Deanna Troi: What changes would you make

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TS-1838-SWATH, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TS-1838-SWATH

TS-1838-SWATH Commander Red Shirt

Ok here goes,

The writers really screwed up Deanna Troi IIRC from TNG Companion
    She was supposed to be more intelligent than most of the crew.
    Intelligence Wise: Deanna + Data = Spock
    As well the Deanna character was also supposed to be used to explore what it means to be human as well as Data. Deanna was supposed to be a Telepath but during the writing of Encounter At Farpoint she was downgraded to Empath she was supposed to be 1/4 human changed to 1/2.
    Turned into Just Eye Candy.

One thing I'm GLAD they did change Betazoid Females were supposed to have 4 of them :wtf: :eek: where would the other 2 :scream:

So what would you have done with Deanna Troi?

2. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

lipstick bi?

3. TS-1838-SWATH

So here are a few of my ideas:
    Kept her a full Telepath
    1/4 Human
    More intelligent than most of the crew

Episoide Ideas: Spock's Brain A re-work of this for Troi her Brain get implanted inside a being LIKE Tin Man

More Later

4. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

I'd have had her in uniform from the beginning. Probably full telepath or more powerful empath. I'd have given her more interesting lines than "pain... terrible pain..." etc.

5. TS-1838-SWATH

Thought I re-post this here

6. TS-1838-SWATH

More on
    Skin of Evil Version 2:

I still think
    Skin of Evil would work better as Season 3 or 4
    That Deanna and Armus Merge as a result Deanna becomes an Evil Twin Version [E.T.V.] of herself and Armus becomes Good. E.T.V. Deanna is taken back to the ship where she starts to turn on the CREW and use her Telepathic powers on the crew to harm them, the Doctor and the Captian have to figue out if a mind transfer has taken place between Deanna & Armus, Armus is cntrolling Deanna, is Armus a shape-shifter and assumed Deanna's idenity after killing her or is it something else.

The crew has to trun to the Good Armus help

2 Parter or 3 Parter

7. TS-1838-SWATH

I forgot to add Deanna Troi is a Telekinetic

8. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

1. In uniform from the start.

2. Actually attended the Starfleet Medical Academy and has a degree in Psych/Xenopsych.

3. Better actress, and better looking actress, but not turned into "eye candy".

4. No "Betazoid accent" that no other Betazoid actor is ever going to duplicate.

5. No backstory relationship with Riker.

6. Fully bisexual, handled in a mature way.

7. Fully Betazoid, and Betazoids would merely be Empaths.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting ideas.

Also, just so you know, the board software here allows for post-editing and it's generally appreciated if you can combine posts together rather than multi-posting consecutively like you did upthread. Thanks.

10. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would have given her less dialogue along the lines of "I sense you are feeling profoundly sad" when someone's bawling their eyes out next to her. Plus, as everyone else has said, I would have had her in uniform from the beginning :lol:

11. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the sum total of my answer to this is that I'd give her more to do.

I reckon what Troi, Crusher, and La Forge suffered most from was a lack of plot-driving action. Barring the episodes which focus on their characters, everything they do tends to be reactive rather than active. Troi gets the worst of it, on account of the way her empathic powers are used - they never really developed any proactive way for her to use her talents.

12. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On her back it would have made slow dancing more fun :devil: :evil: :devil: :lol:

Terri Hatcher as Deanna

13. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it might've created some conflict if the show really went into the implications of what an invasion of privacy it is to have someone around who's constantly reading your private thoughts and emotions. That's something about Troi that always creeped me out, but was never addressed.

14. TS-1838-SWATH

Another thought I had was make Deanna Starfleet Intelligence and not the ship's Counsellor (sp?). Full Telepath and Telekinetic then we could see her contribute to ship’s security and carry out standard interrogation and telepathic interrogation of those who are trying to harm the Enterprise

15. TS-1838-SWATH

@ Jonnyracefan
    But what if they had put ALL Four In Front :evil:
    Terri Hatcher as Deanna Interesting
    She was transporter operator in The Outrageous Okona

16. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

And this is why I have a fanfic character who is Betazoid - I've written her the way I think Betazoid's should have been written. I've also given her mild telekinetic powers, just for fun.

17. TS-1838-SWATH

1) Yes, although I an see if sometimes during an therapy session not wearing a Starfleet uniform

2) She would have some time at the Academy, But yes a FULL 4 years the Academy

3) Claudia Lee Black
    Aeryn Sun - Farscape and Vala Mal Doran - Stargate SG1

4) American Producers seem to have a hang up with British accents on US shows Rick B thought the viewers would not be able to follow to two British accents on the Bridge. Instead of that accent she used they should have aimed for an accent like Nicola Bryant's Yank accent as Peri Brown, full name Perpugilliam Brown with Doctor Who #5 and #6 OR have her sound British.

5) GOAL :techman:

6) Good Idea, but would Paramount have the GUTS for it?

7) The ONLY Telepaths we have really seen are Vulcan and they KEEP the emotions under raps, it sort of cancels the point of them being Telepaths.

18. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I quite like the character of Troi. But it might be more that I like the idea of her than I do the actual reality of her character. Changes I'd make generally concentrate on things that she already does or qualities she already has but are less developed than they might have been.

She started Farpoint in a conventional uniform, albeit a skirt. I'd have had her stay in the standard uniform.

I'd have had her concentrate more on advising Picard on first contact situations the wa she did in some season one episodes.

It would have been nice to see what it was like to be a Betazoid working with humans and vice versa. We hardly get any mention of that, if any at all. Deanna knows how people are really feeling even when the act otherwise. So, is there some kind of mutual conspiracy between her and her colleagues that she pretends they don't know that she really knows how they are feeling, and so does she?

I like the backstory with Riker. I'd keep it, expect I'd make her be the one to leave him for the sake of her career.

I think Betazoid is supposed to be a matriarcal society. I'd like to see that explored more, maybe in a trip to Betazed and in her relationship with her men.

Someone upthread suggested she should be bisexual. That would have worked, too.

It would have been good if the writers had researched what counselors do and don't do. How they work and how they don't. It would have been nice to see Deanna do some real conseling rather than the "I feel pain" stuff.

I think she had the potential to have an edge, a danger to her because of her empathy and her psychology skills. Would have been interesting to see some of that, particularly in her relationship with Riker.

Troi was a character with so much potential and I think that Marina Sirtis became more adept at playing her as the years went on. I wish we could have seen more of a more thought-out Troi.

19. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I always liked Deanna, but there were some annoying moments:

- There is a vague conversation she had with someone (maybe Will) when she said something to the effect of "well, you've never been a parent" as if her 24 hr "kid" really qualified her. She wasn't the kid's parent.

&

- She was a jerk when she lost her empathic powers.

20. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

^ Oh yeah, I also thought she should have always worn the uniform and would have gone without some of those crazy hairdos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.