La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see your point, and I might just be splitting hairs, but when you join a cue like in Where No Man, the music isn't missing, it's just covered over, or combined, by the first note of the next piece. The music is still there. However, if a piece that was used on the air is not in the set at all anywhere, then, yep, it's indeed missing.

2. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True. But it still begs the question of why they joined them. Put several cues on one track, yes, but join them together, why?

3. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, if you follow the thinking, they joined them because in the episode Where No Man they are joined for their first usage -- I presume that would be the pilot version of Where No Man with the different titles and Act markers but it may well be the same in the syndicated version.

BTW, the cue at the end The Lights of Zetar teaser is Track 27 of the GNP release. I was able to sync it to the soundtrack of the episode exactly. I thought it might be a re-recording, but it would not have synchronized had it been...

4. Dalen Quaice

I'm checking Where No Man right now -- I'm pretty sure, but not postive yet, that the editing is slightly different in the episode than it is on the soundtrack. The cues seem to be joined, but the editing is not quite the same. I'm synchronizing them now; I should have more later and I will also try comparing the "pilot" version to the "syndicated version" - I have the LaserDisc also, but that will take me a bit to extract the audio.

5. Ssosmcin

The pilot version is different, the music is dialed out after "Force Field" in favor of the sound effects. It comes back after a few seconds, but the beginning is lost.

6. Dalen Quaice

I'm having troubles with the track names. On the set, Track 20 says it is Force Field/Silver Orbs. On the GNP release, these are Tracks 27 Silverly Orbs and Tracks 28 Crippled Ship instead. Crippled Ship Track 21 on the set doesn't match Crippled Ship Track 28 on the GNP release? Am I just confused or is that the case?

Nonetheless, the edit in Track 20 doesn't match the actual episode in any version of the episode I've seen yet enough to sync. I'm still trying different versions to try to find one that matches.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You have got to be fucking kidding me. You're making this big a fuss and you haven't even finished listening to the set in its entirety? Are you kidding?

To everyone else:

This is why I hate Star Trek. Not because of the shows or the writers or the movies or what not ... it's the fans. The arrogance, the entitlement, the selfish disregard for anything that isn't exactly what they want, and frankly, the complete ignorance of anything that doesn't jive with what they expect.

This thread was once so fun and now its all but been drained of any kind of joy or excitement. The damn set was a wet dream for most of you in this thread and now that it's finally here, with ~18 hours of music that wasn't previously available, all you guys can do is bitch and complain? Seriously? Seriously? Instead of listening to the music and *gasp* enjoying it, this thread has turned in to a MORE MORE MORE MORE chant for cue sheets and scores cut for each episode, etc. Give me a break! Is there no pleasing you people?

I'm not associated with La-La Land but hot damn, if I were, and I'd been following this thread (especially for the last few pages) you better believe I sure as shit wouldn't come back here after seeing all the rude entitlement some of you have been displaying.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  8. Dalen Quaice

^Sorry I ruined the thread for you...

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Did you not read my post? I wasn't addressing my indictment solely at you.

10. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I tried scrolling back on this thread but I didn't find any mention of mistakes in the liner notes. I think I found one, though.

In The Enterprise Incident, represented on Disc Three of the Season Three set, track 8 is listed as Vulcanized. This is described as the seduction scene of Spock and the Romulan commander. However, the music sounds like more of an action cue. I decided to reverse track 7 and 8 like so:

7 konked kirk -> vulcanized
    8 vulcanized -> konked kirk

Track 7 on the set is obviously the romantic theme, so it makes sense that track 8, which sounds like an action queue, is konked kirk.

It's understandable that an isolated typo like this might slip through with such a large volume of material. I hope it's the only one like this, and that LaLa land lists it somewhere on its website as errata or slip something into the packaging of the remaining sets they haven't shipped yet. We wouldn't want to have anything be mislabeled for posterity.

11. Dalen Quaice

^Here is another: The air date for Charlie X is incorrect.

SEASON 1, DISC 3
    Charlie X
    Music Composed and Conducted by Fred Steiner
    Episode #8, Recorded 8/29/66
    Aired #2, 8/15/66

The episode aired 9/15/66.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which I don't think is fair. Who else besides Dalen Quaice has been acting that way? The rest of us have asked some questions, but I don't recall anyone else coming off so entitled or accusing the La-La Land people of fraud or anything. So please don't tar the rest of us with the same brush.

13. Ssosmcin

Yeah, this was a typo nobody caught. They know about that one.

14. Dalen Quaice

Well really you don't have to worry about me continually ruining your discussion. I'll be leaving in a day or two as I have work as I mentioned earlier -- I'll check back in a few months and post some episode cue analysis if I can, but my time during the year is limited. I would like to analyze all the episodes and compare against the cues on the discs so that I can re-create complete scores, but I don't know how long that will take me due to the sheer size of such a project and the variety of different episode sources.

I presume the set is what it is.

What we have is what we have and all we will have from LA LA Land. So essentially, we have the next 40 years to analyze it and create our own cue sheets.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I think I remember reading on the FSM forums that some of the GNP track names were incorrect, and that the cue names in the new release are in fact correct.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, that description could apply to society as a whole today, not just Star Trek fans. The younger folks in particular.

Oh, and on topic, I listened to the entire set over the first two weeks I had it, and enjoyed every second of it.

And yes, I know your post was not directed at me either.

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  18. Dalen Quaice

Yes, this is correct - at least for Track 20. The cues as presented on the GNP release can be synchronized with the episode in question if edited to match; therefore, these cues were recorded separately. The new set edits Track 20, but the edit is not the same as in the episode. It is close, but not entirely accurate. It is not, as you might say, note for note spot-on correct for lack of a better phrase. The edit in the episode is cleaner and less noticeable. Here on the set the cresendo (I think it is called) at the end of the first cue overlaps the music in the second cue. It does not seem to match "as-is" any copy of the episode that I have to check as the timing is off on the edit. As you mention, the cues are different in the pilot version and I conclude that the syndicated version was used as a template.

And now, I must get to work -- have fun guys! :mallory:

19. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Well that all by itself is EXTREMELY interesting.

It's illegal, right? They were not supposed to use a first-season cue in the third season, without paying for a recording session to re-record it as a library cue. And "Force Field" is not listed as a third-season library cue. It's an odd choice too, to suddenly grab it in season 3. Was "Force Field" used elsewhere?

I wonder what the cue sheets would show for that entry in Zetar. Would they accurately reflect the improper cue? And if they didn't, if the cue sheet was fudged to disguise the impropriety, would that have interfered with Neil et al spotting the re-use of this cue? Zetar is merely a tracked episode, and not a prominent one: probably wouldn't be among the first 20 places a person would look for "original" cues. Is stuff like this a part of why Paramount/CBS does not want to release the cue sheets?

If my understanding of the process is correct, you should find that the audio from the Laserdisc syncs perfectly to the track we have.

I'm surprised. I thought we were getting performance takes, rather than creations of the music editor, with the exception of things like the cello-sweetened Death of Miramanee. My assumption with "joined" cues was that they were performed that way, almost like when you see pics of the Warner Brothers orchestra performing with Bugs Bunny up on the overhead screen. The orchestra & conductor are self-editing or self-syncing the cues, so they line up with the action (except for library versions). That's what I thought was happening.

I'm surprised. It seems an odd choice, especially given the "as the composer intended" statements.

25 pages?? In my browser this thread is pushing 70 pages!

Do you want to go ahead and start that other thread? You have a couple of good examples. Or maybe Warlord is the right choice: I dunno.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know if "illegal" is the word. It's a matter of the studio's agreements with the musicians' union, so I'd figure it's more a breach of contract than a criminal act.

But it wouldn't have been the first time TOS made end runs around the rules to save money -- like getting Wah Chang to build the communicator and phaser props as "study models."

Well, a lot of the cues we hear onscreen in a movie or show are edited together from parts of two or more different takes of the same cue. If, say, the first half of one take sounded better but the second half of a different take sounded better, the music editor could've mixed and matched to get the best version of the cue overall. So even a single isolated cue doesn't necessarily represent a single unedited performance. If you look at the reference numbers after the cue titles, sometimes one cue will be listed by two numbers or a range of numbers.

And it's worth pointing out that blending separate cues on a track so that the end note of one cue fades into the first note of the next is far from an unprecedented practice in soundtrack albums. It's often done intentionally to create the impression of a "suite," a continuous piece of music. It's not what I would've preferred here, but it's hardly a shocking departure from soundtrack-album practice.