Falling Skies - season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, May 23, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Especially with these long gaps between seasons.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing I'd modify is that there's actually 3 groups of aliens.

The first group(Skitters) insectoid/biomechanical and are the main aliens we see each episode.

The second group(Overlords) the very tall (like 14 feet tall) bipedal creatures who control the Skitters. They don't appear until the season 1 finale and then have some appearances in S2.

In S2 we find out there's a Skitter rebellion and that they were enslaved by the Overlords when they came to their planet. Some Skitters developed the ability to resist the control of the harness and then began the rebellion.

In the S3 finale we have the third alien race (guy in powersuit and space pod) land.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there are actually more than that. There are the little aliens that are like big spiders that appeared in one episode, and the little eye aliens that will have an important part in season 3 (I would assume).

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't understand the relationship between the skitters, the children and the overlords. In terms of picking someone as slave laborers - children I'd think we could be a sucky choice.

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose the kids are more malleable.

This is how it's appeared to me (numbered for ease in case anyone comments or corrections on any of these):

1) The skitters kidnap/capture a kid, attach a device to his/her back, and enslave him/her for some purpose.

2) The attached device seems to both control and become a part of the kid, I don't think parasitical per se, though.

3) It was unclear to me in one episode if the device was actually becoming covered with skin on a human kid, or if that was only on a skitter.

4) Some of the kids have a bit more autonomy; others are under more direct control of the Overlords.

5) At least some of the skitters have parental-ish feelings for the human kids.

6) At least some of the skitters are resisting the Overlords and are seeking humans for assistance in this. Whether just to free themselves or both groups is unclear.

7) At least some of the skitters are working in league with a third group of aliens, who appeared at the end of last season.

8) The Overlords are in conflict with this third group of aliens. Any relationship between this third group and the Overlords or skitters beyond this is unclear.

9) Whether the Overlords are the relative good guys compared to the third group is unclear, but the Overlords appear to be using Earth's resources for their own fight, ignoring the needs of the humans and willing to kill most of them.

10) This third group approached the humans for some purpose. I think this was with skitter help. They could be better than the Overlords, or just be using the humans.

6. RJDiogenes

The devices also enhance the host physically and may cause some kind of metamorphosis over time.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a great summary. Regarding #9 - the only, 'resource,' we've seen them intersted in is scrap metal - or did I miss something?

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, the children are also a resource. We've seen a couple of things (The harness inside the Skitter and the changes coming over harnessed kids) that suggest the Skitters are previously harnessed kids/beings who were turned into Skitters via their harness.

9. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I think we were shown the children were changing. Since a child's body is still developing, they probably make the metamorphosis process easier.

10. RJDiogenes

I hope we someday get to see what real Skitters are like before they are transformed.

11. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really looking forward to season 3. It's not a perfect show by any means, but I enjoy it enough to keep tuning in.

12. Sindatur

Well, I just had a startling experience, I checked IMDB to see if 1 or 2 episodes would be playing tomorrow night, and I noticed Maxim Knight (Matt Mason) was credited for 27 episodes but, Noah Wylie is only credited for 20. My mond started racing...What's this mean, is Tom killed or captured (And taken out of play for the season) early in the first episode? Then I realized everyone is only credited for S1 and S2, but, not yet for S3 (Except for Maxim Knight)

For those wondering, IMDB does say it's a double Episode premiere as S1 and S2 were. Can't wait for the cliffhanger resolution.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got caught up on this through Wikipedia, and the streaming episodes on the official site over the last week or so. I really enjoyed the episodes I watched, and now I'm pretty excited for the premier tomorrow night. Very curious to see where things are headed.

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

IMDB is always wrong when it come to episodes cast are in.

No one can be in 27 episodes when there are only 20, each season only has ten episodes.

15. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I almost forgot this was on tonight. I hope to be around for the first 40 minutes or so, but my schedule is up in the air right now. Either way, the DVR is set, so I can always watch and comment later on.

I hope the expectation lives up to the event, because the promos for it look really good.

16. Sindatur

This is Season 3, so 30 episodes are filmed. It's very typical for IMDB to have been updated for S3 cast by now.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The only thing that's putting me off for the new season is that in the trailers I've seen for it the writers seem to be using the "your child will be special" trope.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not to fond of that type of story either. Hopefully they can manage to make it interesting.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe they'll turn it on it's ear.
    "Special? yeah, we were bullshitting you. Can't believe you bought into it"

20. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

That was a kick-ass beginning! I loved it!

:techman: