Is Star Trek better as a TV series or a film series?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Is Star Trek better as a TV series or a film series?

1. TV Series

58 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. Film Series

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is best on LP.:p

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    A few seconds in and I love Mr Connors.

3. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I'm with the majority on this one . . . TV.

Although in my case, the movies (TOS) were an extension . . . natural progression(?) of the series. But as someone mentioned, you definitely had to be there for the series first.

The new movies serve as a perfect example of why TV is a better format for this subject - all special effects and little thought given to an actual story . . . perfect for current movie goers. Sorry, to each their own.

ME

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I like seven out of twelve movies.
    I like about eighteen out of thirty seasons of television

At 58.3% to 60%, TV gets a slight edge, but it's basically the same. And, I'm sure if I went on an episode-by-episode basis, the TV numbers would drop a little.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread really should have had a poll.

:)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

TV, definitely.

TMP, WoK and Undiscovered Country are all great, the TNG movies are all average at best and the JJ movies are O.K.

On TV, TNG had some great moments, DS9 was fantastic, Voyager and Enterprise were watchable and TOS was, well, great for it's era.

The franchise is WAY stronger on TV.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

26 Posts
    13 TV --------------- 76%
    2 .Movies
    1 .LP
    1 .Radio

:)

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

oh, if we're keeping score then I'll change my vote to Netflix. :techman::p

9. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

TV, though in a perfect world all of the Trek TV series would have had movie-level budgets and f/x.

I look forward a time when I can watch, in stardate order, each and every episode of every series and every movie, no matter how good or bad.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can get Netflix, which is pretty close at this point. They have every episode of every series, and 6 of the 12 movies.

11. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I know that this is actually possible now (and btw, Netflix is awesome if you're a Trek fan), I just look forward to a time when I'll actually have the time to do this. I figure that it will take me a few months, at least, give or take eating, sleeping and restroom breaks.

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, I see. Yeah, a continuous block of Star Trek? That sounds awesome. I'd love to do that, but have a nice big screen to watch it on. I watch them on a 19" right now. So while Star Trek belongs on the small screen, I don't mean quite that small. :D

13. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TV. The big screen has a formula: put the Enterprise, a crew member, and the Earth in peril from some bad guy bent on revenge. Kirk or Picard kick their butts, cue the Star Trek theme as the Enterprise flies away. The End.

The TV series did a much better job of keeping me entertained.

14. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    TV. Especially over multi-strands. It's what makes DS9 so great (and it's not even my favourite series).

Having said that, the best of the films (TWOK, etc) have an epic quality and level of sfx work TV used to find hard to match. Maybe not much now post-nuBSG.

15. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By far TV

16. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Huh-that "formula" is pretty broad, and would cover most episodes as well, since by including bad guys, a plot where ANYBODY in the entire series at a minimum is in peril, you've made a pretty standard "hook." Who would go to see a Star Trek movie where there's literally nothing at stake since no one's in danger, and there's no action.("kirk and picard kick their butts.")

I mean, were you really expecting a Trek movie where the premise is something like "Family" or the big "hook" is that Lwaxana Troi is going to come and make her daughter and Picard uncomfortable? Can you imagine the trailers?:wtf:

17. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Definitely TV.

While TOS was weak on TV and truly found itself on film, the others for me are made to be weekly, episodic morality/ethical/philosophical plays.

The epitome of this is DS9 which has a richness of characterization and story unlike any of the movies. For me, the movies are a sort of 'reward' for the show being so good and the concept being so enduring.

Trek as a movie only franchise becomes diluted, watered down and a mere wisp of its true, intended self. We all enjoy a bit of tommy-gunning the Borg, saving whales and a bit of the pomp of cinema.

But the episodes [The Inner Light, Far Beyond the Stars, The Year of Hell] is where the heart of 'Trek lies.

18. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

TV no question but films are sometimes fun

19. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'd say The Voyage Home broke the 'formula' for the movies. It was a more light hearted comedy romp, with barely a phaser shot being fired. The Motion Picture as well, broke the mould , because it tried to be something cerebral, something akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey (whether it succeeded at this is up for debate). But the tepid critical reception to TMP meant that Roddenberry was removed from creative control of the film franchise, and they did a more straight forward action adventure for the sequel. And most films in the series since, followed the TWOK template.

I think on television, they can tell a broader variety of stories. Everything from political drama, to comedy, to action, to romance, to mystery, to horror, to hard sci fi concepts, has been done throughout the near-50 years of Trek on TV

20. Runetouch

Runetouch Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek has always been better on TV. Mind you, at the same time, some of the best Trek ever came from the TOS movies.