The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That does seem bizarre, doesn't it?

Who knows, maybe they'll encode an "Exterminate!" anyway, even though we as the audience never witnessed the SWD talk on camera. Personally, it won't bother me either way. I just want that distinctive "casing" to add to my collection.

Actually, my favorites outside the Doctors themselves and the original "Flight Action" TARDIS with the illuminated windows and signs, is Davros. I figured I would have to "settle" for just the Julian Bleach version from "The Stolen Earth". So I was thrilled when CO announced the release of a Terry Molloy "Resurrection..." version. Because I knew to recoup the development costs a Michael Wisher "Genesis..." variant would eventually be announced, too. What I did NOT expect was the David Gooderson "Destiny..." version (a deeper "wash' to the face details) and another Molloy with a shot off hand "Revelation..." tweak. That irked some fans, but I was in hog heaven! Later, we also got Davros in the Emperor casing from 'Remembrance...". The only one CO "skipped" was the Great Healer "decoy". Since that would have required a whole "desk" arrangement that couldn't be reused for something else (unless they just "made up" something), I can understand why CO didn't bother with that one.

Oh, I partially take that back. One other item that blew me away was the 18 inch tall "voice command" Dalek! That is the next best thing to owning a life sized prop! Here's an irony. Remember how the science elite praised Davros for having perfected "voice control" of his travel machine in "Genesis...", a process that seemingly only he could design? Yet, here's a "toy" that responds much the same way!

Sincerely,

Bill

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Hey, now. I resemble that remark. :lol:

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:whistle:

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeesh. Part of me is glad that DC Universe is now dead. It means I can leave the freaking collecting community for it. It is just toxic. Everyone throwing blame at everyone else, and saying that the sub failed because they didn't make the specific figures on their wishlist, and that Mattel are a bunch of jerks for running a business and not going ahead with a line when there isn't a minimum amount of interest.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw pics of Hot Toys General Zod...oh Rao...they did an incredible job with him. I wish I could afford these :(

6. cooleddie74

There's a link posted today over at Jedi Temple Archives about the possibility of Toys ”R” Us being the exclusive retailer of many Hasbro Star Wars items starting around the time of Episode VII. It's supposedly some internal TRU memo that got leaked or acquired and then posted online.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Prepare to be gouged! :eek:

8. OdoWanKenobi

I know!:eek:
    I'm kinda glad that I wasn't more enamored with Man of Steel as a movie, or I would be tempted to buy it. That is twelve inches of plastic perfection!

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know it's a long shot...but if they do an Amy Adams Lois Lane Hot Toys figure, then I might seriously considering getting her. I am expecting a Faora.

10. OdoWanKenobi

I'm not. This is the third figure Hot Toys has announced for Man of Steel, and that's about the extent of what they'll do for any line that isn't Iron Man (seriously, they milk the crap out of Iron Man.) They're notorious for not finishing lines. Their Watchmen line had Silk Spectre and the Comedian. Not even Rorschach. They announce the Star Wars license and then make one figure. Granted, a spectacular figure, but what happened to the rest?

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask in, but I don't know where else it would go.

I was browsing Amazon recently, and they had TOS style pistol phasers by Diamond Select for under $50. I know they're not museum replicas, but are they any good? I used to have an old hand phaser that I'd bought from Majel herself, and an old flip-top communicator, but I've since lost both. Money is the prime concern here, as I don't really have a disposable income anymore to spend on stuff like this.

12. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They are things of pure joy!

Uh, that doesn't sound right!

Serously, they are nicely crafted prop/toys and are a reasonable alternative to the Master Replicas brand "functional display pieces" that cost several hundred dollars. Though I don't have the documents to prove it, the Art Asylum/Diamond Direct phasers were supposedly used on camera for the "Enterprise" two-part episode "Through a Glass Darkly". That should demonstrate how authentic they are.

the type 1 "pocket" phaser is fully selfcontained with its own button cell power source to illuminate the emitter and play the audio chip. One can change the force setting which increases the rate of LED strobing and the pitch of the iconic cicada like "shriek". The "site" can even protrude. The pocket unit clips into the pistol grip and runs an LED housed in the larger emitter. The knob at the back triggers the "overload" sequence witnessed in "Conscious of the King".

If one had to be anal about something, anything, they might whine about certain parts merely being painted "silver" rather than having actual metallic parts and trim. But that's a quibble at most.

Get it! trust me, you'll be glad you did! This is the kind of toy I wish had existed in the early 1970s when I was still a preteen running about the apartment complex with my buddy Kyle as we pretended to be Kirk and Spock. Instead, we had the "kid sized" Exploration Set model kit or those clunky Remco flashlight guns (with "Star Trek" stamped in a "lost in Space" type font on the casing) which "chirped" like a robotic bird when one pulled the trigger. (Boy, did I ever feel jipped!)

Sincerely,

Bill

13. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I agree with what Redfern said 100%. I love... LOVE... mine. I also have the communicator and two of the tricorders, science and medical. They are really worth the price so get them while you can!

As for me on the collecting front, I am STILL waiting on my Star Wars Black Series 6" set from Entertainment Earth. My order is on back-order until sometime in September. I don't know if I can wait that long. But since I live in a very small town, these figures will never make it to my local store and the local comic store only has R2D2 and asking $40 for him. :(

But my new Moebius prebuilt Battlestar Galactica will be here on Monday. I will definitely post a picture of her when she gets here!

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Thanks, Redfern. I saw what looked like different versions of the pistol phaser by Diamond Select, and more expensive models listed from Art Asylum. I'm not expecting my money to show up in the bank until after Labor Day, and then I have to narrow things down.

And thanks to you too, AstroSmurf. I missed you on the cross-post.

15. OdoWanKenobi

They are all finally here. The Hot Toys Hulk arrived today, and holy crap is this one massive figure:
    [​IMG]

So here they all are. This is easily now my favorite display in my whole collection:
    [​IMG]

16. cooleddie74

The Frank Gorshin Riddler's getting an eyeful of green mutant ass.

Which on the old '60s show would be, like, only the 82nd weirdest thing seen.

17. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those Hot Toys look great all together. You didn't bother with Fury?

18. OdoWanKenobi

I had to pass on him when he came out. Too much other stuff at once. I regret it now, of course. Aftermarket price is ridiculous.

19. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tell me about it. Hawkeye goes for about $700. :( Way out of my price range.

20. cooleddie74

These new Black Series 3.75” cardbacks and bubbles are a complete and utter mess. The bubbles are falling off left and right, even in the stores. MOC collectors are gonna have a heck of a time finding any mint or even near-mint packaging with this first wave.