Would curing the Phage be a Prime Directive Breach?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Feb 7, 2013.

?

Is saving the lives of billions of suffering dicks a PD violation?

1. Yes it is.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No it isn't.

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Janeway doesn't care about the PD, and she'll do what ever she wants.

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

But Voyager never seemed to have a Phage Cure, so the question is purely hypothetical. A more appropriate question would be, should Janeway have given the Vidiians the formula for bubblegum, so they could patch themselves up that way?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the cure.

Digitize the Vidiian's personalities and live on afterward as immortal holograms.

Worked for the Borg, the Bynars and Barclay well enough.

3. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Except that Starfleet itself had rules in place that superseded "The Prime Directive," we know because "The Omega Directive" was such a rule. General Order Number 1 wasn't a simple black and white rule; it could only be a guideline. Each captain walked that line with their own interpretation and each one crossed that line in someone else’s opinion. We don't see punishment to the various series' captains, so apparently Starfleet didn't see the deviations as problems for those captains in particular.

We do know it was a serious thing, so serious that Admiral Satie tried to blackmail Picard with his deviations. We also see that she didn’t get very far.

4. Guy Gardener

The Omega Directive doesn't exist... To %99.9999999999 of the people in the Federation, and there's a lot more recurring 9s if we want to only talk about how people in Starfleet don't know about the Omega Directive.

The Prime Directive is their highest rule that they're not ashamed of.

General order 12 is to melt the surface of a planet if the Captain doesn't report back to he ship in 24 hours.

General order 12 is fricking Genocide.

How many general order 12s can a ship follow though with, before there's a board on en enquirey?

These are not squeamish people.

Janeway said in Counterpoint that in the case of a Prime Directive board hearing that she can outwit any jury of Admirals becuase everyone in the Admiralty is her best friend and they love her enough to let her get away with murder.

Kathryn is really out of touch with who she is, this captain is not a protected and adored flower who can do no wrong no matter how bloody her cute hands are, this middle aged monster is a furious rancour who scares the willies out of the sternest souls, and if she tries that tact with her bosses, whatever good karma she built up earlier by being the daugter of a good soldier is going to be spent quickly.

The Delta Quadrant changed her.

She has become a savage.

5. Udat

Udat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me eyes hurt from reading Guy`s posts......

I voted no, (Sorry I need to rest after reading Guy`s posts...)

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's lovely what he said about her hands.

7. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

That isn't the point, it doesn't matter how many people did or did not know about the Omega Directive. The fact that it was in place shows that Starfleet Officers with the rank of Captain and above, knew that there was a directive that superseded The Prime Directive. And that opens the door to individual interpretations of other situations involving The Prime Directive.

8. Guy Gardener

Last week we didn't know that Obama could order indiscriminate drone strikes on American citizens. So now that we know this to be a truth does that mean that last week the US Constitution was still more worth less than toilet paper?

Or how about a couple years ago when George said on TV that they were going to send someone to a secret CIA prison, and then realized halfway through saying that, that he wasn't supposed to mention the secret CIA prisons?

There's the standard law for regular people and then there's made up secret different law for the elite... WHICH IS WRONG!!!! ...Or just an ordinary day in a Dictatorship... Or an Absolute Monarchy.

This...

And...

And...

I'm hearing a lot of talk about Star Fleet, but no one is mentioning the Federation Council, or the Federation President who are representative of the people after a fashion in some as yet indescribable manner...I'm thinking that the Omega Directive is not ratified by the current Federation Council, and perhaps any Federation Council, that this is not a secret law, it's a conspiracy just as illegal and rouge as Section 30 running wanton without civilian oversight, checks or balances.

Sure it may all seem selfless and for the common good... Imagine if the CIA and US Military Intelligence had spent the last 60 years running interference against nuclear proliferation using sabotage and assassination against allies and enemies alike in an effort to preserve the peace? Selflessness is as relative as the common good.

For the last hundred years, Star Fleet has given into fear and cowardice, locking Galileo in his tower, instead of trying to treat science like a bitch and lock it down until it, and by it, I mean Omega, is a beast of burden pulling a cart... Star Fleet Blew up a sector during a secret experiment and rather than take responsibility of the disaster, they brushed everything under the carpet and decided that if a similar situation arouse again that they would blow up planets and commit genocide on unimaginable levels in the name a stable stellar ecology... But consider what happens after a botched cleaning? Star Fleet kills millions to hide the existence of Omega, but the News Service finds out, who then tell the Council who have to admit that they are entirely ignorant, even if they might not be, and the entire Admiralty is court-martialed and the council is lucky if it isn't replaced too for being so ignorant to allow such bollocks to carry on.

Bay of Pigs is not an herbal tea.

The Omega Directive is a criminal conspiracy at odds with the spirit of the law, and only seems to supersede the Prime Directive because no one under its sway has the gumption to notice they have been duped into becoming unwitting criminals because the emperor is not wearing any clothes..

The Omega Directive is more of a suggestion than a directive, but who feels compelled to squash Star Fleet's highest law to follow through on a suggestion?