

If it's time travel you want, I'd burn every episode that *does* exist if it would get me a shot at saving any of those in my life who died this year...

19. StCoop

20. Mr Awe

So, they're not ready so they can't announce them? Non sequitur. So, it's not ready it doesn't mean they can't go ahead and announce it saying they'll be ready on such and such date. Seriously BBC!

Normally, I'd say take their time, announce it when they're ready. But, they announced the announcement, it's better to go with that than cancel the announcment! Now, they're just pissing people off! And, I'm usually patient!

Mr Awe