White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise Model

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by plynch, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

^Like I said, it's not just any fictional spaceship, but one that's played an important inspirational role to a generation of astronauts and aerospace innovators. That's why it was put in the NASM in the first place. Even in 1974, the importance of Star Trek to the space program was understood and appreciated. These days, the Enterprise may seem like just one of the countless fictional spaceships out there, but that's because people don't appreciate its role in history -- and that's exactly why we need museums to remind people of that history.

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

You mean like this one? (Sorry, couldn't resist. Please forgive my intentional pun...on second thought...make it double pun if you catch my drift) :rolleyes:

Considering the Space Shuttle prototype (that also didn't go to space) was named after our favorite starship (that happened after our Enterprise had become a part of the NASM?) NASM still seems to be a good home for our starship lady, IMHO.

Bob

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher, you have a good point, no argument here. I never thought of the other museum until seeing it in the other thread, but it feels right upon reading it. We think it would be treated better there.

4. Christopher

^Odd that you wouldn't have thought of the NASM, considering that's where the miniature already is (albeit on the lower level of the gift shop) and has been for the past 39 years. It's already in the right museum; it just needs to be restored and put in a more prominent place within that museum.

5. plynch

No, I definitely know that. Had to ask directions there on how to find the hidden dear. Up the down escalator, so to speak.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'd sign the petition if I could, but I live outside the U.S. and I'm not an American citizen. Still, I heartily support a movement to have this icon properly restored as it should be.

7. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I am signature #23. I think the Enterprise should be restored and moved upstairs. I agree with other posts that the Enterprise 1701 is a unique case and deserves to be among the real life aircraft and spacecraft. What other sci-fi or fantasy TV show or movie can you name that influence so many people and the naming of a real life space vehicle? Yes Elon Musk named his Falcon rocket after the Millenium Falcon but you never heard anyone say that they became a astronaut or scientist because of Star Wars.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Has someone intensified those gridlines with Photoshop? Because I was visiting the model just a few weeks ago... and the gridlines are not that prominent. :cardie:

[​IMG]
    USS Enterprise at the Smithsonian, 2013 by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    USS Enterprise at the Smithsonian, 2013 by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

9. plynch

Likely this will get no traction, but if it does, tptb might still elect to keep it in NASM after a repaint. They would at least be thinking about her, at any rate.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I do like this quote from the webpage with William S McCullars' 1997 pics:

11. plynch

Therin, those are still danged prominent, I'd say. Especially since they were essentially invisible on TV. And reading the documentation in other threads, they were originally quite light even viewed in person, not under full lighting. Be well.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Probably no one has researched the ship more than Gary Kerr. If they ever get around to properly restoring it I nominate they gat Gary on the team.

13. Christopher

I'm reminded so much of the controversy that attended the restoration of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Some art historians and experts insisted that the colors had faded and been dulled over the centuries and that restoring it to more vivid hues was a restoration of its original appearance, while others felt the subdued colors were right and disliked the restoration. Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

14. plynch

Christopher, just asking, how do you like the gridlines? They look so weird compared to what we saw on TV. And compared to what people who saw it in person report.

15. Christopher

^If we're talking about a restoration of a historical artifact, then "like" or "dislike" should be a totally irrelevant concern. What matters is accuracy. It does sound like some liberties were taken in Miarecki's restoration, but without accurate documentation, all we can do is extrapolate what the original might have looked like, and any such extrapolation is going to be a judgment call. I think that no matter who did the restoration and how, there would be some fans who insisted they'd gotten it wrong.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

In the case of the Sistine Chapel ceiling, restorers used pure distilled water to clean centuries of dirt and varnish from the frescoes. The used water was constantly tested to make sure that no pigments or materials from Leonardo's time were being removed.

The brighter, flatter images that were revealed looked too cartoon-like to some people, who insisted that the artist must have added "toning" layers of paint for shading and modeling over the fresco base -- layers that were inadvertently scrubbed off during the restoration. There's no historic evidence that Leonardo ever did or intended such a thing.

As for the Enterprise filming model, we know it never had those heavy gridlines and weathering during series production. They're just plain WRONG.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean Michelangelo, yes?

---

I've seen the model at the National Air and Space Museum twice, but before the restoration and before its move to its present location. Both times, I made a special trip just to see it and was utterly delighted.

I have no comment on the "gridlines" or any other aspect of the restoration, because I'm not familiar enough with the facts.

The mission statement of the National Air and Space Museum can be found at http://airandspace.si.edu/events/pressroom/presskits/museumkit/overview_nasm.cfm:

An objective reading of that mission statement leaves little room for the Enterprise as an exhibit at the museum. The model does not itself represent any actual development in aviation or spaceflight. Although the model might be inspirational to many, the model is not a piece of actual "aeronautical and spaceflight equipment," and, being a model, nor is it mere data of historical, or any other kind of, interest and significance. Considering the model to be educational material is also both a stretch and inappropriate. And, it's certainly not a research project.

The only room I see that could accommodate it in the mission statement is if one considers the model part of a program "to increase the public's understanding of, and involvement in, the development of aviation and spaceflight." However, any such role is surely subordinate to the place that the model has as an artifact of our cultural history. Moreover, the model's function in any such role depends upon how well the model actually motivates future generations to become involved in aviation and spaceflight.

Now, does that mean that the model "doesn't belong" at the museum? Not necessarily. Clearly, Star Trek was inspirational to many present and in past generations, and the public's interest in Star Trek influenced the naming of the Space Shuttle prototype. Those are historical facts, irrespective of how inspiring future generations find Star Trek to be, which arguably provide reason enough for the model to remain at the museum.

Dreaming of flight is a part of the history of human flight. However, I think the museum mission statement should be amended to clearly accommodate the model, as an artifact associated with public interest in space, if it remains.

By the way, I see that there's presently a Transformers exhibit [http://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/uhc/case_transformers.cfm]. While that may be appealing or inspirational to current generations, and provide a draw, does that mean that Transformers should remain a permanent part of the museum?

18. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Oops. Brain fart. :alienblush:

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Images exist of the 11 footer before its restorations as well as still shots (not frames from episodes) of what the model looked like during production of both pilots as well as the series. These and other behind-the-scenes shots can be compared directly with what the model looks like now.

Such heavy weathering as well as the exaggerated gridlines (as well as lines added that were never there in the first place) can clearly be seen to have not been there when the model was in its prime. I can't believe this is really being contested. The model as it exists now is an erroneous interpretation of what it once was. I won't say it's a defacement because I don't really think that was the restorer's intent. However, altering signage on the model (even if it was normally hard to see) is a blatant change bordering on vandalism. It's near akin to historical texts being tweaked and altered during translation or restoration simply to suit someone's more contemporary agenda.

Repainting, while certainly time and labour intensive is actually a relatively minor issue here I think. The structure of the model is a bigger issue. Should it be moderately repaired and then put on display with appropriate supports (perhaps plexiglass)? Or should it basically be dismantled and some internal components replaced and/or added to better hold everything together? There is also the issue of replacing previous restoration parts that are clearly inaccurate. Sure these won't be original parts (since the originals were lost long ago), but they would be more accurate to those lost parts than what the replacements that are currently there. Also during reconstruction it should be relatively easy enough to restore the original lighting effects.

This isn't an impossible or even a monumental tasks---old items and artifacts are restored/refurbished/reconstructed all the time. The real issue here is will. Fans obviously think this is important, but the real question is whether those presently responsible for the model can be convinced that it is important as well, important enough to act.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth I've shared this on Hobbytalk where I also frequent and on Facebook as well. It just so happens that on Facebook I am also friends with Canadian SF author Robert Sawyer (who I've met a number of times---how we became friends) and Robert knows a lot of people in the U.S. in and out of the SF field. I also know he's a huge TOS fan as well as an equally devoted fan of the TOS Enterprise.